Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: for a street/strip car which is the better choice? (regardless of install dificulty)
procharger
53.61%
turbo
46.39%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

procharger VS. turbo?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude why don't you just take a coin and procharger can be heads, turbo can be tails, flip it and decide that way lol both have been proven over and over again to make big power and both are different in there own way. In the end you have to decide. Just my .02
Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Agreed, theres not that many turbo guys around, it guys seems like theres more of us because were asking questions. Superchargers are usually a weekend deal, you throw it on and youre done. Theres not much to em unless you want to go a little more advanced with it. With turbos we only have a few production kits so we are constantly tweaking with our limited engineering knowledge on our homemade kits. Both have their place, if you have time to **** around and engineer something then turbo could be a cheaper alternative but if you want your car up and running in a weekend, super is the best way.

Somedays I wish I had gone supercharged but all the knowledge Ive gained, through all the busted knuckles and throwing of tools, with a turbo make it totally worth it. Not to mention, I have 7 months of winter here so if I had a blower I wouldve been done....back in September lol
I can barley get through 3 months of winter let alone 7 months. I don't see how you do it!

If you have the time and really enjoy making your car your own then a turbo would be a fun build. However, I do not want to take all the time building and tweaking a turbo setup. I'm in the market for a D1 right now. I wanna throw it on and have fun.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Plus I would THINK that a turbo car will have more traction issues due to the boost coming very fast. The procharger steadily climbs will the turbo just comes all at once. Not sure if this is true but it makes sense....
Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
regardless of install difficulty and price...which is better for a street/strip car in your opinion?
I have neither, but I know people who do and have had both. From their experience, if money is no factor, I would say turbo, hands down.

Turbos get a worse rep than Superchargers because there is so many more options and flexibility with turbos. I mean, you buy a Supercharger kit and that's it. All you can really do after that is buy different blower units and pulleys. Well, with turbos you can really do what you want. Tons of turbo unit options; piping options goes from reputable kit to pipe from a scrap yard some jackass bend with a torch, vice, and hammer; etc. Due to this, and the fact that turbo kits for our cars haven't been produced by major companies and are new to f-bodies in relation to superchargers, tuning isn't as figured out as with superchargers. All of this makes people say turbo cars are more work, harder to tune, etc. Yes, they can be if short cuts are taken. Now, if money is no issue and you approach a turbo kit like a boxed supercharger kit, they will be equal in tinkering and reliability. Buy top quality parts, get a pre-made kit, and stay conservative. It is very very easy to push the limits of a turbo, turn a **** or a button. Don't.

So, money no issue, buy top quality stuff, turbo it, and get one of the top companies that turbo our cars to do your tuning (or a very reputable tuner that has plenty of experience with turbo LSx's). That would be the best choice. Buy the tuning software your tuner uses and put it on your laptop, get him to save tunes for "gas mileage low boost," "aggressive street boot," and (if you want) "***** out boost." Then you can adjust your boost and tune in seconds and have 3 cars in one. To me, that would be the best street/strip car.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
Plus I would THINK that a turbo car will have more traction issues due to the boost coming very fast. The procharger steadily climbs will the turbo just comes all at once. Not sure if this is true but it makes sense....
umm when I had the d1sc on my car it blew the tires off instantly my previous twin turbo build got a little better traction due to a little lag
Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo car hooks very good on the street, I think I'm only around 600 rwhp however. But the lag helps it hook for sure. PS I'm in granite city.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

regardless of install difficulty and price...which is better for a street/strip car in your opinion?
I will know when I finish up my build. I will compare street manners, off the line acceleration and of course trap speeds and ET. the comparison should be an equal match, even though I completely rebuilt the motor, I went with all the same components less cam of course, but compression is the same and I will run the same amount of boost. This will also tell me how much horsepower I was (Supposedly) loosing due to the drag of the blower....
Old 02-17-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

will 4.11 rearend gears go good with a procharged car? thats what i have now.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Yes indeed, 4.11 gears go very well with an ATI ProCharger. As the power level goes up, dropping down to a 3.70 gear may be required to keep trap rpm at a sane level. Bob
Old 02-19-2010, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I'd recommend going with a 3:73 gear. I had 4:10s in mine and I ran out of gear in the 1/4 with a 28" tire.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its no secret i'm a turbo nut swinger, but i have to say for a fbody you really can't go wrong with a procharger setup.
if you keep your eyes open, you can build your own kit using better parts then procharger gives you for about half of a new kit.
for a street /strip car, id have to give the nod to procharger but when you get serious, its turbo time hands down.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Yeah I'd recommend going with a 3:73 gear. I had 4:10s in mine and I ran out of gear in the 1/4 with a 28" tire.
I agree. 140mph and 7100 comes up real fast.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

