Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Radix on '03 5.3--Adjust fuel pressure????

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radix on '03 5.3--Adjust fuel pressure????

Hey guys. I have a radix setup on my '03 Avy and would like to take the boost up a bit, but I need to know how to adjust the fuel pressure as I think that will be an issue. I have emailed Judd @ Magnusun, but he usually takes his sweet time getting back to me on anything that is not absolutely original on the kit. Thanks for any help!!
Old 12-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Do you have boost and fuel pressure guages? I put a 3.25 inch pulley on my Radix and am seeing 9 1/2-10 lbs of boost and have not touched the fuel pressure reg. I have almost 60lbs of fuel pressure at wide open throttle.
Karl
Old 12-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Wow!! According to Magnusun, that pulley should increase your boost by 1psi upto around 7.5-8. What did you do as far as programming the pcm for injector pulse width and duration? Did you change anything else when going to the smaller pulley? Do you have any detonation issues running that much boost? Thanks for your help!!
Old 12-10-2003, 01:36 AM
Teching In

I haven't done any additional programming at all. I didn't have my boost and fuel pressure gauges before I swapped the pulley, so I can't tell you how much boost I had before the pulley swap. I am still using the same belt that came with my Radix. The stock pulley that came with mine was 3.4 and I bought my pulleys (I also bought a 3 inch for after my header install) from www.Pulleyboys.com.
Karl
Old 12-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Karl, thanks for the input. My guages are on the way. I hope I am not running 9.5-10psi!! That would explain my detonation however.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Teching In

If you are having detonation issues, I would call Magna Charger instead of just e-mailling them. I haven't had any issues at all even with the smaller pulley installed. My only complaint is that my truck is extremely cold blooded now that winter is here and has to be warmed up for probably 10 minutes before it can be driven or it keeps dying. Although I did bypass the coolant from my throttle body when I did the supercharger install and I'm sure that doesn't help.
Good luck with yours!
Karl
Old 12-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Karl, what tune are you running? I already had a predator so I chose to skip the Magnusun programmer--perhaps that is where my problem lies. Johan @Diablosport made me a custom tune, but I am noticing slight detonation even after going back to the 3.4. I did talk to Kevin @ Magnusun yesterday and he felt that it was a tuning issue, not a pressure issue. They really don't like to discuss more boost as they "feel it greatly reduces the reliability and longevity of the kit" and it likely does. But we are talking greatly increased performance here are we not, so power is desirable even in the face of repairs I would think. He was very helpful once I explained that I wasn't trying to blow anything up, just trying to compensate a little for all the power I lose being @ 5200 feet. He said he would have his tuner call me and point me in the right direction when I get my LS1Edit. Have you used edit on yours?
Old 12-12-2003, 03:17 PM
Teching In

I am using the Superchips tunning that came with my Radix. I have never used Edit on mine. Kevin Gunn is who I have dealt with at Magnusun also. Before I bought mine I was visiting a friend in Santa Clarita last December, so we drove out to Ventura and Kevin gave us a tour of the facilities. Super nice people. That was one of my deciding reasons for buying the Radix. Mine has been problem free other than like I had said about it being cold blooded now that winter is here. You are correct though about their attitude about increasing the boost. Kevin told me they don't recommend it at all. Like I said before I have never had any detonation problems. But I live at sea level also. Kevin also turned me on to the fact that they did a run of 50 black powdercoated Radix's and thats what I got. I like it because I have only seen or heard of 1 other like mine and that was when we were at Magnusun, they had a black extended cab that they were doing an install on. The black is also very stealthy looking. Can you remove your existing tune? Then maybe try installing the tuner that came with your Radix. Maybe your custom tune has too much timing or brings it in too fast. Let me know what you find out. Good luck.
Karl
Old 12-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Well, I had the predator already so I skipped the superchips tuner altogether. I am getting atap and Edit next week so it's time for this student to do some serious learning!!! Don't want to blow anything up! Karl, I really appreciate your help! I 'll let you know what I find out.

Quick Reply: Radix on '03 5.3--Adjust fuel pressure????