Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Minor Updates on the 106MM SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptainDirtymax
dave, i still want to see this monster running down at TVR. when do you think it will be out there???
Soon - I know I keep saying that. Just waiting to finish up the last of the wiring (only need a couple switches) and the finial overflow can to be finished.

Was suppose to go to a local car show today, but it is raining. The SS starts and drives great. Needs a good dyno tune and she'll be ready.

I did finish putting in the dash and few other items yesterday.

David
Old 06-23-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

It's been a long time coming, but my initial shake down pass is done. Very please that everything went smoothly. NOTHING SPECIAL. Just wanted to know that the SS would go straight down the track. We had no intention of even making a 1/4 mile pass. Things were good enough to try the 1/4 a couple of times. Had a better pass but didn't get a video of it.

Waste gates only - 10/11# of boost; no 2-step. Just learning what the car like and doesn't. Left the track with everything in tack. We need to get the hood's front fasteners on. Other than that, just step it up.

It did feel good to be back at the track after 18 months.

Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GurfL...eature=channel

David
Old 06-23-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good. What was your short time?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 PM
8 Second Club

nice build
Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by reamo04
looks good. What was your short time?
On the run on the video - 2.1 . Blew the tires off but still did the 10.54 at 148. Best of the day in 4 runs: 1.7... Like I said, nothing special on this Sunday.

David
Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

10.54s still good at 148, where did you let off? In the video, your cars suprisingly quiet
Old 06-23-2010, 09:41 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lookin good, just need to find a good track to put them radials to the test.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Launching!

maybe with the new rubbers you will hook better.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by reamo04
10.54s still good at 148, where did you let off? In the video, your cars suprisingly quiet

say that when your 15 feet from it on the dyno
Old 06-24-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

I've never drag raced on a track so excuse my n00b knowledge.....

Is it tougher to bite on a drag radial versus slick?
Do turbo cars needs to adjust the boost from 0' to 60' to 330' onward?
Does suspension help the tires bite?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow man your car is amazing!! Ive been fallowing the thread for about a month now and just never posted. Congrats on finally getting it down the track!!

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I've never drag raced on a track so excuse my n00b knowledge.....

Is it tougher to bite on a drag radial versus slick?
Do turbo cars needs to adjust the boost from 0' to 60' to 330' onward?
Does suspension help the tires bite?
im really really raelly not trying to be a dick here, but youve got enough posts and have been on the site long enough to know the answer to these..

yes its harder to get a radial to hook than a slick
i cant answer #2 for something of this type of power level, but all of the turbo cars i know try and get boost as quickly as possible, doesnt matter if its 50' 100' or 330'
suspension ALWAYS helps no matter what

like i said im rreally not trying to be a dick, but certain things should be common sense
Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
im really really raelly not trying to be a dick here, but youve got enough posts and have been on the site long enough to know the answer to these..

i cant answer #2 for something of this type of power level, but all of the turbo cars i know try and get boost as quickly as possible, doesnt matter if its 50' 100' or 330'

like i said im rreally not trying to be a dick, but certain things should be common sense
lol, youve got a point.

Turbo cars tend to hook a little better because the power tends to come on a little more gently, BUT, not at that power level. the 106mm turbo is very laggy due to its size, so a big stall, Trans Brake and 3 step are used to get it spooled before the light turns green. So Navy David is prob going to see at least 15 or 20psi from the word go. the digital boost control does give more boost as the car moves out but it steps up boost as fast as traction will allow, this is a curve based on T&T and the track and conditions and etc.

Notice how it didnt spool up at all during the burnout, and how long it took to spool just before the light turned green, then how long it took to spool up after he pedaled it. And yet he ran a 10.5 quarter with a 9 flat trap speed, thats a result of spool time and insane gobbs of horsepower with a big single setup.