In theory yes but, there's more bottom end than what you would think. Tires start sqeakin', so does the tach needle.and the smoke show ensues.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a d1 on my stock cubed cam only car, and made 630rwhp. With 4.11's and a 28 tt5 tire, m6 car I ran 10.66@128 trapping at like 6400 so I didn't have any problems with the gear. I could have went to 4.30's. Two days after I made that pass I started tearing my car apart for a bigger engine and switching to a turbo. Procharger was great I just didn't like how to change boost you had to change pullies and with my car being a 6 speed, belt slip sucks. If I dont like how the turbo turns out I will be going back to a F1a.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mr_biscuitz
I had a d1 on my stock cubed cam only car, and made 630rwhp. With 4.11's and a 28 tt5 tire, m6 car I ran 10.66@128 trapping at like 6400 so I didn't have any problems with the gear. I could have went to 4.30's. Two days after I made that pass I started tearing my car apart for a bigger engine and switching to a turbo. Procharger was great I just didn't like how to change boost you had to change pullies and with my car being a 6 speed, belt slip sucks. If I dont like how the turbo turns out I will be going back to a F1a.
An automatic would work well with your new turbo set-up. Bob
Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamB
I have neither, but I know people who do and have had both. From their experience, if money is no factor, I would say turbo, hands down.

Turbos get a worse rep than Superchargers because there is so many more options and flexibility with turbos. I mean, you buy a Supercharger kit and that's it. All you can really do after that is buy different blower units and pulleys. Well, with turbos you can really do what you want. Tons of turbo unit options; piping options goes from reputable kit to pipe from a scrap yard some jackass bend with a torch, vice, and hammer; etc. Due to this, and the fact that turbo kits for our cars haven't been produced by major companies and are new to f-bodies in relation to superchargers, tuning isn't as figured out as with superchargers. All of this makes people say turbo cars are more work, harder to tune, etc. Yes, they can be if short cuts are taken. Now, if money is no issue and you approach a turbo kit like a boxed supercharger kit, they will be equal in tinkering and reliability. Buy top quality parts, get a pre-made kit, and stay conservative. It is very very easy to push the limits of a turbo, turn a **** or a button. Don't.

So, money no issue, buy top quality stuff, turbo it, and get one of the top companies that turbo our cars to do your tuning (or a very reputable tuner that has plenty of experience with turbo LSx's). That would be the best choice. Buy the tuning software your tuner uses and put it on your laptop, get him to save tunes for "gas mileage low boost," "aggressive street boot," and (if you want) "***** out boost." Then you can adjust your boost and tune in seconds and have 3 cars in one. To me, that would be the best street/strip car.
this man and i think a LOT alike!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM
9 Second Club

ive driven my buddys procharder car and my turbo with about the same mods. And the turbo pulls alot harder in my book the mid range TQ is crazy (660 tq @3800)

the turbo is more work but if it was easy everyone would have it.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

You can get a turbo car up and running on a basic type tune pretty quick. Sure you can spend more time tweaking things but again dont' think they are that hard to tune and tune mine myself and not a tuning genius.

You basically lower timing momitoring knock retard closely , set afr around 11.5 and you should be fine. And yes you pretty much need to go to SD at higher power levels. But SD was actually pretty simple to convert over to.

As said already if turbos were unreliable dont' think factory would have millions of vehicles with turbos on them.
Most turbo car problems are from taking shortcuts, hack homemade kits,knock off parts,
people with zero clue about tuning trying to do things like run high boost with high timing on stock non forged engines.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:50 AM
8 Second Club

if time and money are not an issue and you want big power, i would say go turbo but if you just want a 500whp steet car, you cant go wrong with a procharger.. had a procharger on my brothers mustang and he loved it, no problems at all with it.

damn reading this makes me wanna go f/i now
Old 02-20-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

ya... time and money are not an issue. i want to be the happiest i can be when i hit the gas. im just worried about turbo lag.

Quick Reply: procharger VS. turbo?????