Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any News on the STS turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any News on the STS turbo kit?

has anyone gotten thiers yet? had it dynoed? tested out the lag charicteristics? anyone?
Old 01-08-2004, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

I live about 50 miles form the shop that put the kit together. The LS1 STS car has been together for a couple of months now. He made a touch over 500 RWHP with no tuning and no fuel system Methanol injection is all he uses.

I raced him a month or so ago in my 92 vette. My car goes pretty consitent 12.6's at 110 here in Utah with a density elevation of about 7k. At sea level, on street tires, my car went 13.0, but at 121 mph.

See all my mods, dyno graphs, and time slips here-

www.fearlessperformance.com

We raced twice, once from a 20 mph roll, and once from a stop.

Race #1, from a 20 punch. STS car had 4 people in it, so it was pushing 4,000 lbs. Passenger of STS car yells 1,2,3 out the window. On 2 the STS car goes, and I wait until three to lay in it. This was intentional, so the STS car would be spooled when I hit it. From 20-100 we were dead even.

The STS car has 2 boost settings controlled with a switch. This race was on the low boost setting, with no methanol injection.

Race #2, from a stop, high boost setting, with methanol. I hole shot the hell out of him (IRS). I was far enough infront of him at the top of first gear to see him in all three of my mirrors. At about 100 mph he cam trucking by me pretty good, still with 4 people in the car. My guess is the STS LS1 car would go 12.5 at about 115 or so. Not bad considering the heinous elevation we live at. Stock LS1's here are 14.2-14.5 cars. That's about a 1.5 second gain from the STS turbo.

After the race I asked for a ride. In first gear it is kinda laggy, but not too bad. From a 5 mph punch he would see full boost by about 3300. As he shifts (its a 6 speed) it takes a split second for the boost to come back. About as long as it takes to snap your fingers. All in all, I was pretty impressed.

It would be interesting to see what an LS1 STS car would do at sea level.

I also wonder if they can get away with no fuel system because of the crazy elevation here. There isn't near the fuel demands placed on the fuel system up here that there is at sea level.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?
Old 01-08-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so with one person in the car, in HUMAN elevation (lol) you think the car would get near 11s?

otherwise that 500rwhp is looknig very non-productive.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

121mph is a nice trap speed especially considering the elevation. i think it would hit 11's with some nice sticky tires
Old 01-08-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think he meant it ran 121 mph at sea level?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or if you READ THE POST, you will see that his car, not the STS car, runs 121 traps at sea level.

If the STS car went trucking by him after he already had traction and the STS car had 4 ppl in it......that to me says the STS car, at sea level, with only a driver would go 130 ish traps (to pass after being multiple cars behind)........which I do not believe.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Excal
otherwise that 500rwhp is looknig very non-productive.
Explanation please.........Making HP productive doesn't have that much to do with the HP.....TIRES and a little BMR should help cure that.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just dont understand why the shop /person owning the car wont do our world a favor and get it to a track off the damn mountain!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JamMasterJ
I just dont understand why the shop /person owning the car wont do our world a favor and get it to a track off the damn mountain!
Maybe they are trying to hype it and sell it without actual numbers because they are disappointing??????????
Old 01-08-2004, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Neither car (LS1 or LT1) has ever been to the track. The track here in Shitah is only open for a couple months out of the year, and it sucks *** to try to turn respectable times there. Old shoebox chevy's with 18 inch wide tires and blown BBC's only cut mid 1.8 sixties. People that go from RMR (our local track) to Bandimere, which is almost 1,000 feet higher, usually pick up 2 tenths. RMR was actually under investigation a couple years ago to determine if it was, infact, the slowest track in the world.

The closest place with a real track is Vegas, and that's about 6 hours away. Vegas isn't really close to sea level either, but it's a ton better than here. Rick and 1 or 2 other guys are the only people in his shiop, so it makes it tough for them to get away. Also, none fo the cars are shop cars. they are all customer cars. Most people wouldn't let a tuner take their car on a 2 day jaunt to go abuse it at a track 450 miles away. I don't want to make excuses for them, but there are a couple legit reasons for the lack of track times. I dunno though, it sure would be nice to see some real world track times from them.

