Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AMS-500 Boost Controller Plumbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AMS-500 Boost Controller Plumbing

OK, I am not using CO2 yet.

My first question (very vague in the instructions) is what goes into the "OUT" on the decrease solenoid?

I did find by using the search button that the noids should ideally be located 12-24 inches from the gate and should get a boost signal from the compressor housing.

Should I just "T" off the boost signal between the 2 noids, the top port on the wastegate and the MAP sensor on the controller itself like the diagram shows? I read that the AMS1000 guys are "T"ing off at the wastegate for the boost signal to the MAP.

Activation, I got input 1 down as it is going to the transbrake. If I read correctly, Input 2 wants to go on a WOT switch of some sort (no internal electronic WOT switch in this thing)?

On the AMS500, the MAP sensor is in the control module, so you have to run a vacuum line to the box itself. That said, should I put a "T" right at the wastegate and run it to the control box/module even though it is a couple feet away?

Also, in my instructions, it shows that the "INCREASE SOLENOID" should have air supply/boost entering in port #1 marked "IN" on the diagram. Port #2 marked "OUT" ties in to Port #1 marked "IN" on the "DECREASE SOLENOID". Port #3 marked "EXH" on the diagram shows that it should be plugged off.

On the "DECREASE NOID" port #3 marked "EXH" on the diagram has an arrow pointing to it showing not to plug it but port #2 marked "OUT" shows no plug but also has no notation to not plug it.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing. The solenoid is normally closed, so it won't leak until its powered.

IE, lets say there is too much boost. It will energize the 'decrease solenoid' and turn off the 'increase solenoid' thus removing the pressure from the 'TOP' port of the wastegate and allowing the pressurized 'bottom port' push the waste gate valve open.

as for 'teeing' off the solenoids for the built in map signal, it should not matter. When the controller wants to see more boost, it will open the 'increase' solenoid to allow air into the 'line assembly'.

They are probably saying not to cap off the exhaust port on the 'decrease solenoid' because they only provide one cap.

Those solenoids are 3 way valves i believe.

When they are energized, air comes in from the 'in port' and goes thru the 'out port' BUT when they are 'de-energized' the channel closes, and they the 'outlet port' gets connected to the 'exhaust' port. So, they cap off the exhaust on the 'increase solenoid' that way, none of the air escapes out of the 'top port' of the waste gate.

hope this helps

Last edited by toretto; 10-19-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by toretto
nothing. The solenoid is normally closed, so it won't leak until its powered.

IE, lets say there is too much boost. It will energize the 'decrease solenoid' and turn off the 'increase solenoid'
So to be absolutely certain, the DECREASE SOLONOID should have both port 2 and 3 open to atmosphere and Port #1 just T's in between the wastegate and the INCREASE NOIDs. Correct?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

i updated my post, hopefully it clears things up.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

correct. just follow the diagram. nothing wrong with it.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Restricted User

So, yes? The port marked "OUT" on the DECREASE SOLENOID should be open to atmosphere?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

yes, both the OUT and EXHUAST port on the Decrease Solenoid should be open to the atmosphere.

If you are worried about crap getting in, there are little filter cones that you can install on those outlets.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by toretto
yes, both the OUT and EXHUAST port on the Decrease Solenoid should be open to the atmosphere.

If you are worried about crap getting in, there are little filter cones that you can install on those outlets.
Thanks. Not worried about sucking anything back in. This thing is being fed by the turbo housing.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

you can add that cone, just in case.

Quick Reply: AMS-500 Boost Controller Plumbing