Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice! atleast yours is driveable now! Mine runs now though! Get it right and beat the **** out of it
Old 10-09-2011, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome. Can't wait to see how it does when you get it all buttoned up again.

Are you going for 8's again? Is it the T6 flange now?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Awesome. Can't wait to see how it does when you get it all buttoned up again.

Are you going for 8's again? Is it the T6 flange now?
Never did put the bigger exhaust housing on it. Got to talking with some people and the gains weren't worth the trouble unless I intended to do the front cover or go bigger on the compressor wheel as well. By the time that I modify everything but the cartridge and the turbine/shaft, I'd have close to as much money tied up as if I bought the bigger turbo outright and a pile of parts that I can't sell for much. Instead, I decided to save up for the correct turbo and then sell the one that I have outright. Since I bought it used for a great price, I can't really lose on it. At that time I will move the radiator. I still intend to move the intercooler forward and up more which should allow for the air dam to work properly and pickup some air from under the bumper cover.

This actually works out better from a data stand point. Since the last time I was at the track, I've switched to the Holley Dominator ECU and I've changed out the TH350 (which was launch limited to 3500 RPM due to a transbrake issue) to a Powerglide. I'm hopping to drop some ET, mostly from the trans, from those mods and I wouldn't have been able to see what those changes were good for.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any info on the front cover you spoke of? I'm running a t6 pt88 1.08a/r and it has the regular cover, I think its the same as the 76gts compressor housing. Is it the gt47 cover?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by turbo iroc
Do you have any info on the front cover you spoke of? I'm running a t6 pt88 1.08a/r and it has the regular cover, I think its the same as the 76gts compressor housing. Is it the gt47 cover?
Yes. Or you can get the 91mm cover and wheel mod done.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool, I searched but couldn't find any info. Can you upgrade just the cover or do you have to upgrade the comp wheel to 91 in order to use the gt47 cover? Do you know how much these upgrades cost? Thanks for you help!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by turbo iroc
Cool, I searched but couldn't find any info. Can you upgrade just the cover or do you have to upgrade the comp wheel to 91 in order to use the gt47 cover? Do you know how much these upgrades cost? Thanks for you help!
GT47, I think, is just a cover upgrade. Same wheel. 91mm upgrade requires both to be swapped.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Los let me know when you go to the track, I would like to come see you run.

This is Roy from Aftermath performance.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by rss0694
Los let me know when you go to the track, I would like to come see you run.

This is Roy from Aftermath performance.
Hey Roy,

It's still going to be a couple of weeks. I need to resolve my cooling situation.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:20 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been doing some reading on the Dominator ECU. I know it doesn't support output to the OEM gauges, but does is it compatible with Racepak dashes?

EDIT: Did some research and found some answers. Racepak, http://www.racepak.com/Components/EFI.php

230-VP-EFIHOL
Engine RPM
Man Press
Throttle Pos
A/F Ratio
EFI Voltage
Water Temp
Charge Temp
Ign Timing
Idle Air Control
Injector Pulse Width

Does much less than the other modules. I'm surprised they have one specifically for the C6 Corvette.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 10-12-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Restricted User

Holley has a touchscreen that costs WAY less and the ECU does all the logging.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Holley has a touchscreen that costs WAY less and the ECU does all the logging.
I'm not a fan of the way the Holley screen looks and fits. With the 98 gauges being analog did you attempt to rewire them into the dominator harness?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

I've had extensive tuning experience tuning 8 sec or faster street cars (as in real driveability) with HPtuners, AEM EMS, and Big Stuff 3. I've also played with MegaSquirt2 & 3, EFILive, and FAST XFI. Nothing comes close in ease of use or capabilities out of the box. There are far more inputs and outputs than I could think of needing. Integrated 2 step, 3 step, dual wideband, nitrous control, traction control (haven't tried this yet), and boost control is coming soon (at no charge). It's compatible with Low or High impedance injectors It also has the ability to set conditions to turn on warning lights, or pull timing if say a pressure sensor drops below a certain point. Then there is the closed loop wideband that you can do based on one of the widebands or an average of the 2 and it learns on it's own. Note that at idle, sometimes there isn't sufficient airflow over the WB to do the closed loop function so getting the idle right sometimes has to be done by hand. The Dominator supposedly will even control any of the GM electronic transmissions although I haven't messed with that either as we use full manual units.

The interface is super easy to use and the datalogger is outstanding. Needless to say, I like it alot. We have it on LS2Formula's car and have been 8.4 @ 170 so far with it. We will be going to a track rental all day Monday and will be turning the boost all the way up . Trying to talk him into dropping the exhaust so we can do an apples to apples comparison against the BigStuff that he had in there before and ran a 7.9 on. That was also with more boost than we have put to the Holley System yet. FYI, We are still using the AMS1000 boost controller on his car but the idea is to get ride of all the extra **** in the car and do everything with the Holley. The only down side to making the switch is that it will not operate any of your factory gauges. The good thing is that they have these custom programmable digital gauges w/ sweep LCD that you can configure
to read anything and they just released a touchscreen that can be mounted like a Racepak but can be used to tune the car, log on an SD chip and/or display a gauge cluster. It can't be beaten for the price IMO.

Holy crap! I just got done reading about that EMS on Holly's site. That thing fricken awesome! That looks more appealing to me that a stock ECU and EFI Live or anything like that. The only thing I'm unsure about is... can it plug into the factory PCM clips, or do you HAVE to buy the wiring harness and custom make your own harness? It says plug and play, but is it like an AEM EMS where it really is plug and play?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I'm not a fan of the way the Holley screen looks and fits. With the 98 gauges being analog did you attempt to rewire them into the dominator harness?
No but I'm sure you could get the water temp, voltage and oil pressure gauges to work. Probably the tach also. My buddy has a Silverado that already had Auto Meter gauges in it and he was able to share out the water and oil sensors with the Holley without issue.

