Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That probably sounded really stupid of me, but yeah, I want to do something a little different. I guess I can't blame myself. I have never really been into superchargers really. I know that everone has the same goals - to go fast. But I have always enjoyed the sound of a turbo. How many 5th gens are there out there with Maggies... too many to count. Same with C6s. We all want to go fast different.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you really want to be different twin charge it
Old 01-31-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
That probably sounded really stupid of me, but yeah, I want to do something a little different. I guess I can't blame myself. I have never really been into superchargers really. I know that everone has the same goals - to go fast. But I have always enjoyed the sound of a turbo. How many 5th gens are there out there with Maggies... too many to count. Same with C6s. We all want to go fast different.
I have a real PTK kit that I am finishing up right now on my 96 Z28. Its too bad they are no longer around. Very nice tig welded mild steel kit. I had a 76GTS for it, but sold it just recently to a member here and will most likely go with a PT-88 now that I am ditching my T-56 for a stalled 4L80e with transbrake. Should be interesting. Don't seem to be many quality kits for the Lt1 anymore.

You could always have one built. Get ready to spend some $$$. I have about 40k invested in my car. Gets out of hand fast. As long as you keep your goals modest, it shouldn't cost anywhere near what mine has. If you can find a front mount w/ around a 76mm turbo, I think you would be very happy. Can't remember the last time I saw a turbocharged LT1 running around...
Old 01-31-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spaz1
I don't know why people are always knocking sts kits or rear mount setups
it's because they are afraid of it and probably have never had one...
Old 01-31-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hawk584
it's because they are afraid of it and probably have never had one...
no, it is because i can see to many flaws with the sts kit, i rather bust out the saw, stand up the rad , get a tubular k member, delete my ac, relocate the alternator then settle for the sts kit.

you do not even need to go that extreme as i have, there are lots of kits out there that just require you to relocate the alternator.

if you do not like to work on cars or think it is hard in any way, you should not be owning an f body and especially trying to turbocharge it. unless you have lots of money, then you can just get somebody else to work on it
Old 01-31-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless you are going to come over and hack my car up, than I don't think you should be telling be that I have no business owning an F-Body. Sadly, I don't owe all the tools I need and don't have the manpower to rip the car to pieces. Me and one other buddy will be the only ones working on it. I live F-Bodies, enjoy my GTO, but don't have a huge garage full of power tools. Typical. Try finding another girl who wants to turbo her car, I don't think that there would be another asking for advice.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

you do not need huge space to work on a car, all you need is determination

this is my car in my underground parking garage getting it's engine pulled out, all done with basic tools and one person

i would love to help you but unfortunately i live in canada
Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
Regarding the Procharger remark, there are a lot of guys rolling around my area with Prochargers. I personally want turbo, I just never considered Procharger with everybody around here with them. A couple of guys in my club are procharged, and I have driven them, liked them, blah blah blah. Just my decision.
Hey Jen! Ima have to watch out for you lol! Good luck with your turbo mods! Your gonna have to spot me some cars!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by elias_799
no, it is because i can see to many flaws with the sts kit, i rather bust out the saw, stand up the rad , get a tubular k member, delete my ac, relocate the alternator then settle for the sts kit.

you do not even need to go that extreme as i have, there are lots of kits out there that just require you to relocate the alternator.

if you do not like to work on cars or think it is hard in any way, you should not be owning an f body and especially trying to turbocharge it. unless you have lots of money, then you can just get somebody else to work on it
Come to houston in the summer with your deleted a/c in the 104 degree heat then tell me how great it is with no a/c.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^ i do not live in Huston so i can do without AC just fine, even in very hot day's i just roll the windows down and i am just fine

if you read my whole post you can see that i wrote it is not necessary to remove ac to have a FM set up , with some kits you do not even have to relocate the alternator
Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Launching!

^^^^ i do not live in Huston so i can do without AC just fine, even in very hot day's i just roll the windows down and i am just fine

