Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

QMP Turbo Formula - 750rwhp / 830rwtq STOCK ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's funny about the alky injection...

when the STS guy explained about the alky kit and methanol people were saying it was "a poor intercooling design".

i don't see those people now.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob - If I wanted to purchase just an intercooler from you what would the price be? Are you injecting methanol or denatured alky?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Dammit Rob, I'm never gonna catch you now!!

Congrats though . . . simply freakin' amazing!!
Old 01-23-2004, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,207 Likes on 773 Posts

Dang big numbers!!!

The old record for a stock longblock would have been around 710rwhp for forced induction. Alky injection using methanol is nice, must make your fuel mixture like 116-120 octane right Harlan? Harlan did like 710rwhp on an Eddy current dyno, ~3700, and went 143mph so you should fly!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Banned

QMP Guys - Question: You guys are running the stock 10.0:1 compression right?

Do you feel that compression is hurting you or helping you on this motor??

If the motor was 8-9:1 would you expect you could make more power safely by turning up the boost more? or would the fact your using such high octane and alky inj, mean you can keep the higher compression and make more power with the high compression?

(kinda curious on your thoughts on compression here)
Old 01-23-2004, 03:24 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C4VetteLS1
QMP Guys - Question: You guys are running the stock 10.0:1 compression right?

Do you feel that compression is hurting you or helping you on this motor??

If the motor was 8-9:1 would you expect you could make more power safely by turning up the boost more? or would the fact your using such high octane and alky inj, mean you can keep the higher compression and make more power with the high compression?

(kinda curious on your thoughts on compression here)
DITTO, thats a great question, i would have to think if the turbo isn't maxed that they would make more power with less compresion and more boost(on the same fuel). i would like the hear Robs and Harlens opinion.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alky injection using methanol is nice, must make your fuel mixture like 116-120 octane right Harlan
the power made from methanol is not from higher octane. It burns at a 4 to 4.5-1 A-F mix for best power. It has tremendous charge cooling effects. It has less BTU's per lb than gas. But you can burn more than double the amount of it in the engine so it comes out on top over race gas.
Using methanol is not in any way a band aid. Using water is I'll agree.
Methanol is a superior fuel than gas in just about every way for making HP.
It works exceptionally well in blown motors. And works great under load.
If one were using straight methanol for the entire fuel system you would NOT use any intercooler even at 30psi boost. It cools the charge that well.
The higher the % you use in proportion to gas the better the effects will be from it.
Steve
Old 01-23-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

I think lower static CR and higher boost is without a doubt the way to go . . . Rob's just trying to show what can be done with proper tuning and octane . . .
Old 01-23-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Nice job Rob. I hope that thing will still be holding together for the North South shootout this spring, I'd love to see it run.

-Geoff
Old 01-23-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Terry Burger
Don't you know you can't make over 600rwhp with the stock LS6 manifold? Hehe I always knew Incon was full of it. Awesome numbers!

When did LS6 intakes come out, Model Year 2001? So that means people were able to get them in say late 2000? Did Incon ever test with a LS6 Intake? If so, what did they say Terry?

Rob...Congrats on the awesome numbers. I am assumming this is on a STOCK FLYWHEEL/CLUTCH ASSEMBLY? If so, WOW!!! To hold all that much power is CRAZY!!

Mir
Old 01-23-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by S_J_H
the power made from methanol is not from higher octane. It burns at a 4 to 4.5-1 A-F mix for best power. It has tremendous charge cooling effects. It has less BTU's per lb than gas. But you can burn more than double the amount of it in the engine so it comes out on top over race gas.
Yes, it does quite well cooling the intake charge.

The fact is, there's probably close to 150hp worth of "fuel", if not more, being added with the injection. A single 340 simply can't support the fueling needs of that power level alone.

even at closer to stoich for pure methanol 5:1'ish that's a reasonible amount. Effective octane on methanol is HIGH.

yes, it cools the charge. it also makes it possible to claim "pump gas" It's an octane boost as well.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Doesn't methanol eat **** up like crazy??
Old 01-23-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

yep, plastic, aluminum, paint, etc etc

nasty ****
Old 01-23-2004, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Talking

I'm sorry I don't have time right now to answer anymore questions, but I did want to post the dyno graphs like I promised. So here they are:

The first is the 712rwhp/831rwtq graph. The reason part of the graph is missing, is because that's where it started smoking the tires on the dyno....

The 2nd graph was made literally 2 minutes after the 749rwhp pull. So it was obviously hot. But it looked pretty good, so I posted it.

The 3rd is the 749 rwhp pull. The only way I could get it to print out legibly was to print it with HP only and speed. Otherwise most of the graph was missing due to wheelspin. On the graph at 80mph, the HP drops from wheelspin and continued to drop until 102mph. Dynojet filled in that area with a line connecting the two points. Otherwise, I think it would have shown even more power.

Thanks again for all the great responses. I'll try to answer some questions later tonight or tomorrow....
Attached Thumbnails QMP Turbo Formula - 750rwhp / 830rwtq  STOCK ENGINE-formula712.jpg   QMP Turbo Formula - 750rwhp / 830rwtq  STOCK ENGINE-formula682.jpg   QMP Turbo Formula - 750rwhp / 830rwtq  STOCK ENGINE-formula749.jpg  
Old 01-23-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Excal
it's funny about the alky injection...

when the STS guy explained about the alky kit and methanol people were saying it was "a poor intercooling design".

i don't see those people now.
You also didn`t see many people runing the water/alky untill STS came out with the kit now everyones jumping on the bandwagon. All it takes is proof that a product works and it will sell itself. IMO theres two products that proved themselves here.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

yah funny how that works. couple of us have been using it for years but nobody believed or was interested.

now everybody's gonna have it. damn there goes my exclusivity
Old 01-23-2004, 06:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,207 Likes on 773 Posts

I have a few dyno sheets that I can fax to someone I can't get them scanned until Monday. If someone can scan them I can send them to you in the next 15 minutes. One of the sheets has my 746rwhp run and 731rwhp run. We need to keep in mind that I am going through an unlocked turbo 400 so had I gone thru an M6 or a locked A4 the numbers might peak lower on the graph.

PM me asap.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MYTURBOT/A
You also didn`t see many people runing the water/alky untill STS came out with the kit now everyones jumping on the bandwagon. All it takes is proof that a product works and it will sell itself. IMO theres two products that proved themselves here.
this comes from rob dealing with buicks
this is old school in buick terms, but I have to agree in the ls1 crowd
Old 01-23-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, it does quite well cooling the intake charge.

The fact is, there's probably close to 150hp worth of "fuel", if not more, being added with the injection. A single 340 simply can't support the fueling needs of that power level alone.

even at closer to stoich for pure methanol 5:1'ish that's a reasonible amount. Effective octane on methanol is HIGH.

yes, it cools the charge. it also makes it possible to claim "pump gas" It's an octane boost as well.
YEP,I hope nobody gets the idea this power level is safely obtainable with stock rails and a single 340 and pump gas.
The alky system is a major player here IMO.
I have been using water/alky for about 3 years now in my ls1.
I am switching to 100% methanol this coming season for auxilliary injection.
Should be fun.

Steve
Old 01-23-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn. That is impressive. I'm glad we convinced you to keep the stock engine. That turbo kit is looking more and more tempting.

Quick Reply: QMP Turbo Formula - 750rwhp / 830rwtq STOCK ENGINE