3.3L whipple...
Max blower RPM - 13,000
Max CFM (manufac. spec.) -1412 cfm
Max flywheel hp -1000 hp

D1sc Procharger
max blower RPM - 62K
max cfm -1400 cfm
max flywheel hp -925

Now what would you rather have on your GTO. It seems the 3.3L whipple would mak much more average HP than the D1sc. We might see some serious times form a PD blown LS1
Old 01-21-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Turbo SS
3.3L whipple...
Max blower RPM - 13,000
Max CFM (manufac. spec.) -1412 cfm
Max flywheel hp -1000 hp

D1sc Procharger
max blower RPM - 62K
max cfm -1400 cfm
max flywheel hp -925

Now what would you rather have on your GTO. It seems the 3.3L whipple would mak much more average HP than the D1sc. We might see some serious times form a PD blown LS1
If the Whipple has a good intercooling method i think it would be worth it since it does give better low end power and mid range. Until now i didnt see a good intercooling method on a whipple charger. Most of the whipple or screw supercharger out there starts to lose power after running them hard for few minuts due to higher IAT.

So if i wanted a drag car the whipple would be best, but if i wanted a daily or road course car the D-1SC would be great.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:16 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
So if i wanted a drag car the whipple would be best, but if i wanted a daily or road course car the D-1SC would be great.
prety sure that is backwards, the whipple is killer on the streets and would be good on a road course too. at the strip they would both be fun but you would need a stall with the D-1sc.

whipples kick *** at moderate boost levels, that 3300 is BIG, i think that along with a 409 at 7-9psi would be seriously bad ***. it would drive like stock, run on pump gas and have some serious power
Old 01-21-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup i agree with parish, fat low end boost and flat tq curves make for great street cars or stick cars in general. drag and big stall autos want peak power with centrifugal blowers.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Teching In

Wink

Yes the whipple is great at low speed's
But on a hot day with high IAT it feels like someone has stolen my blower

My advice is a vortech or ati setup with front mount intercooler ,water injection on the intercooler and before the compresser ,It's better all year round.

But if you love the low down violent grunt of a whipple ,dont bother looking at a water to air intercoler ,as you sit at a few sets of lights and it has lost it's main benifit
So Save your self some money and do a proper on boost methnol injection system to keep the IAT down , And if the idea of methanol injection scares you "don't be" Or you just wouldn't run something like that with a blower ,buy an ATI or vortech

It's that Simple
Old 02-10-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I asked about a twin screw blower on corvetteforums a long time ago and just recently brought the thread back up to check on any progress.
It just so happened that someone called Kenne Bell after seeing the thread.
He said they will be producing an intercooled twin scew blower for the C5.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=749567

The twin screw is easily the best type of blower and probably better than even going the turbo route on as LS1. Roots blowers build low rpm boost, but fall off at high rpm. Turbo's have to spool no matter how well their matched, they won't be hitting full boost at just off idle like the screw blower will. Tuning is another area where a blower is a little easier to tune than a turbo also. Turbo's have tons of plumbing but they're still the ultimate for all out efforts where money is no concern. Centrifugal is about the worst form of FI in terms of area under the curve and efficiency. It combines lag and low rpm inefficiency, that's why they don't hit peak boost till peak rpm.

The screw can hold 7-8psi from off idle till redline making massive trq and almost identical peak hp as a centrifugal. With an intercooler it should perform great since it already has the lowest discharge tempratures of all the FI forms. The best thing is it's pretty easy to install compared to a turbo or centrifugal since it's pretty much like just changing an intake. There's no oil lines to run since they have a self contained oiling system. If the intercooler is like the 03 Cobra's you also won't have to worry about routing pipe or mouting an intercooler since the intercooler will be in the lower intake under the blower.
The screw blowers get overlooked a lot since they're a little more expensive and have very few distributers. I wish they fit under the cowl of an F-body because that's the only way I'd go forced induction.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Twin Screw
But if you love the low down violent grunt of a whipple ,dont bother looking at a water to air intercoler ,as you sit at a few sets of lights and it has lost it's main benifit
Not sure about that one.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ryan23silverado do you have any intake tempratures to share with your setup? I bet it's so close to ambient it might even be cooler in some conditions.

I've looked at your setup and custom buildup before and it's really sweet
Old 02-10-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the compliment Fast LS1! It works very well, but no it definitely will not be lower than ambient air. A great intercooler will show somewhere around 85% efficiency. For example if outside air is 80* then incoming air would be 92* -that would be a great intercooler. On the trucks the IAT is incorporated in the MAF. On my setup, I have the MAF in a draw through position, so I haven't got any incoming temps. post intercooler yet. (I need to get my buddy's temp. wires to put in the air stream sometime to check it out though) I bet I am around 80% effieciency though under boost. On 91 octane, 18*advance and 11psi we get zero knock
The use of ice should be pretty sweet!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow 11psi, what's the compression ratio on the trucks?
With ice I bet that intercooler will probably get the temps down to almost ambient, I guess I should have said with ice. Still without ice those temps are better than most air to air's and you don't have to fit the intercooler up front.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

With stock heads, there was a hint of knock on 20* (stock 9.5:1 cr)
With stage2 LS6 Pat.Perf. heads with 64cc head chambers (about 9.2:1 cr) no knock in 60*F weather and 18* timing. We are getting the timing tuned in again for the new cr with the 64cc chambers.

I was trying to look for it, but cannot find it...Doesn't an Australian company already produce an intercooled 3300ax kit that bolts right up to the LS1?
Old 02-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ryan23silverado
I was trying to look for it, but cannot find it...Doesn't an Australian company already produce an intercooled 3300ax kit that bolts right up to the LS1?
http://www.forcedairtech.com.au/genkit.htm

Quick Reply: 3.3L whipple vs D1sc for GTO