Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fireball Outlaw Drag Radial Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little bit of progress yesterday...Pemanently mounted the seat...

Close-up of the side mount

Rear mount
Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

fabbed up the tubular steering column.

after adding the support that bolts to the OEM location:

Last edited by Fireball; 03-20-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good Brian
Old 03-20-2010, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

looking good Brain,hopefully by then end of summer it will be a car again
Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the new column. How much weight savings do you gander that is worth? (not counting a manual rack swap......just the column portion)
Old 03-28-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ninetres
I like the new column. How much weight savings do you gander that is worth? (not counting a manual rack swap......just the column portion)
new column + inside shaft = 3.5 lbs
factory column was about 13 lbs

also deleted the factory side skirts (ground effects). I'll just fill in the holes later. 2.9lbs per side

Last edited by Fireball; 03-28-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Started planning out the engine bay. Had a 3 gal summit fuel cell I want to use (mount up front) but it would only fit one way. Unfortunately, the sump would face the front of the car in that direction and that just wouldn't work...so what did I do...I just cut apart a perfectly good fuel cell to remove the sump section, cut a sump on the front side and turned the base around and rewelded. Nice thing too is I was able to remove the dual -8 fittings and I'll just put in a single -12 for simplicity... Holds just over 2.5 gallons of water now

Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
put a rack on the damn thing already... ya cheap skate... lol
I'll be ordering that today...just to make you happy
Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

This has the best link ive found yet!!! Lots of bends, and v-band stuff.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fireball - your build is coming along. I know the amount of work envolved. Sometimes its not the big stuff that kicks you but, its all the small crap. We have over $2K just in fittings and lines.

What are you going to using the "fuel cell" for - intercooler?

David
Old 04-01-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
Fireball - your build is coming along. I know the amount of work envolved. Sometimes its not the big stuff that kicks you but, its all the small crap. We have over $2K just in fittings and lines.

What are you going to using the "fuel cell" for - intercooler?

David
It goes pretty slow since its only me working on it (and only a few days a week at that)

luckily I'm just "redoing" everything. I already have most of the fittings, and should be able to reuse most of them.

that cell is for fuel. Mounting it up front to shorten the lines to the mechanical fuel pump we run...made a big difference in Phil's car. I have a chiseled 5gal water cell in the back for the I/C
Old 04-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was trying to figure out how I could fit a fuel cell in the nose, along with the intercooler and the radiator, along with a gear driven supercharger... and it wasn't looking too good. I'd like to see where you're putting everything Brian, might give me some ideas.

At this point, I was going to stuff the radiator in the passenger's side under the headlight cover, probably at a 45 degree angle from strait with the chassis, then the passenger's side in front of the tire was going to have the intercooler, center for the gear drive/blower.

I was thinking a 1/2 ice 1/2 fuel tank that chiseled makes to put in the trunk area, but then I need a bulkhead, and like you're saying with the fuel lines, if I can stuff the cell in the nose the lines will be a ton shorter and I won't have to deal with a bulkhead, and the fuel pump (I was going to use the BIG magnafuel or weldon pump) won't have to fight gravity.

I don't need the belt driven one you guys are using I don't think... I'm probably gonna be looking at 1/2 the power level (1300 give or take at the crank) Should still meet my goals though, plus I get to run a 28x10.5 slick, no messing with the radials... so I should be able to leave on all it will make.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

In the long run...I think a belt drive is more reliable, consistant and overall cheaper to implement.

I'm putting the water cell in the trunk.

Having the turbo in the nose has really opened up ALOT of room for me.

My current plan is as follows (I think I have enough room to do all this.

From this picture:

1. Mount fuel cell in front of the two bars that goes between the frame rails. (the cell tucks in nice between these two bars and the cross bar on my "removable" front end.)
2. Mount the radiator (22x13 scirocco style) behind these two bars with a single puller fan.
3. Mount vacuum and fuel pump to the driver side of the motor on the motorplate.

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I was trying to figure out how I could fit a fuel cell in the nose, along with the intercooler and the radiator, along with a gear driven supercharger... and it wasn't looking too good. I'd like to see where you're putting everything Brian, might give me some ideas.

At this point, I was going to stuff the radiator in the passenger's side under the headlight cover, probably at a 45 degree angle from strait with the chassis, then the passenger's side in front of the tire was going to have the intercooler, center for the gear drive/blower.

I was thinking a 1/2 ice 1/2 fuel tank that chiseled makes to put in the trunk area, but then I need a bulkhead, and like you're saying with the fuel lines, if I can stuff the cell in the nose the lines will be a ton shorter and I won't have to deal with a bulkhead, and the fuel pump (I was going to use the BIG magnafuel or weldon pump) won't have to fight gravity.

I don't need the belt driven one you guys are using I don't think... I'm probably gonna be looking at 1/2 the power level (1300 give or take at the crank) Should still meet my goals though, plus I get to run a 28x10.5 slick, no messing with the radials... so I should be able to leave on all it will make.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Race your car!

ok makes sense. I wanted to originally go with the burkhart radiator in the nose, but with the gear drive and blower that won't work I don't think, so it' gonna end up in the side over on the drivers side, water pump on the radiator.

