Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No breakthroughs today. My best 2 passes were a 9.0@152 and a 9.0@151. I was having lots of issues launching the car. I ended up having the boost controller setup back asswards for the first 3 passes and the power was coming in way too fast. It's kind of confusing how these AMS's work. Ramp rates hose me up because you don't define the amount of time in which you want to hit XX psi on the gate. Instead, you give it a target and then you have to select thru a bunch of predefined rates. Once I got my head around that, I started having an issue with bleeding off boost. Not sure if I cracked the FAST, or if somehow a burnt wire can cause a misfire that would cause the BOV to crack open and bleed off the boost. Went to go make one more pass to see if I could duplicate the problem and noticed that my oil pressure was down about 6 psi from what I'm used to seeing at idle. Usually I get about 35 psi hot idle and was seeing 28-29 so I called it a day. Not real happy about the day in general but **** happens.

Tomorrow I'll check the plugs and wires and just start with the basics. If that doesn't resolve it, I'll pull the intake and see if it's cracked.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
No breakthroughs today. My best 2 passes were a 9.0@152 and a 9.0@151. I was having lots of issues launching the car. I ended up having the boost controller setup back asswards for the first 3 passes and the power was coming in way too fast. It's kind of confusing how these AMS's work. Ramp rates hose me up because you don't define the amount of time in which you want to hit XX psi on the gate. Instead, you give it a target and then you have to select thru a bunch of predefined rates. Once I got my head around that, I started having an issue with bleeding off boost. Not sure if I cracked the FAST, or if somehow a burnt wire can cause a misfire that would cause the BOV to crack open and bleed off the boost. Went to go make one more pass to see if I could duplicate the problem and noticed that my oil pressure was down about 6 psi from what I'm used to seeing at idle. Usually I get about 35 psi hot idle and was seeing 28-29 so I called it a day. Not real happy about the day in general but **** happens.

Tomorrow I'll check the plugs and wires and just start with the basics. If that doesn't resolve it, I'll pull the intake and see if it's cracked.
I just started using the ams on my car as well. Are you just using one stage? I dont know what you mean "predifined rates", they are all in psi per second and you can adjust it to the tenth of a pound. If you need it to come in differently you can use multiple stages.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I made my share of mistakes. Instead of buying the 160# injectors with the driver box or a good set of high imp injectors, I bought a set of 80#'s first go around. That was a net loss of $150. I also bought 2 wrong wastegates with a total net loss of $400 trying to save money. Those are just the 2 things that I can think of off the top of my head. Not to mention all the thousands of dollars that I wasted screwing around with strokers and nitrous before this.

Do it once. Do it right. Cost me WAY more than that over the years I'd think. In my first turbo build now. I set my goal and am getting supporting mods that should handle a little higher.

What options are there for great set of high impedence injectors for 1000-1300 rwhp? Or would someone be better off going with 160s from the start? Needing a 410 ci motor to idle around, off boost. I plan to have a boost referenced regulator. #1 priority being to not run out of fuel or run the injectors too hard at WOT, cost is farther back on priority list.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
I just started using the ams on my car as well. Are you just using one stage? I dont know what you mean "predifined rates", they are all in psi per second and you can adjust it to the tenth of a pound. If you need it to come in differently you can use multiple stages.
i think hes using a ams-500
Old 11-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Originally Posted by bad6as
i think hes using a ams-500
Yes. But even the AMS1000 uses rates. Rates are confusing.

For instances, let's just say that I want to put 10 psi on the gate for launch. Then I want to ramp up to 40 psi on the gate over 5 seconds. I have to set Stage 1 to 10 psi (simple enough) and stage 2 to 40 psi. No problem. With the controllers that I am used to using, like for nitrous, you just tell it over how many seconds you want it to take to get from 10 to 40 psi. With the AMS I have to do the following math:
40 (stage 2)-10 (stage 1)= 30 (difference)/5 (seconds)= 6 psi per second (ramp rate)
With the AMS1000 it's more confusing because you start throwing in more stages and delays.

Originally Posted by TexVette
Do it once. Do it right. Cost me WAY more than that over the years I'd think. In my first turbo build now. I set my goal and am getting supporting mods that should handle a little higher.

What options are there for great set of high impedence injectors for 1000-1300 rwhp? Or would someone be better off going with 160s from the start? Needing a 410 ci motor to idle around, off boost. I plan to have a boost referenced regulator. #1 priority being to not run out of fuel or run the injectors too hard at WOT, cost is farther back on priority list.
From the vast amount of research that I have done, the id1000 and id2000 injectors are THE **** when it comes to high impedance big injector response.

