Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: for a street/strip car which is the better choice? (regardless of install dificulty)
procharger
53.61%
turbo
46.39%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

procharger VS. turbo?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo lag is minor factor if you properly match turbo to your goals. Smaller twins generally work a bit better than one bigger single. But you have to remember these are v8s not four bangers and they are going to spool turbos up at pretty low rpms compared to say big turbo on a little 2.0 litre. Bit of lag can be your friend for traction as well.
Now you also have strategies to use depending on if you are auto or manual car.
If manual it will be harder to build boost off the line but then you use two steps and antilag like lingenfelter 2 step box.
For auto two step can also help boost off line and you normaly don't bother with antilag on auto car ,a properly matched stall is good idea though.

Also you have the gear down options in stick cars like you are in third in city and you simply downshift and you are going to boost quick or go from fifth or sixth to fourth.

This can also work with the procharged cars.
Main problem with really oversized turbos is going up thru the gears ,you can't gear down so as said then good to be able to build boost at the line to carry you thru.
Another reason prochargers with their 2,4,6,8 type of boost versus rpm do good at the track .You can take them up higher in rpm say dump the clutch at 6000 if you can hook and keep the revs and boost up.

Small shots of nitrous are also commonly used to instant spool up turbos especially on the four bangers. This can work fine with v8s as well if you have gone bit big .Nitrous supercools things and usually yields higher total hp than simply adding the numerical value of the shot. The effect with boost is magnified a bit.

Also turbos are much easier to use some type of boost ramping..My turbosmart controller can ramp by rpm and time. Not sure about gear but think it can do that as well just more complicated to set up.

This helps traction a lot so you can have boost not coming in all at once.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this info has been covered, I didn't read through the thread - I figured there's no time to waist when saving someone from a supercharger

A turbo has more power potential, no if's and's or but's about it. On an identical setup a turbo will make anywhere from 10-20% more power. Why? Turbo's use aout 6% of an engine’s power to spool, prochargers use up to 20-30%. But at least a procharger uses a centrifugal compressor (the most thermally efficient type, same as a turbo). Turbo's pretty much always run above 70% in the thermal efficiency range - some close to are at 80%! (that is, if you pay attention to the compressor map when selecting a turbo). Some prochargers can hit 70%... "Blowers" aren't even close to that, somewhere in the 50's I think... horrible efficiency! For the same amount of air entering your engine, a turbo will take less hp to deliver and give you cooler air.

A procharger will have an easier install, but the turbo will make more power in the end, period.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
ya... time and money are not an issue. i want to be the happiest i can be when i hit the gas. im just worried about turbo lag.
just admit it, you want a turbo
match it to your setup and lag will be no issue, traction on the other hand....
Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone run a procharger because they prefer the way it drives over a turbo??? Or do people just run prochargers because of easier install, low maintenance, and cheaper than turbo???
Old 02-22-2010, 05:29 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone run a procharger because they prefer the way it drives over a turbo??? Or do people just run prochargers because of easier install, low maintenance, and cheaper than turbo???
I do. I just like the way it feels. Feels like a NA car on steriods w/ the linear boost vs getting smacked w/ gobs of power say on turbo. But w/ 2 steps and boost controllers I suppose you can have the exact same effect.

Last edited by SRZ; 02-24-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SRZ
I do. I just the way it feels. Feels like a NA car on steriods w/ the linear boost vs getting smacked w/ gobs of power say on turbo. But w/ 2 steps and boost controllers I suppose you can have the exact same effect.
out of all the procharger guys, only one guy has it because he likes it more?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the whistle? lol...I guess that just made me think "a little deeper" lol. It seems 99% of peoples "end all" builds are turbos. I wanna be that 1% with A LOT of power running good times with a procharger. Yes they draw more parasitic loss...but you can make up for it. Pluss when **** breaks is USUALLY not as bad lol
Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
I like the whistle? lol...I guess that just made me think "a little deeper" lol. It seems 99% of peoples "end all" builds are turbos. I wanna be that 1% with A LOT of power running good times with a procharger. Yes they draw more parasitic loss...but you can make up for it. Pluss when **** breaks is USUALLY not as bad lol
whistle nothing this thing sounds like a jet coming down the road! no BS
thats why i go cruising with him the cops will go for him 1st always. so he is bait
Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

out of all the procharger guys, only one guy has it because he likes it more?
I like the Procharger better.... Ive always been facinated with the idle whine. When I bought my D1SC there wasnt too many turbo kits that were easy to work with.... and the STS was the new hot thing but I didnt want to go that route.

All in all I wouldnt have minded turbo... but the tried and true Procharger just makes sense all the way around. I have a 10 second street car with overdrive, A/C, all accessories, and a full stereo system. On the street with the cutout closed its a cake walk to drive too. I cant complain.

Oh... all that with a stock bottom end too.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Avengeance

All in all I wouldnt have minded turbo... but the tried and true Procharger just makes sense all the way around. I have a 10 second street car with overdrive, A/C, all accessories, and a full stereo system. On the street with the cutout closed its a cake walk to drive too. I cant complain.

Oh... all that with a stock bottom end too.

I wonder if there is anyone out there with a turbo setup that has A/C and all the other emenities that are provided with an OEM car.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=bearcatt;13700323]I wonder if there is anyone out there with a turbo setup that has A/C and all the other emenities that are provided with an OEM car.

My car has 22,000 original miles, all the factory emenities except A/C. I could have retained it if built turbo headers instead of Using 6.0 truck manifolds. I had a d1sc before the turbo and l loved it but I made quite a bit more horsepower and torque with the turbo at the same boost then the blower. I also wanted to do something different. Basicly you can do Anything if you have the money to spend Just my .02
Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

I pefer prochargers.When alot of guys think of prochargers they think of p1sc and d1sc they forget about the f1 f2 f3,those blowers are no joke.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02 z/28
When alot of guys think of prochargers they think of p1sc and d1sc they forget about the f1 f2 f3,those blowers are no joke.
very true, I like all power adders.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya... time and money are not an issue. i want to be the happiest i can be when i hit the gas. im just worried about turbo lag.
I'll repeat what those above me said. v8s can spool big turbos waaaay faster than a dinky little 4 cylinder. that being said, if this is your only car, I would toss a supercharger on it and call it a day. if it is not your only car (that seems to be the case) put a turbo on it and don't look back.

Quick Reply: procharger VS. turbo?????