Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Upgraded fuel supply but the braided lines have a fuel smell.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Upgraded fuel supply but the braided lines have a fuel smell.

I ran #8 feed + #6 return with an Aeromotive boost reference regulator. I used Aeroquip braided lines. When I park the car in the garage the gas smell is so strong it feels like I might blow up the garage when I hit the opener. I have checked it thoroughly for leaks including pulling the tank. The line smells like gas anywhere on it. The gas smell is sweating through the line (it is not wet). I tried a 3 foot piece of Earls striped line as a test because I was told it would not do this. The Earl's line seems to smell also. Whats it going to take to rectify this problem?
Old 11-25-2003, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same exact issue and have had it since putting in the fuel system. Cept I went with earls lines and earls fittings. Now after a couple of months i started to get EVAP errors. I have a feeling that's where the issue is. I would think if the leak was in the supply line and there was enough of a leak to put off that much of an oder than it would spew fuel like no tomorrow. But just like you have aI no leaks, no drips, no sign of anything wrong with the pressure line. I only replaced my supply line with braided line. I used my old supply line as the return line and left the EVAP line as is. Now at one point I broke the little white plastic clip that holds the little black EVAP canister(the one that sits on the intake) to the throttle body. But everytime I check that line seems securely attached.

Now-a-days I get frequent EVAP leak errors. This might be an area you want to check out. I wish i could find out exactly how the EVAP system on our cars functions. I mean I understand in theory, but a more working knowledge of what each of the components are doing might help trace the leak.

Hope this helps. please post up with anything you find out about your gas smell.

Mike
Old 11-26-2003, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

I didn't alter the evap system and have no codes. I've gotten several opinions and everybody says its coming through the hose. You can grab a piece anywhere from front to back and it smells like fuel. I had never heard of braided line doing this. Maybe I should plumb with aluminum line and just use the braided where neccessary at the fuel rails. If your getting an evap code you have a leak somewhere. It could be as simple as a gas cap not sealing well (the most common thing I see). The dealer has the tool neccessary to perform the flow chart diagnosis (it pressurizes the system with low pressure). Bottom line you have a leak. The canister is back at the fuel tank.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i didnt touch my evap either but got the codes and eventually just dumped the whole evap system..

anyhow these fittings can tend to sweat out some fumes and gas but nothing measurable.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i didnt touch my evap either but got the codes and eventually just dumped the whole evap system..

anyhow these fittings can tend to sweat out some fumes and gas but nothing measurable.
How do you fill up your tank without an evap system?

Mike
Old 11-26-2003, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

unfortunately it is the hose . This is a common thing....this is why many people use the "push lock" style hose because its 1)cheaper 2)doesn't emit fumes

You can also buy some aluminum line and bend up a new fuel line
Old 11-27-2003, 07:48 AM
10 Second Club

Yea, I've got to redo it. I can't live with the smell. Is there a hose that won't emit fumes that I can use the Aeroquip fittings with?
Old 11-27-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
Yea, I've got to redo it. I can't live with the smell. Is there a hose that won't emit fumes that I can use the Aeroquip fittings with?

Seriously, I was planning to upgrade my lines to 8AN anyways. I would really like to know which lines do, and which do not have thos odor.

It's funny, My daily driver always smells like oil(130K on the clock, so it's expected), and my hawk always smells like gas. :p I would like one odor free auto!

Mike
Old 11-27-2003, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i dunno mike, it just works..i just unhooked the stuff all the way back to the soft line over the axle and just let it vent through the little charcoal thingy
Old 11-27-2003, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
Yes, you can run pushlock hose. Aeroquip, Russel, Earls all have their own versions. It is reinforced rubber hose and is NHRA legal as well

Quick Reply: Upgraded fuel supply but the braided lines have a fuel smell.