Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

422 LSX Solid Roller, TFS 245's, Billet Wilson & Twin TC78's from KYTP

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Motor is out and the front cover is off.

Looks like the bolts backed out (yes, they had loctite) and sheared right off. These aren't stock cam bolts, they are ARPs.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news, I hope there was to ptv contact.
I went overkill on the reliefs in my pistons for this exact reason.
With a little luck you should be able to just freshen it up and get back to business.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely different situation and not related, but I had cam bolts back out on me on my heads cam set up. My motor also had the very small SLP under drive pulley.

Got the cam engineer from GM on the phone (somehow dialed through and got him) and he said that in the racing engines that they worked on, if the balancer was more the 10% under driven then the motor created a harmonic that was backing cam bolts out on their race engines.

I drill and wire all of my cam bolts now.

I look forward to hearing how the motor looks once torn down. I bet it looks very good.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Restricted User

One broken valve and damaged seat . That piston will need replaced as well. 7 other's just barely touched. Those valves will likely need to be replaced as well but the pistons are good.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by W8N2SQZ
Completely different situation and not related, but I had cam bolts back out on me on my heads cam set up. My motor also had the very small SLP under drive pulley.

Got the cam engineer from GM on the phone (somehow dialed through and got him) and he said that in the racing engines that they worked on, if the balancer was more the 10% under driven then the motor created a harmonic that was backing cam bolts out on their race engines.

I drill and wire all of my cam bolts now.

I look forward to hearing how the motor looks once torn down. I bet it looks very good.
We were discussing that this morning. Engine builder wants him to use a harmonic balancer but that means changing the drain plumbing for the turbos.
Currently using a 25% underdrive.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, good idea to add a harmonic balancer.

Actually the cam bolts backed out twice on my motor. This was all installed and fixed by the company that did the heads cam. The second time it happened they told me that my cam shaft bore and crank shaft bore were not in alignment and that the motor needed to be line honed and rebuilt.

The car never went back to them. I never let anyone touch the car after that.

This stuff happens to me also. 300-500 dollars for a balancer and now there's double that in repair fee's.

Sweet ride and good luck.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Restricted User

Couple more pictures. This is the only piston that appears to need repair and the corresponding head chamber.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Coal Mining Director

I hope it comes together quickly for you guys.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Restricted User

He got the cam gear off. No loctite on the bolts.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sorry to see this happen to you guys. I know you two will have it up and running in no time!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you guys going to fix that piston or replace it when everything get's pulled apart? Who assembled the engine?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM
7 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
He got the cam gear off. No loctite on the bolts.
Damn who is getting fired for that fuckup?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Couple more pictures. This is the only piston that appears to need repair and the corresponding head chamber.

Eh, just fix that head and file that **** down on the piston, it'll be just fine, hahah!!!!

PS - Just joking! Sucks to see that it has to be torn down, but I can't believe he didn't have an ATI super damper on that thing, kind of just assumed he did, good investment to get now. And tell Mike to stop letting other people in his shop put that motor together, no excuse for no loctite on those bolts, they only torque down to 26lbs or something like that, loctite is your friend!

Last edited by Loudmouth LS1; 08-31-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Are you guys going to fix that piston or replace it when everything get's pulled apart? Who assembled the engine?
He's got 2 extra pistons from when he had them custom made. There was another slug that didn't get hit quit as hard but got hit by an intake valve. I think he going to change them both.
Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Damn who is getting fired for that fuckup?
Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Eh, just fix that head and file that **** down on the piston, it'll be just fine, hahah!!!!

PS - Just joking! Sucks to see that it has to be torn down, but I can't believe he didn't have an ATI super damper on that thing, kind of just assumed he did, good investment to get now. And tell Mike to stop letting other people in his shop put that motor together, no excuse for no loctite on those bolts, they only torque down to 18lbs or something like that, loctite is your friend!
Mike @ TEC said that there is no way that he didn't put loctite on there but I have never seen ALL the loctite disappear without a trace on a bolt or the corresponding threads.

As for the dampener, not sure if he is going to a balancer or wire up the bolts. Balancer will force us to move the drains for the turbos. It's really nice the way that it is.

We are going to go a little bigger on the cam. I was not aware that he had 1.6 rockers when I spec'd the last one which means that his last cam was actually a .586 lift.
Going to step up to a .63x ish lift in the low 250's duration.

Mike offered to give him a belt drive and dry sump setup but the jury is way out on that. He's not crazy about the idea of turning it into a race car. He's still thinking about putting A/C in.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's got 2 extra pistons from when he had them custom made. There was another slug that didn't get hit quit as hard but got hit by an intake valve. I think he going to change them both.

Mike @ TEC said that there is no way that he didn't put loctite on there but I have never seen ALL the loctite disappear without a trace on a bolt or the corresponding threads.

As for the dampener, not sure if he is going to a balancer or wire up the bolts. Balancer will force us to move the drains for the turbos. It's really nice the way that it is.

We are going to go a little bigger on the cam. I was not aware that he had 1.6 rockers when I spec'd the last one which means that his last cam was actually a .586 lift.
Going to step up to a .63x ish lift in the low 250's duration.

Mike offered to give him a belt drive and dry sump setup but the jury is way out on that. He's not crazy about the idea of turning it into a race car. He's still thinking about putting A/C in.

Did anything blow through the motor and into the turbine wheels?? Let me know if they did.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'l buff out.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Did anything blow through the motor and into the turbine wheels?? Let me know if they did.
Nope. Thank goodness everything stayed inside.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Restricted User

Correction on the cam. After looking closer at the cam card that he sent me, I called him back asked if he was sure that was it because it didn't look right to me. He verified with the engine builder to see if the numbers matched and they didn't. Turns out that is BonnarLS1's cam.

So Steve's cam corrected for the 1.6 rockers is a 248/248 .611/.611. The front of the cam is a little beat up but if it's reuseable, he will be reusing it. Mike is going to put in 2 more dowels and wire the bolts. No balancer.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just spent the last roughly 2 hours reading through the entire thread. Great stuff. Makes you realize how much work goes into a project that's designed to haul the mail in 7.9x seconds. Major props to you guys for going through hell and sticking with it. No way I could do it. I hope it eventually smooths out and the cost of repairs goes down and the amount of fun and actually enjoying the car goes up. Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for sharing all the information. Best of luck and keep up the great work. Subscribed for all future updates.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cobra, I would like to give my 2 cents. There will be nothing holding those dowels in. Both times my bolts backed out I found the dowel pin in the bottom of the pan. They were first to come out before the bolts.

The bolts will be wired and can't back out, but the pins are pressed in and still vulnerable to vibrating out. Maybe some type of epoxy can be used

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: 422 LSX Solid Roller, TFS 245's, Billet Wilson & Twin TC78's from KYTP