Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Going from a 22x19x2 to a 24x19x1 to try and solve over heating problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from a 22x19x2 to a 24x19x1 to try and solve over heating problem...

Right now I have a dual core 22x19x3(dual core-about 2") in my car and im having some serious over heating problems. No matter what I do: thermostat in, no thermostat, removing intercooler, adding a second fan, driving at highway speeds, idling. shrouding..pretty much everything you could think of.

Now the way the car is setup the cross over pipe is almost touching the radiator(its wrapped). Theres no room to move it any farther forward. The inlet is on the bottom driver side and the coolant hose to the water pump is pretty much resting on the cross over as well. Even with the fans on(a 2500cfm pusher and a 1000cfm puller) and the car idling the temp(with or without thermostat) slowly creeps up to 230 eventually.

Last year before I did the turbo setup I was running a cam/nitrous and the stock 350z radiator(31x19x5/8") with only ONE of the two stock 350z fans working and the car never got above 200* with the stock 185* thermostat.

My idea is to switch from the one I have now to a single core 24x19x1.25(2.25 overall) in an attempt to move the radiator an inch forward away from the cross over and also switch the in/out and have the inlet on the passenger side right near the inlet on the water pump so it wont have to run along the cross over before going into the WP.

Im thinking(hoping) that this radiator is too thick and too close to the cross over(I could barely feel air passing through the radiator with the fans on)......what do you guys think?
Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

UpToTheTop
Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much air do your fans move? Puller? pictures.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:33 AM
10 Second Club

Ones a 2500cfm pusher and the other is a 1000cfm puller.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To be honest, saying that the fans won't blow through the thicker radiator, isn't the radiators fault. You should be looking for a fan that WILL blow through it. An also a 2000cfm Chinese fan compared to a 2000cfm SPAL fan isn't the same. I bought 2 10" SPAL fans an they blow through my 3" thick radiator no problem.

On the other hand, if you are overheating at freeway speed, you more than likely have an airflow issue. Also, is your steam port connected to the radiator?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
To be honest, saying that the fans won't blow through the thicker radiator, isn't the radiators fault. You should be looking for a fan that WILL blow through it. An also a 2000cfm Chinese fan compared to a 2000cfm SPAL fan isn't the same. I bought 2 10" SPAL fans an they blow through my 3" thick radiator no problem.

On the other hand, if you are overheating at freeway speed, you more than likely have an airflow issue. Also, is your steam port connected to the radiator?
Its a FAL fan...not exactly chinese.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Taurus or Volvo fans pull nearly 4,000 cfm. You need a proper puller fan and some hood venting.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gnx7
Taurus or Volvo fans pull nearly 4,000 cfm. You need a proper puller fan and some hood venting.
Well the problem is nothing else fits...so maybe if I go with a thinner raditor it will do the same thing...as far as hood vents im def. not cutting holes in my nismo hood..im in love with that thing lol
Old 08-05-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Snyper
Its a FAL fan...not exactly chinese.
Im just saying.... I have used the chinese, and they SUCK AZZ. I have used 2 12" FAL pullers and they were alright, kinda noisy and didnt seem to move much air, but kept the engine cool nonetheless.

Then i changed my turbo location and couldnt use pullers anymore, so after talking to Griffin, the recommended a SPAL fan because of their testing on them. Unfortunately I could only do 2 10" pushers (way less efficient technically) and the SPAL's actually dropped my temps faster than the FAL's ever did.

All im saying is that all fans are not created equal

i hope you figure it out tho, i know it can be frustrating
Old 08-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Restricted User

Ones a 2500cfm pusher and the other is a 1000cfm puller.
Is the puller directly inline of the pusher, or offset so that half the radiator has air pushed across and the other half has air pulled across? Got a picture from the other side?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Unfort. I dont have any pictures of the setup and I cant since it is already apart but the smaller fan is offset closer to the outlet on the rad. I tried it directly in the middle and offset, with or without intercooler in the way and nothing changes the temp.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Restricted User

The reason that I ask is that you shouldn't put them in series. Specially if one is stronger than the other. The weaker fan will actually create an obstruction. Have you tried just running the big fan by itself?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
The reason that I ask is that you shouldn't put them in series. Specially if one is stronger than the other. The weaker fan will actually create an obstruction. Have you tried just running the big fan by itself?
Yes, thats what I did first.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Cant see much detail in the pics.