The intercooler, I wanted to put on the passenger's side in front of the tire (I'm cutting the frame rails back to the shock towers, and will run a bar off the bottom forward, and another across the top of the back of the headlight covers along the nose, to attach the hood and nose to) which will keep the charge pipe nice and short to the i/c, and then it will be easy to position the end tank so that the charge pipe running from the i/c to the t/b will be a short somewhat strait shot.

The fuel tank, maybe will fit next to the i/c... but I'm not sure.

Other issue is nose weight, I don't want the front of the car too heavy. I'm looking at the block situation now, and am considering a rhs std deck height rather then the lsx just for the weight savings, not sure yet though.

Still alot of stuff to work out. Main concern at this point, is nose weight, will it all fit, and be easy to work on ( I don't want a clusterf$%k under the hood, I'm usually at the track with one other guy, and work on the car alone alot (recently I have had people helping though, which has been great) so I want it as easy to deal with as possible.

I thought about the belt driven fuel pump... but I dunno. Seems like it might be overkill, but then again it would decrease the electrical load on the car a good bit, just not sure how that whole priming deal works and whatnot.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

ok makes sense. I wanted to originally go with the burkhart radiator in the nose, but with the gear drive and blower that won't work I don't think, so it' gonna end up in the side over on the drivers side, water pump on the radiator.

The intercooler, I wanted to put on the passenger's side in front of the tire (I'm cutting the frame rails back to the shock towers, and will run a bar off the bottom forward, and another across the top of the back of the headlight covers along the nose, to attach the hood and nose to) which will keep the charge pipe nice and short to the i/c, and then it will be easy to position the end tank so that the charge pipe running from the i/c to the t/b will be a short somewhat strait shot.

The fuel tank, maybe will fit next to the i/c... but I'm not sure.

Other issue is nose weight, I don't want the front of the car too heavy. I'm looking at the block situation now, and am considering a rhs std deck height rather then the lsx just for the weight savings, not sure yet though.

Still alot of stuff to work out. Main concern at this point, is nose weight, will it all fit, and be easy to work on ( I don't want a clusterf$%k under the hood, I'm usually at the track with one other guy, and work on the car alone alot (recently I have had people helping though, which has been great) so I want it as easy to deal with as possible.

I thought about the belt driven fuel pump... but I dunno. Seems like it might be overkill, but then again it would decrease the electrical load on the car a good bit, just not sure how that whole priming deal works and whatnot.

you can make an I/C fit...(I know...I did) but its ALOT of weight up front. figure 60+ lbs when full of water.

give some consideration to shawn's new block setup...we're building one for my heap....I've talked to him quite a bit about it and its very promising

worst part about a belt drive setup is the need to add a mandrel to the crank.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Race your car!

The mandrel isn't a problem, with the gear drive, you have alot of options for adding accy drives.. so it's pretty nice in that aspect. I am going to run an alt, vaccum pump, and maybe the fuel pump. I wasn't going to go dry sump so I could save some room in the engine bay, plus I am trying to keep stuff as simple as possible... but getting the drive for that too wouldn't be a problem.

I'm still looking around with the motor stuff, I spoke with Kurt for a while, he's got a small ls motor with an F1r that's initally run 8.40 @ 160 leaving pretty much off idle, initial resutls are pretty promising that it will be an 8.0 to 7.80 car when it's done, which is about in line with what I want to do, and the Xi blower is pretty close to an F1r so it's looking good at this point.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

The mandrel isn't a problem, with the gear drive, you have alot of options for adding accy drives.. so it's pretty nice in that aspect. I am going to run an alt, vaccum pump, and maybe the fuel pump. I wasn't going to go dry sump so I could save some room in the engine bay, plus I am trying to keep stuff as simple as possible... but getting the drive for that too wouldn't be a problem.

I'm still looking around with the motor stuff, I spoke with Kurt for a while, he's got a small ls motor with an F1r that's initally run 8.40 @ 160 leaving pretty much off idle, initial resutls are pretty promising that it will be an 8.0 to 7.80 car when it's done, which is about in line with what I want to do, and the Xi blower is pretty close to an F1r so it's looking good at this point.
ditch the alt and go 16V
Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Race your car!

I thought about that... but not sure if that's the right thing to do or not. Granted the car isn't going to see any street duty... but then I'd have to deal with charging it between rounds. I don't think that will be a big issue either, but I dunno if I want to be bothered.

Does anyone make a sealed box that a 16 volt battery will go in? Those are generally bigger then the a normal 12 volt... not sure if it will fit in a battery box or not. If I put the fuel cell in the nose, one of the + sides to that is no bulkhead to deal with, which I would like to be able to do.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I thought about that... but not sure if that's the right thing to do or not. Granted the car isn't going to see any street duty... but then I'd have to deal with charging it between rounds. I don't think that will be a big issue either, but I dunno if I want to be bothered.

Does anyone make a sealed box that a 16 volt battery will go in? Those are generally bigger then the a normal 12 volt... not sure if it will fit in a battery box or not. If I put the fuel cell in the nose, one of the + sides to that is no bulkhead to deal with, which I would like to be able to do.
my 16V fits in a summit/moroso plastic sealed box just fine. there's much more turnaround in a car of that caliber that'll make charging a 16V nothing...just plug it in and go.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Race your car!

The turnaround won't be as bad as it would have been had I tried to go this fast with nitrous... hell I'd be changing head gaskets

Quick Reply: Fireball Outlaw Drag Radial Rebuild Thread