if you read my whole post you can see that i wrote it is not necessary to remove ac to have a FM set up , with some kits you do not even have to relocate the alternator
Yes i know thats true, but i just dont see what the big deal is with being so against a rear mount. I agree with you a front mount will be more efficient. No way around it. but for a cool street warrior like what the OP is wanting i dont see anything wrong with it. Even though monster power can be made with a rear mount. Hell after all this bickering on here with you i would love to run you lol (you're just a little far lol) but one thing that isnt all ways taken into account is that when your out running on the streets before you race you will be waiting to go at atleast 4k rpm's so right when you hit it you will almost instanly have boost. i just dont agree with people bashing on a rear mount when they are a neat kit to me. And i do agree the sts kit has flaws. pretty much the only thing sts on my car is the undercar piping. i dont even use their wire harness. but for a cool street car there really is nothing wrong with rearmount.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Hot days? lol i thought there was no such thing in canada lol. Here its the heat with 90 percent humidity that kills you lol
Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
I have smoke some front mount cars my best time was a 10.38 142 mph 1/4 highest hp 813 716tq 18 psi 14 psi 760 689 tq 4xx ci motor.
WOW this guy you only ran a 10.38 with 813hp Good for you that's awesome. I ran a 10.23 on ms4 cam and 150 shot. I do not hate sts or RMs if one of my customers wants a RM I will build them a RM like she said no room to work or the tools. a RM is a fantastic alternative and good for you for buying the turbo kit let us know how you like it. But don't forget to tune your car I have fixed to many blown up cars. Did i mention i live down the street from sts. many of my friends work there. they probably built the kit your getting, hell i was probably there when they built it. I still know whats best to help a car breath

Last edited by Camaro Chris; 02-01-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by spaz1

I don't know why people are always knocking sts kits or rear mount setups, everyone that has taken a ride in my car are totally amazed on how hard it pulls. It hits soft on the tires and drivetrain but makes monster power. Most of the people that say they suck don't know what they are talking about and haven't driven or rode in a car with one on it.
My car runs like stock until you mash the throttle and then all hell breaks loose.
Cause there is more to life then a butt dyno
Old 02-01-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend had an STS on his Camaro before he did his front mount setup, to this day he still bitches about it. For what they are i guess they are fun to bomb around in if you want an extra kick in the pants and the cool turbo sound. One dude locally has one on his Z28 and my friend with a full exhaust/stalled formula is doors with it, not to mention what my old cam only setup did to it ...Dont be jaded by some of the big HP sts cars, there is one of those locally that New Era put together. It scoots for sure, but far from an out of the box sts kit. For the money you are going to spend, why not look into a front mount from KYTP for a tad bit more. You will be happier in the long run IMO.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

DONT FK THIS POST UP WITH USLESS BS.....
Old 02-01-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=Camaro Chris;12829738]WOW this guy you only ran a 10.38 with 813hp Good for you that's awesome. I ran a 10.23 on ms4 cam and 150 shot.

Ok first off my car is far from a drag car..... I still had the stock rearend in it . I also ran that on street tires, Dont assume the car cant do better. Plus I did that run on the 14 psi setting. Befor you go posting **** pm me for the facts or ask about the facts. Sure there are cars faster than me so what, Its my car and I built it the way I wanted it. Im not butt hurt about what is said I dont really care but if you think ur car is faster than mine lets race I will travel and bring slicks. On a last note in a early thread you said sts equal fail, so why in the hell would u install one for a customer?????? Bra you need this thread

Last note Im not making excuses either those are the facts of when I ran my car and it was the second time I drag it on the newer set up.

Last edited by OUTLAWZ RACING; 02-01-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 AM
10 Second Club

I have been reading through this post,seems everyone of these I read is the same bla bla bla about a setup,they all cost money,they all work and they all will need some experience and fine tuning, beleive alot of people who go with a procharger are for the most part,people who dont work on their own cars,ive had prochargers and they work well for the intended results(more power) ive also used nitrous through the years,get same effects way cheaper not the bling bling effect from your freinds etc.and always has its drawbacks,bottle pressure etc.
I have a rear mount twin setup,built it myself,have built several of these setups over the past few years in the continual persuite of getting better and faster, they work very well without hacking up the car.A person can do most mods in a small garage if they know what works and what does not.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Let's get back to the basics, rear mounts do work, they can make big power, they have their issues. Front mounts work better, they can make big power and they are known to have their issues. We all know the issues with rear mounts but front mounts also have their issues, look at all the threads on APS, front mounts CAN HAVE (not always) issues with cracking the headers, mounts, etc.

I've owned both had the 2nd or 3rd kit made by Turbotechnology, had the 1st auto so they mocked up the tubing and hand built the kit back in 2000 sold the car. This time I found a deal on a rear mount, I have a vert so I fabbed up the intake tubing along the frame in oval tubing to tuck it up inside the channel between the frame and floor pan.

A good front mount is a great system but for me the rear mount is just something different. You can have your *** handed to you by either.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02 wife
Hey Jen! Ima have to watch out for you lol! Good luck with your turbo mods! Your gonna have to spot me some cars!
Hey, I'm trying to get ready for the Motor City Rumble. I was once told by another female F-Body driver that I don't hang with the big boys in my messly LT1 Camaro. To her, 12.6s were big boy numbers (laughable with what is done to her car). We will see when I hit the streets this year.

Quick Reply: STS Concerns