Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joblo1978
I know of people who have paid money to have STS kits de-installed due to all the issues.

The oiling system is terrible.
Obviously you are going off what you heard or read. Your motor send the oil pressure. People just dont have any luck with their scavenge pump. So you put a better pump on it. Sounds real terrible.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on upgrading the pump anyways. No big deal to upgrade to a better pump for $250.00 or so.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the turbowerx exa pump is an awesome unit!!! and super quiet!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chase3
Obviously you are going off what you heard or read. Your motor send the oil pressure. People just dont have any luck with their scavenge pump. So you put a better pump on it. Sounds real terrible.
So your admitting the scavenge pump sucks but defend the kit?

Yeah, I'm just reciting and posting up garbage with no professional opinion behind it. You're right.

I'm not an STS expert I'll admit, but the shop that assisted me building my car that has installed them and removed them for customers despite their warnings is where I get my info. Sorry I'm not an STS fanboy, but after they have installed many APS, prochargers, vortechs, magnachargers, and turned out many 1000+ hp cars with dual power adders that run like raped apes and hold together they don't know what they're talking about? These guys hate installing them because they get brought back over and over as opposed to everything else they build even despite improvements they make to the kit.

What makes you more of an STS expert than them when they install FI kit after FI kit and the STS cars keep coming back for the same repeated issues?

They said that they have only seen one other worse kit than STS and it was a one off turbo for a cavalier I believe. They wouldn't recommend an STS kit to anyone.

He wasn't trying to sell me something else either as I already had my mind made up and had my Magnacharger being installed at the time.

Some of the points that I remember were the oil return line just being slipped into the filler cap, so that it could fall out and spew oil all over the engine. That is what they said the kit calls for and they have to improve on that sloppy design. Not to mention unnecessary turbo damage as a result of the blower just being more exposed to the elements, naturally. There were some other major issues with the STS setup they mentioned, but I really don't remember. By that point I had heard enough. Besides, a turbo in place of your muffler is just kind of weird to me.

Put it this way, I was glad I didn't go the STS route, sorry if you don't approve.

If you like your STS, good for you!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

What makes you more of an STS expert than them when they install FI kit after FI kit and the STS cars keep coming back for the same repeated issues?
my guess is they didn't build them right since the sts cars are the only ones coming back..
Old 02-05-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Besides, a turbo in place of your muffler is just kind of weird to me.
lol. I don't see what's weird about that. it's just placement on the exhaust, and no matter what setup (front or rear) turbos are usually in different places... in place of battery, in front of water pump, in front of drivers manifold, etc.

I think one reason many choose a rear mount setup is that you have much more space to work with and don't have to move accessories like alternators & radiators around, and changing plugs are not a pita x 10. so the major issues everyone always talks about with a RM is oiling for the turbo, ground clearance, and exhaust heat. exhaust heat - no problem, coat & wrap the hell out of it. ground clearance - can't be much worse than a lowered car with long tube headers. so really my only concern with a RM setup would be the oil supply, and if you spend enough time & money with it-it can be done right and work properly. just my 2 cents.

Not saying STS is a terrific setup to go with; I'm just in the middle of making a chosen FI direction... D1SC, custom front mount retaining a/c, or a custom RM
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Launching!

So your admitting the scavenge pump sucks but defend the kit?

Yeah, I'm just reciting and posting up garbage with no professional opinion behind it. You're right.

I'm not an STS expert I'll admit, but the shop that assisted me building my car that has installed them and removed them for customers despite their warnings is where I get my info. Sorry I'm not an STS fanboy, but after they have installed many APS, prochargers, vortechs, magnachargers, and turned out many 1000+ hp cars with dual power adders that run like raped apes and hold together they don't know what they're talking about? These guys hate installing them because they get brought back over and over as opposed to everything else they build even despite improvements they make to the kit.

They said that they have only seen one other worse kit than STS and it was a one off turbo for a cavalier I believe. They wouldn't recommend an STS kit to anyone.

He wasn't trying to sell me something else either as I already had my mind made up and had my Magnacharger being installed at the time.

Some of the points that I remember were the oil return line just being slipped into the filler cap, so that it could fall out and spew oil all over the engine. That is what they said the kit calls for and they have to improve on that sloppy design. Not to mention unnecessary turbo damage as a result of the blower just being more exposed to the elements, naturally. There were some other major issues with the STS setup they mentioned, but I really don't remember. By that point I had heard enough. Besides, a turbo in place of your muffler is just kind of weird to me.

Put it this way, I was glad I didn't go the STS route, sorry if you don't approve.

If you like your STS, good for you!
It doesnt just slip on FYI it is tapped into a filler car that is included. And mine goes to the pan. And hell yes i will agree their pump sucks. I am not defending the STS system. I am defending a rear mount. Pretty much the only thing STS on my car is the longest pipe and thats all.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

the word "Expert" is relative.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by candlelit
lol. I don't see what's weird about that. it's just placement on the exhaust, and no matter what setup (front or rear) turbos are usually in different places... in place of battery, in front of water pump, in front of drivers manifold, etc.

I think one reason many choose a rear mount setup is that you have much more space to work with and don't have to move accessories like alternators & radiators around, and changing plugs are not a pita x 10. so the major issues everyone always talks about with a RM is oiling for the turbo, ground clearance, and exhaust heat. exhaust heat - no problem, coat & wrap the hell out of it. ground clearance - can't be much worse than a lowered car with long tube headers. so really my only concern with a RM setup would be the oil supply, and if you spend enough time & money with it-it can be done right and work properly. just my 2 cents.