But fans should cover as much of the core as possible. So never mount two in the same position.
side by side is best, that way they draw air through pretty much the entire core.

Also ensure no air can flow past the sides of the radiator when driving. Seal off all possible bypass routes. This can also ensure that when stationary or moving slowly, no hot air can be drawn and re-circulated through the core.

What is the makeup of the system, and how much water ? Does the rad have adequate air removal if it is higher than the engine ? ie a bleed port to the header tank ?

Likewise, the cylinder head air bleeds....are you using 2 or 4 ? 4 does apparently help. Again, bleeding air back to the header tank which will be the highest point in the cooling system.

The radiator in my car is less than ideal, and there is a whopping intercooler in front of it. But taking note of all the above items, I do have temperature pretty much under control
Old 08-07-2010, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

In fact...looking again, it looks like when driving, air will just sail past your radiator to the left where the blower is.

The fan ducting/shroud also looks poor. Can air be blown onto the core, and sikmply bounce back off and out ? Any ducts or shrouds must ensure there is no possibility of air escape, other than passing through the core.

Taking time to ensure there is airflow through the core doesnt cost a lot of money, and will make a huge difference
Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

remove hood, and drive car down highway, see if that helps if it does put a big ol' hole in the top of that thing!
Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Right now I have a dual core 22x19x3(dual core-about 2") in my car and im having some serious over heating problems. No matter what I do: thermostat in, no thermostat, removing intercooler, adding a second fan, driving at highway speeds, idling. shrouding..pretty much everything you could think of.

Now the way the car is setup the cross over pipe is almost touching the radiator(its wrapped). Theres no room to move it any farther forward. The inlet is on the bottom driver side and the coolant hose to the water pump is pretty much resting on the cross over as well. Even with the fans on(a 2500cfm pusher and a 1000cfm puller) and the car idling the temp(with or without thermostat) slowly creeps up to 230 eventually.

Last year before I did the turbo setup I was running a cam/nitrous and the stock 350z radiator(31x19x5/8") with only ONE of the two stock 350z fans working and the car never got above 200* with the stock 185* thermostat.

My idea is to switch from the one I have now to a single core 24x19x1.25(2.25 overall) in an attempt to move the radiator an inch forward away from the cross over and also switch the in/out and have the inlet on the passenger side right near the inlet on the water pump so it wont have to run along the cross over before going into the WP.

Im thinking(hoping) that this radiator is too thick and too close to the cross over(I could barely feel air passing through the radiator with the fans on)......what do you guys think?
Based on the bolded statements it has NOTHING to do with your radiator set up. It has to do with the poorly routed hot side piping. If you fix the relationship between the radiator hoses/radiator and the ht side i bet your problem will clear up instantly.

This happened to a friends car where his downpipe was almost touching his radiator (dual core vs single core stock) and it would get hot. Then when he switched manifold/dp setup the over heating stopped.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sloganish
remove hood, and drive car down highway, see if that helps if it does put a big ol' hole in the top of that thing!
Im REALLY hoping I dont have to cut into this hood..it wasn't cheap and it looks great without holes..

Originally Posted by mgroshong
Based on the bolded statements it has NOTHING to do with your radiator set up. It has to do with the poorly routed hot side piping. If you fix the relationship between the radiator hoses/radiator and the ht side i bet your problem will clear up instantly.

This happened to a friends car where his downpipe was almost touching his radiator (dual core vs single core stock) and it would get hot. Then when he switched manifold/dp setup the over heating stopped.
I was thinking that was part of the problem. I ordered the new radiator and since its smaller there will be at least an inch of clearance between all the piping and the radiator. Also the in/out are reverse on this radiator so instead of the inlet to the engine running across(and touching) the hotside before entering the radiator it will run directly into the engine with a much shorter hose.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

might have teh pipes coated too, theres a few different ones that have been proven to work
Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
In fact...looking again, it looks like when driving, air will just sail past your radiator to the left where the blower is.
I made something to block off that whole opening..made no difference...

Quick Reply: Going from a 22x19x2 to a 24x19x1 to try and solve over heating problem...