Originally Posted by SATAN
Holy crap! I just got done reading about that EMS on Holly's site. That thing fricken awesome! That looks more appealing to me that a stock ECU and EFI Live or anything like that. The only thing I'm unsure about is... can it plug into the factory PCM clips, or do you HAVE to buy the wiring harness and custom make your own harness? It says plug and play, but is it like an AEM EMS where it really is plug and play?
You have to buy their harnesses. The harness is made for the application so it is plug n play to the sensors and the lengths. There is a main harness, power harness and injector harness. then there are a couple of optional harnesses available for the additional I/O if you need them.

Hope to have the cold side under the knife by the end of this week.

Also, waiting on a 100 psi transducer from Holley and some poly tubing to switch over to the Holley boost control.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, waiting on a 100 psi transducer from Holley and some poly tubing to switch over to the Holley boost control.
O rlry?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

No but I'm sure you could get the water temp, voltage and oil pressure gauges to work. Probably the tach also. My buddy has a Silverado that already had Auto Meter gauges in it and he was able to share out the water and oil sensors with the Holley without issue.
I was looking at the wiring diagram for the 98 cluster earlier today. I'm thinking it can be done with a little creativity. You may also be able to output the warning lights from the dominator to the factory idiot lights.

You have to buy their harnesses. The harness is made for the application so it is plug n play to the sensors and the lengths. There is a main harness, power harness and injector harness. then there are a couple of optional harnesses available for the additional I/O if you need them.
The more I look at their system the more it makes me realize how perfect it would be for my car. The only issue I have now is I am 99% done with interchanging the interconnects on my 98 body harness to accept a 99 engine harness and PCM. It may make buying a plug and play harness a bit of a pain in the ***, especially considering I did this to one of the oem connectors to get the pins out:
http://64.19.142.15/img638.imageshac...3massacred.jpg

Are the harnesses year specific? They should, but I'm not sure, do the still maintain BCM, AC, etc... function?

Are you doing testing for their internal boost controller or have they publically released that yet?
Old 10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I was looking at the wiring diagram for the 98 cluster earlier today. I'm thinking it can be done with a little creativity. You may also be able to output the warning lights from the dominator to the factory idiot lights.

The more I look at their system the more it makes me realize how perfect it would be for my car. The only issue I have now is I am 99% done with interchanging the interconnects on my 98 body harness to accept a 99 engine harness and PCM. It may make buying a plug and play harness a bit of a pain in the ***, especially considering I did this to one of the oem connectors to get the pins out:
http://64.19.142.15/img638.imageshac...3massacred.jpg

Are the harnesses year specific? They should, but I'm not sure, do the still maintain BCM, AC, etc... function?

Are you doing testing for their internal boost controller or have they publically released that yet?
Ok, just to clarify a little on the ECU and harnesses. These ECU's are not designed to work with ANY of the stock harnesses. In other words, no wiring that is in your car now plugs directly into the Holley ECU. So, in order to get the gauges working on the 98 dash, which has real gauges with individual wires as opposed to the 99-02, which gets all it's gauge data from the PCM, you would have to share sensors. That means that you'll have to splice in to the Holley harness and grab those signals going back to the gauges or double up on the sensors and go straight to them from the gauges.

The 98 cars use a different water and oil sender than the 99-02 cars. The Holley doesn't work with either of the stock oil senders so you will have to replace that with one of theirs or an Autometer type transducer either way. This requires and adapter to screw in which can be bought from Speed Inc and various other places. The 99 (2 wire) water temp sensor does plug into the Holley harness but the 98 (3 wire) doesn't. The 3rd wire, as I have it understood, is for the gauge so you should be able to switch pigtails on the harness and still have the extra wire run back to the gauge. Let me add the disclaimer here that none of our crew is running ANY stock gauges so this is all theory and I don't even do the wiring on any of the cars, so this is the extent of my knowledge on the subject. My roll in our crew is to come up with fast combos (mechanically), tune the cars once they are built, research issues and write the **** up on line. LS2Formula does all our wiring and supplies the facilities and tools to do the labor. BonnarLS2 procures the parts and we all help each other out with throwing the cars together.

The Holley main engine harnesses are either LS1, which goes to the stock sensors on a 99-02, minus the oil, or LS2 which has the extended cam sensor and has the keyway on the pigtail for the 58X reluctor wheel. The ECU's are the same for either as they are just software settings for the different applications.

Hope this helps to clarify.

Oh, and internal boost control is what we are wiring up now but is not yet available to the masses as I have it understood.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Very curious to see what your car runs with management with the pt-88. I am running the pt-88 and kinda wanna know what its limit is. I know its in the thread somewhere but what does your car weigh?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 505OUTLAWZWS6
Very curious to see what your car runs with management with the pt-88. I am running the pt-88 and kinda wanna know what its limit is. I know its in the thread somewhere but what does your car weigh?
3850-3900#'s depending on how much fuel and if I clean out the interior.

As for the limits of the PT88, I've already been there and done that. Wont make more than 22-23psi. I've been 8.9 @ 153 with it. I think I can squeeze a little more ET out of it with the new ECU and Powerglide transmission but I think that the 153MPH is all it's got on my combo.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Launching!

I am gonna be running a 348 with afr225's on e85. Probably be around 3500-3600 lbs and might spray a 50 shot to keep iat's down. Im curious what it will do.

Quick Reply: Forged Iron 370 / AFR 225's / Truck Manifolds / PT88