Last edited by CarsandWomen; 06-24-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

did U cut thru the frame just for the turbo????!!!!!! LMAO
Old 06-24-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
im really really really not trying to be a dick here, but you've got enough posts and have been on the site long enough to know the answer to these..

i cant answer #2 for something of this type of power level, but all of the turbo cars i know try and get boost as quickly as possible, doesn't matter if its 50' 100' or 330'

like i said I'm really not trying to be a dick, but certain things should be common sense
Apparently this stuff wasn't common sense to me or I wouldn't have asked the questions. I've never drag raced so I know nothing about the subject. I just saw that his car blew the tires off the line so I immediately thought of: boost, tires, suspension. I was wondering what was going on.

I guess the class he will race in dictates the tire. As far as the boost levels, I assume it must ramp up to avoid blowing the tires off. Would a softer spring help transfer weight better to make the radial grab more?

No offense taken. I was just curious
Old 06-24-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Apparently this stuff wasn't common sense to me or I wouldn't have asked the questions. I've never drag raced so I know nothing about the subject. I just saw that his car blew the tires off the line so I immediately thought of: boost, tires, suspension. I was wondering what was going on.

I guess the class he will race in dictates the tire. As far as the boost levels, I assume it must ramp up to avoid blowing the tires off. Would a softer spring help transfer weight better to make the radial grab more?

No offense taken. I was just curious
yes the class hes competing in is Outlaw Drag Radial, not softer, stiffer spring. get a stiff spring and put it on a scale, use your hand and push down on it with an even 10lbs of pressure, then bend a coat hanger into a spring shape and do the same thing. the stiffer spring pushes down on the tire, the softer simply absorbs the pressure.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
get a stiff spring and put it on a scale, use your hand and push down on it with an even 10lbs of pressure, then bend a coat hanger into a spring shape and do the same thing. the stiffer spring pushes down on the tire, the softer simply absorbs the pressure.
Ahhhhh ok. I thought softer to transfer weight
Old 06-24-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

For the most part the answers given are dead on.

Our track is NOT known for their prep. Their answer is always - 'you need bigger tires.' Our reply, 'why is this the only track we can't launch on.'

We were also running on 2 year old shot DR. New skins were put on yesterday. Rear springs right now are 8" 275lb, with adjustable perches. Didn't expect to run any really great times. Next time out we will be stepping it way up.

The turbo doesn't do to bad at spooling. I de-stroked the engine to a stock length - 370 ci (only bored) to get the higher rpms quicker. I can get 4-5lbs of boost at 4100rpm's. I just hope that our track will even hold that little bit. I do run the AMS 1000 - 6 different settings (launch at say 4lbs, than ramp in the boost as the SS is going down the track).

We will launch at what the track will give us.

Our track is so backwards. Only thing they have is bracket racing. We will be traveling to different tracks - mainly Iowa. Would love to live closer to some bigger tracks, but somethings you can't control.

Remember the old saying: The Only Dumb Question Is One That You Don't Ask.

Everyone has to start some where. I have yet to meet anyone that knows everything about racing - only some that think they know everything.

David
Old 06-24-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
yes the class hes competing in is Outlaw Drag Radial, not softer, stiffer spring. get a stiff spring and put it on a scale, use your hand and push down on it with an even 10lbs of pressure, then bend a coat hanger into a spring shape and do the same thing. the stiffer spring pushes down on the tire, the softer simply absorbs the pressure.
I order some 10" 350lb to stiffen up the rear end more, but the damn things wouldn't fit. Still looking.

Actually on my 2nd and 3rd passes my team said the SS picked up the front end - on 1.72 60's. Obviously the track went away real quick.

David
Old 06-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Launching!

nasty ride dave im confident you will work the bugs out and hit 8's for sure possibly 7's with good traction.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

David,

Congrats on getting back to the track. I'm sure it feels good, ur car has always been one of my favorites that I follow.

Question: Did I hear compressor surge when you let off the throttle after finishing ur burnout? If so, is that something to be concerned about? Or is that just the type of BOV you are running?

Quick Reply: Minor Updates on the 106MM SS