Not saying STS is a terrific setup to go with; I'm just in the middle of making a chosen FI direction... D1SC, custom front mount retaining a/c, or a custom RM
don't matter how much you wrap it or coat it, still going to loose allot of heat compare to a FM, especially in the first hour or so from start up.

Last edited by elias_799; 02-05-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

compared to a FM yeah. but has anyone ever been able to measure exhaust temperatures on both setups for comparison? that'd be something I'd be interested in seeing.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by candlelit
compared to a FM yeah. but has anyone ever been able to measure exhaust temperatures on both setups for comparison? that'd be something I'd be interested in seeing.
it is easy, got to your car open the hood and try to touch the exhaust manifold and see how long you can keep your hand there, and then go to the muffler and try touching that. it will not be 100% accurate because of a cat and the muffler, but it will show you a good idea
Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

define " a lot of heat "... 10*, 20*?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hawk584
define " a lot of heat "... 10*, 20*?
i do not know the exact numbers but it will loose enough heat so that a t76 only spools at 3000rpm on a 418

anybody want to bust out a thermometer and measure exhaust temp at the exhaust manifold and at the muffler ?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

dang, at work we have them hand held laser temp gauges but i don't think the Air Force would like it if i took one home for a weekend
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Launching!

I read through most of this crap finally. Did the OP get all the info she needed? Also the newer style scavenger pump that STS sends with their kit is much better than the old style. It has been about a year now since the change. They knew they had a problem so they fixed it. They use a helical gear design that is quiet and is expected to have 50k to 60k service life. If you are getting a new kit, get the newer style kit from STS and make sure to follow the instructions. Half of the bullshit problems people complain about with the STS kits is because they did not follow the instructions to begin with. Good luck either way. Let the show continue!!! Long live the butt mount.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TURBO6.0L
I read through most of this crap finally. Did the OP get all the info she needed? Also the newer style scavenger pump that STS sends with their kit is much better than the old style. It has been about a year now since the change. They knew they had a problem so they fixed it. They use a helical gear design that is quiet and is expected to have 50k to 60k service life. If you are getting a new kit, get the newer style kit from STS and make sure to follow the instructions. Half of the bullshit problems people complain about with the STS kits is because they did not follow the instructions to begin with. Good luck either way. Let the show continue!!! Long live the butt mount.
that is too bad this thread is not being put to good use, well at least not for you, since you think it is all crap

personally i think the scavenger pump in the sts system is a small issue compare to others
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Most of the crap I read is coming from you. The OP has probably gotten very little useful info from anything you have posted. Yes we all know a rear mount is less efficient. Great job bringing this to our attention I think we all forgot. I don't expect much from a guy who is using a spark plug wire to hold their radiator in place while they swap their engine. I see you have never owned an STS system but appear to be an expert on all it "flaws". How about FM's? Hotter than hell, take up lots of under hood space and force you to destroy your car to do an install. Just to name a few. Ever seen an STS kit in real life? Ever worked on one or had to deal with STS directly? It sounds to me that you are just repeating what you have heard others say.

Last edited by TURBO6.0L; 02-05-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-06-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TURBO6.0L
Most of the crap I read is coming from you. The OP has probably gotten very little useful info from anything you have posted. Yes we all know a rear mount is less efficient. Great job bringing this to our attention I think we all forgot. I don't expect much from a guy who is using a spark plug wire to hold their radiator in place while they swap their engine. I see you have never owned an STS system but appear to be an expert on all it "flaws". How about FM's? Hotter than hell, take up lots of under hood space and force you to destroy your car to do an install. Just to name a few. Ever seen an STS kit in real life? Ever worked on one or had to deal with STS directly? It sounds to me that you are just repeating what you have heard others say.
if you actually read the whole post, there was one guy trying to debate with me that cold air spools the turbo better, so i guess not everybody knows that rm is less efficient then fm

i am sry, i was not aware that there is a tool for holding up the radiator in an f body without the top radiator support. i guess i will ask you next time on the proper procedure when i pull the motor again

i have not said anything that is crap or incorrect, all the information that i have given is a fact, if you can prove any of the wrong, go ahead, till then they are not BS.

i have actually seen an sts car when i was in a market for a turbo kit and i was not very impressed, but they are pretty easy to work on,and any exhaust shop can install it for you

i will gladly cut up my radiator support and install a bmr k member and delete ac , relocate the alternator to have an efficient set up. it requires determination and some basic skills, nothing fancy. yea the install will not take a couple of hours like it would with the sts kit but that does not worry me

also there are plenty of FM kits out there that keep ac and only require you to relocate the alternator, so no hacking needed. also as far as your hotter then hell remark my previous single turbo set up still kept ac and it defiantly was not hot with it on. and i installed it with my spark plug wire in 9hrs

also when do you see boost with you 67mm RM ?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

don't chew my head off now, it's just a suggestion... you should get a ride in a built rear-mount car.... it changed the two minds of my buddies who i let drive mine, one of which who had driven several fm turbo cars and currently building a 1000 horse 1980 something monte-carlo. my car made him a believer

Quick Reply: STS Concerns