Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Making the switch from Procharger to Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Dan! If you remember pitting next to WantedZ last fall at the MIR rental, I'm sure he will be looking at this thread. He's basically doing the same thing now himself.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
Looks great Dan! If you remember pitting next to WantedZ last fall at the MIR rental, I'm sure he will be looking at this thread. He's basically doing the same thing now himself.
Thanks Frost. I do remember that MIR rental. It was a lot of fun. He has a nice looking Z and it ran pretty good too. I wish him good luck. This is my first build like this and I Am really enjoying it.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just saying to throw the cam in. You know the stall is wrong, why change cams in the future as well!?!?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 AM
10 Second Club

Well like I said if I toss it together this way I can get it out for a couple weeks here in the fall just to work all the bugs out and feel out the kit. If I have to wait for my other cam and stuff I will not get out until Spring and then I will loose some of the good weather in the spring working out the bugs
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Well FINALLY I got my hot parts back. what I was told would be a 3-5 day turn around turned into 3 weeks but at least they are back and they look great. I had the manifolds, crossover pipe, exhaust housing, and down pipe coated. I also put some fresh silver paint on the head sheilds. The crossover pipe and part of the down pipe will also be getting wrapped in DEI titanium exhaust wrap.

I also today got my Turbo Blanket, and fans. So now all I need to do is install the hot parts, run my drain and feed lines. Figure out the turbo inlet, and rad hoses, and finalize some of the small details. I am hoping to be up and running in about 2 weeks.

Here are some pics of the coated hot parts.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn everything looks clean and seems to be coming together for ya! I'll have to keep an eye on this.

I still have my D1SC sitting in my garage. Didnt get a chance to install it this summer but I'm thinking this winter.

You down to assist another [easier] project? I definitely need some help.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Well I know it has been a long time since I update this but a lot of stuff has been going on.

I guess I will start where I left off. In early October I got the car all back together with the turbo installed and I was ready to get things rolling. When I had a mishap. car didn't even run for 10 seconds

I apparently lost a bolt either when I was tearing down or reassembling the motor and it found its way down into #7. It destroyed the block, piston, damaged the head and bent 2 valves. Well after all this happened I had to walk away from the car for a bit as about 3 weeks after this happened I put an offer on my first house. I settled on this my new house the week before Christmas. I have spend the last 6 weeks busting my *** getting the house ready live in.

So I am all settled in the house now with only some minor small projects to finish. I have pulled the trigger to get back to working on the Firehawk. I got a new block and crank from a buddy of mine and I picked up a piston to replace the damaged on. I dropped all that off at the machine shop over the weekend and should be getting that back in a few weeks. I also picked up a set of AFR 205 heads for a good price that will be an improvement over my 243 heads.

Still need to pic a cam and I am gonna get my converter restalled since it is all apart.

Look for some more updates in the next couple weeks. Things should really start rolling in about 1 month
Attached Thumbnails Making the switch from Procharger to Turbo-cylinder.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

I'm glad to see you working on it again.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 AM
10 Second Club

Now you just need to get back to work on yours. Granted I have a lot more to do than you but still. Racing weather will be here before you know it
Old 02-08-2011, 06:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Where do you guys race at? I grew up in the Carlisle area... Cannot for the life of me remember the name of the track, but used to go to and 1/8th mile with my old man when he was racing his 71' chevelle.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

South mountain now Quarter Aces is over near Carlise. We mainly race down at Cecil.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Now you just need to get back to work on yours. Granted I have a lot more to do than you but still. Racing weather will be here before you know it
I have been doing a little everyday here lately. Just need to get it ready to be primed then I'm ready........How soon will you get the shortblock back? Will you be testing in March?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Short block I should have back in 2-3 weeks. I need to get the car to the body shop next week so they can fix the paint work they screwed up. then I need to assemble. If I am out in march it will be LATE march but I am in no rush. as long as I am ready for OC I will be happy
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

South Moutain sounds very accurate. I will ask him tonight, i was just curious. THat was along time ago. 20 years or so.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

what size is that crossover?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Cross over is 2.5" diameter pipe
Old 02-08-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah ok. for whatever reason it looked bigger.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Excuse my ignorance but do the truck header setups flow enough to be comparable to the tubular setups? I'm lookin at costs from proharger to turbo and they seem about equal. Also how is the low end with the pt88? I was considering the f1d for all around use vs a peak power car. Mani setups I was lookin at that was local to me, cause I can't weld, is from spoolinperformance.com

but that ceramic looks good especially with the oem heatshields
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bucnasty
Excuse my ignorance but do the truck header setups flow enough to be comparable to the tubular setups? I'm lookin at costs from proharger to turbo and they seem about equal. Also how is the low end with the pt88? I was considering the f1d for all around use vs a peak power car. Mani setups I was lookin at that was local to me, cause I can't weld, is from spoolinperformance.com

but that ceramic looks good especially with the oem heatshields
The truck manifolds have been proven over and over again. They are abundant and have been on 7 second cars. Plus they are plenty strong and less prone to cracking unlike some tubular setups.....As far as flow, they flow well enough.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
The truck manifolds have been proven over and over again. They are abundant and have been on 7 second cars. Plus they are plenty strong and less prone to cracking unlike some tubular setups.....As far as flow, they flow well enough.
Cool thanks for the response sorry for lol

ill look further into them

Quick Reply: Making the switch from Procharger to Turbo