Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need help choosing, top mounted TT, single T, or rear mount on a 1933 ford!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help choosing, top mounted TT, single T, or rear mount on a 1933 ford!

I need help deciding what im going to do, i had my heart set on top mounted twins, then i ran into a fitment issue with my brake and clutch masters, so i couldn't fit the piping. I started tossing around ideas, i wanted FI regardless, so i started thinking SC either something roots or cent, then rear mount. In the meanwhile i continued to work on my pedal assembly and was able to make a self-contained pedal assembly, so the masters are in the car, and nothing goes through the firewall other than the butt of the clutch mc and a line from the brake mc.

Now i have the space again for the twins, but flirting with the idea of single turbo has got me thinking. Help me choose, my criterea are performance/asthetics/cost.

Here is how the twins would be mounted. The only differences are the turbos would sit closer to the motor, and downpipes would not loop out like these so i could still keep my hood sides if i feel like it, or drive in the rain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VConsof5F5U

Next option is along the same lines, except its a single turbo. This video shows the exhaust exiting out the top, mine will split to duels[aesthetics] and run down the firewall and out the back. If you couldn't tell, i like symmetry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVlov_t4fjg

And lastly is a rear mount, it will keep a clean look out front, and a sleeperish feel[as sleeper as a hot rod can look i guess]. I will mostly keep the hood on, and the hood sides off. So the top mounted single turbo will be slightly hidden.

The attached pic is the car as it sits now in the rain! Any input would be great!
Attached Thumbnails Need help choosing, top mounted TT, single T, or rear mount on a 1933 ford!-image_152.jpg  
Old 08-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Restricted User

DO NOT DO A REAR MOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man i hate butt mounts so much. lol. i'm going from a single 76 to twin 70s. the only issue with twins is alot more tubing and lines, etc to fit and work around. whats wrong with a single TC76 "wink" why would you stick such a pretty turbo to get beat to hell by what ever is on the road?

I'll never forget why i hate rear mounts. my buddy built a rear mount IROC with a real nice PTE76GTS and he banged it hard going into his girlfiend's driveway. needless to say the compressor housing was busted and the rotor was toast. and it was tucked up nice too. just a thought though.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If i went rear mount it would be an ebay cheap turbo with a stand alone oiling system. So if it grenades or smashes, then its easily replaceable. Piping would be easier as well. My main concern was the lag.

When it comes to spacing, i have plenty of space for the turbo in the back, hell i could even route it to the corner of the trunk.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transammiller
DO NOT DO A REAR MOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man i hate butt mounts so much. lol. i'm going from a single 76 to twin 70s. the only issue with twins is alot more tubing and lines, etc to fit and work around. whats wrong with a single TC76 "wink" why would you stick such a pretty turbo to get beat to hell by what ever is on the road?

I'll never forget why i hate rear mounts. my buddy built a rear mount IROC with a real nice PTE76GTS and he banged it hard going into his girlfiend's driveway. needless to say the compressor housing was busted and the rotor was toast. and it was tucked up nice too. just a thought though.
Bwaaa haaa haaa haaa hhaaa!!! Are u serious? I drove my rearmount car across three states lol. Dont get me wrong I wont drive over a speed bump, but nither will some front mount cars.

To the op, Do what u want, a rearmount 32 will be the first and a original, But u cant go wrong with twin fronts or a nice single.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
To the op, Do what u want, a rearmount 32 will be the first and a original, But u cant go wrong with twin fronts or a nice single.
That didn't help jp Do you get much lag with it? And what size turbo are you running?

Im leaning twords rear at the moment, i like the clean look up front. I double checked my spacing infront of the motor last night, so see if i could fit stuff down there, but theres no way.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Restricted User

sure you can do a rearmount and lag will be an issue but you can do things to help it like wrapping or coating the hot pipes. smaller diameter exhaust will increase velocity but limit power up top, spool valve if you use a double scroll housing, or nitrous. there are guys here running in the 9s with a rearmount.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I sat staring at the car in the rain for a little while yesterday, im almost 100% on rear mount, my oil pan will get bashed before the turbo will so thats not a worry.

How does 2.5" pipes from cast C5 headers combined right at the t4 flange sound.

Meth and the length of the cold pipes should be ok to go w/o intercooler. OR run an intercooler under my fenders flat w/ some fins to pull air in maybe[but i think this would add more lag tho]. Room for piping a fmic is very slim. And my radiator is barely going to handle the hp i'd like to reach as it is.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Restricted User

alot of people run without intercoolers and spray meth. if you live where its hot alot of the year then it wouldnt be a good idea IAT will be screaming. its very hot and humid here and I am down to the spring (5 lbs) or I'll bust the motor. make sure you run a housing with a .96 or smaller as that will help spool a bit.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are a few guys on yellowbullet running huge turbo's in a rear mount and going very fast. I'm going to do a rearmount on my GTO with a T6 framed turbo. It's a drag/limited street car though. My converter will be in the 4500+ range when I'm done plus nitrous to get out of the hole. The separate oil system is a great idea. I broke a fitting on my rearmount Chevy Avalanche and pissed away 3 quarts of oil in about 30 seconds. If one of my passengers hadn't noticed the smoke cloud, my engine would have been toast.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

i would do twin front mounts 100 % better look.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im in boston, so i get 2-3 hot months at most, and plan on driving the car from the last drop of melted snow in the spring, till the first flake falls in the winter. The turbo will have a nice aluminum splash shield.

I like the twin front look if i was going for an unfinished look w/o fenders and all. But i want to keep it clean, and still fit the side engine panels. I think that would be a bit difficult with twins. Plus my fab work isn't exactly beautiful. It works, but my welds are ugly, i need a nice tig and some practice time.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
I agree those snails just haging off the sides will turn some heads for a second look.

To the op, My car was a six speed car 3.73 gears 4xx ci motor for the haters, and a 76gts turbo. I had full spool by 3.6k in 4th gear just hammering on it. 1,2,3 where use less but fun. The numbers are in the sig I have pics in my album on here. Run a intercooler hands down. The sound and the ride of that 32 is gonna be crazy no matter where u put the turbo.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
I agree those snails just haging off the sides will turn some heads for a second look.

To the op, My car was a six speed car 3.73 gears 4xx ci motor for the haters, and a 76gts turbo. I had full spool by 3.6k in 4th gear just hammering on it. 1,2,3 where use less but fun. The numbers are in the sig I have pics in my album on here. Run a intercooler hands down. The sound and the ride of that 32 is gonna be crazy no matter where u put the turbo.

Did you run a muffle post turbo?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
wut he said!

Quick Reply: Need help choosing, top mounted TT, single T, or rear mount on a 1933 ford!