Motor's gotta come out. Lost about 5-8 psi of hot oil pressure. Pulled the filter and cut it open. Oil has a gold sheen. Should be a simple bearing swap. Car's not making any noise or anything.

Anyway, this is the second to the last pass before I noticed the problem. I lost the wire on the next pass and boost surging started. That's when I started checking stuff and noticed a couple gold specks on the dipstick.

This would have been an 8 if I hadn't kissed the limiter in first into a 15 MPH head wind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai2SFFJbZeA
Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

that was a beautiful wheel stand
Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 AM
10 Second Club

nice pass man
Old 11-11-2010, 05:33 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry to hear about your bearing misfortune. Couple of questions for you. What plugs are you running and how's your PCV setup in that thing?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

car launches AWESOME!!!! whats the suspension on it??
Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Sorry to hear about your bearing misfortune. Couple of questions for you. What plugs are you running and how's your PCV setup in that thing?
i RUN ngk 7317's. It's a #8 heat range with a standard tip and a tappered seat.

Originally Posted by Bobsmyuncle
car launches AWESOME!!!! whats the suspension on it??
Thanks. Jegster Adj tunnel mount adj torque arm, Jegster adj LCA's, Spohn Drag Bar, LCA relocation brackets, Comp Engineering 3 way shocks, Eibach springs and a S60 rear round out the back. The front are QA1-R single adj shocks and 275 springs. Stock control arms.

If you you close you can see my rear lifting as I take off. That's because I twisted the splines in the driveshaft yoke which had my rear suspension in a bind. That's on the list. I'm going to have to break down and buy a billet one. I'm on my 4th or 5th slip yoke.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

i RUN ngk 7317's. It's a #8 heat range with a standard tip and a tappered seat.
Thanks. What type of IDC do you have with those 80#ers? I'm going to buy a set of injectors for my new setup and I don't want to get too small.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Thanks. What type of IDC do you have with those 80#ers? I'm going to buy a set of injectors for my new setup and I don't want to get too small.
I was seeing 94% with race gas on the 8.9 passes.

I have since switched over to the Bosch 160# Low Imp Inj with the AEM Driver box and am running E85. I'm around 72-74% now on E85 at about the same power level.

Here are some shots from the track rental a couple weeks back.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Killer shots!! Very nice car
Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Looks great man!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 272 Likes on 103 Posts

That was a nice looking 9.0 pass!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

I was hoping the 80#ers would be enough. I hope I can find a good deal on some high impedance injectors
Old 12-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Hey man. First off I just wanted to say that I just read all 25 pages of your first turbo build thread and all 13 of your second built turbo setup and you have one badass combo. I have now decided to go the turbo route with my setup instead of nitrous like I was going to do. I do have a few questions though for you if you don't mind.

Where did you hook the turbo oil feed line too?

What fuel rails are you running currently?

where in your oil pan did you weld in the AN fitting for the oil return? Do you have any pictures of this?

What does your PCV system look like on your current motor?

I have a 99 Z28 so do you think I should be good to go with the 99 ECM as far as tuning? My goals are low 9's or maybe a 8.9X like you ran

I read all pages of both threads and I didn't really see anything about these topics so thought I would ask. Thanks man. Again, basass build!! You are my inspiration. LOL

Tyler
Thanks for reading thru it. Not sure that I have pics to show you where everything is but I'll do my best to describe it.

1) Just above the oil filter on the side of the block there is a little plate with a hole that is halfway drilled thru. Pop it off, drill it and tap it.

2) I honestly don't remember where I got the fuel rails. Most likely Speed Inc. Just make sure to find out what threads are on the end so that you can get the correct fitting for it. I've seen some that are done in standard AN and others that are shallow and require an oring fitting.

3) Oil return is going into the driver's side of the pan towards the top. Use atleast a -10 , -12 if you can get it to work.

4) PCV system is really basic. I have a pipe welded to the back of the driver's side cover and I had the front fill neck on the passenger side modified then it goes to a catch can.

5) 99 PCM should work fine. You'll need to flash it with a custom OS, get a 3 bar MAP and a tune.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love how your set-up looks, reminds me of mine in a way. Most people around me think if doesnt look all pretty under the hood then it cant be fast.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Restricted User

I'm definitely all about getting it on the road. Some people will spend many many hours and dollars to have all the hidden wires and matching AN fittings. I simply don't have the patience or the money to do it.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what gears do you run?

Quick Reply: Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88