I don't think the STS car would go anywhere near 130 at sea level. I am losing quite a bit more than he is due to elevation. The turbo car just does not suffer as much as I do. I would think a high teen low 120 would be attainble though. An auto with sticky tires could feasibly hit 11's, but I dunno for sure.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by neat

I don't think the STS car would go anywhere near 130 at sea level. I am losing quite a bit more than he is due to elevation. The turbo car just does not suffer as much as I do. I would think a high teen low 120 would be attainble though. An auto with sticky tires could feasibly hit 11's, but I dunno for sure.
High teen traps make sense to me, but the other explanation of possible trap speed makes sense that it would be very close to 130 the way he wrote it.

I still think you need track times and there is no excuse not to have them for an expensive mod, as for being a customer car....I am sure they knew what they were getting into when they decided to be a donor car.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

If this kit is so easy to install, I am looking to see some testing done at the same track on the same day on the same car with before and after results. When I hear things like "we tried an intercooler but lost too much boost" it starts making me very skeptical (quote from an earlier thread).

With that being said, turbo guys need a "powerdyne" type starter kit just like the blower guys have, so I am all for it as long as it works.

-Geoff
Old 01-12-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi, I am an STS LS1 tester and I finished install this past weekend. The kit is now in my A4 SS and all I can say is that it rips! I previously had a TNT 100 shot which I used for about 6-8 months and the turbo seems to be making more power than the TNT at 5lb, at least it feels more powerful.

I will have more to report once I hit the dyno and track....that is if I am allowed to report

Lets just say for now I have never been more excited about anything on my car....the kit is amazingly responsive!
Old 01-13-2004, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSnakekiller
I previously had a TNT 100 shot which I used for about 6-8 months and the turbo seems to be making more power than the TNT at 5lb, at least it feels more powerful.
NEED TRACK TIMES
Old 01-13-2004, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

cool looking forward to hearing the results

Did you do fuel system, injectors and tuning?

Old 01-13-2004, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

I think ALOT of us have been watching this STS turbo project with great interest the last six months. My experience with turbos is very limited but others I know have had a GREAT deal of experience with them. When I first read about this setup, my initial thought was "Hey, this setup has GOT to have a pretty slow spool up (turbo lag) with the location of the turbo where it is". Number two, an automatic tranny seems a MUCH better setup than a six speed because after each shift, the turbo will need to spool up again.

My conclusion is that while PEAK numbers may be decent, I can't see this setup being very quick AT ALL on the dragstrip. I fact a nice heads and cam car or even a CAM only car would beat it EASILY in the quarter. Maybe it would be good as a highway racer, I don't know. Bottom line is, STS needs to get some good numbers with this at the dragstrip in my opinion and I am talking about some low 11 or high 10 numbers. Maybe though that's NOT the market they are shooting at. I dunno.

Last edited by sr71bb; 01-13-2004 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^well, regardless of turbo set up a 600hp h/c car will beat a 600hp ANY turbo application always as well..this is not a race kit.

as far as spool time, it's very normal..i'd say faster spooling that the avg supra you will meet. as far as a4 being better..for drag racing period a th400 type transmission is gonna be better, although this kit is set to keep perfect fun/streetbility value.

The donor car guy is in the 200mph club, so obviously his car isn't set up for drag strip and he seems to have no interest in it.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Actually a properly setup 600hp turbo will destroy a HC car with its extra torque.

Lag time with this kit in an automatic will not be an issue as you are building boost against the brake/transbrake when you stage.

I just want to see the power potential of the kit
Old 01-13-2004, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

I think the KEY there Chris is a PROPERLY set up kit. Why are we not seeing more LS1 turbos going quick at the dragstrip then????? I think a setup similiar to what the MOOSESTANG boys are using on THEIR 347's would work great.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah a PROPERLY set up turbo, which seems to be in fantasy land right now. right now the ls1tech turbo ls1s are gettin destroyed by the ls1tech n20 crew and some n/a with no so crazy hp.

talking about that..(neat) any idea why you initially made similar hp & torque and then on the second dyno it went to 474hp and 620tq??

Quick Reply: Any News on the STS turbo kit?