Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best timing chain for FI

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMySSo1
you're a retard... plenty of people on this board know my car. search my name... and yes sorry bud but your "Katech chain" is an LS2 chain. now you're calling your wonderful "Katech chain" a **** chain. i use it because it works and it was all you could get that was good when the motor went together 3 years ago.
you are wrong , katech chain is not exactly the same as a ls2 chain

so do you have an ls2 chain in you motor or katech ?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ironhorse583
Well there's 2 broken C5r chains

BTW, I have a cloyes single and haven't had a problem with it.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMySSo1
you should get a little more experience before you comment. 1000+rwhp right here with a stock LS2 chain. been together for 3 years.

and btw a katech chain is an LS2 chain
The Katech chain is not an LS2 chain. It is the IWIS race chain.

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Well there's 2 broken C5r chains

BTW, I have a cloyes single and haven't had a problem with it.
Over 1000 C5-R chains sold and never broken one at Katech or to my knowledge any of our customers. There was one car that was shipped overseas on a boat in gear. The rocking back and forth ended up failing the chain. This is the only one I know of that ever broke, and that was due to negligence, not the product itself. This guy breaks two. I'd say there is something else going on.

The C5-R chain is used in almost everything we build. Solid roller and hydraulic. It's also the C6.R chain. It's been through:
10 hours of Petit Le Mans (ALMS)
12 hours of Sebring (ALMS)
24 hours of Le Mans
24 hours of Spa (FIA GT)
24 hours of Daytona (Grand-Am)
24 hours of Zolder (Belcar series)
30 hours of Circuit de la Sarthe simulation durability on the engine dyno
10,000km of the Dakar rally
Baja 1000

All the 24 hour engines are solid roller engines. We've also used this on 1000hp twin turbo LS7s. Horsepower doesn't really break timing chains. It's usually harmonics. I'd be willing to be the guy that broke two has a solid crank pulley and not an ATI damper.

People buy double roller chains because they think they need it. If one is good then two must be better, right? Same reason why people buy heavy roller rocker arm kits when stock ones work fine. (We've never failed a stock rocker arm either). Then they need a big heavy spring to control the big heavy valvetrain combination they have. Big heavy pushrods too. Then they need some aftermarket lifters because the stock ones can't handle the spring pressure. After that they start breaking timing chains. Time for a dual roller timing chain. We often see valvetrain systems as a mess. That's why Katech invented the Optron valvetrain dynamics cell which was later copied to become the spintron. Our endurance racing success has a lot to do with that test cell. Anybody can make horsepower, but when you start building valvetrain systems that can stay in control, you start winning 24 hour races.

[/end rant]
Old 04-28-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech

Over 1000 C5-R chains sold and never broken one at Katech or to my knowledge any of our customers. There was one car that was shipped overseas on a boat in gear. The rocking back and forth ended up failing the chain. This is the only one I know of that ever broke, and that was due to negligence, not the product itself. This guy breaks two. I'd say there is something else going on.

The C5-R chain is used in almost everything we build. Solid roller and hydraulic. It's also the C6.R chain. It's been through:
24 hours of Le Mans
24 hours of Spa (FIA GT)
Baja 1000

All the 24 hour engines are solid roller engines. We've also used this on 1000hp twin turbo LS7s. Horsepower doesn't really break timing chains. It's usually harmonics. I'd be willing to be the guy that broke two has a solid crank pulley and not an ATI damper.

People buy double roller chains because they think they need it. If one is good then two must be better, right? Same reason why people buy heavy roller rocker arm kits when stock ones work fine. (We've never failed a stock rocker arm either). Then they need a big heavy spring to control the big heavy valvetrain combination they have. Big heavy pushrods too. Then they need some aftermarket lifters because the stock ones can't handle the spring pressure. After that they start breaking timing chains. Time for a dual roller timing chain. We often see valvetrain systems as a mess. That's why Katech invented the Optron valvetrain dynamics cell which was later copied to become the spintron. Our endurance racing success has a lot to do with that test cell. Anybody can make horsepower, but when you start building valvetrain systems that can stay in control, you start winning 24 hour races.

[/end rant]
I guess that settles this debate
Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for clearing that up
Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24 hours of Le Mans
24 hours of Spa (FIA GT)
Baja 1000

[/end rant]
can you make one for the new RHS block? If so please pm me a price
Thank You
Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdpepper
can you make one for the new RHS block? If so please pm me a price
Thank You
Yes, we do. We had it made for our 500ci block. Same price - $149.99
Old 04-30-2010, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Another broken timing chain (not C5-R) - another ASP underdrive pulley
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1573926623

Another ASP/timing chain failure
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1573926701

I'm beginning to see a trend with the ASP underdrive pulley.

Last edited by Katech_Jason; 04-30-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

^^^nothing wrong with ATI or the stock balancer right ?

Quick Reply: Best timing chain for FI