Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ROUND 4, LQ4 TC78 Front Mount GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011 | 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey kyle, just catching up with your build..... it looks real nice! front mounts get kinda tight in there.... ha ha.... I wish i had more room up front in my car, i would be doing the same thing. Best of luck
Old 01-09-2011 | 07:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by overhere
mine is kinda in the same position and it seems to be working good.
Thank you sir

Originally Posted by Johnv
Too close mmmm......... i've seen them put derectly on the turbo housing..
I guess i was just recalling some thread awhile back about PTE wastegates not working properly when they get too hot.

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
Here's my stocker LS1 piston from 2005...

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1183/imag0312.jpg
That sucks right there. Glad you got her fixed though lucky for me, ill get to post more carnage pics when this motor blows

Originally Posted by TracyRR
hey kyle, just catching up with your build..... it looks real nice! front mounts get kinda tight in there.... ha ha.... I wish i had more room up front in my car, i would be doing the same thing. Best of luck
Thanks tracy, and yes, you are correct, it is very tight up there now. Im looking for a new radiator now. Arg this sucks. oh well.

Thank you wishes, im anxiously awaiting your results from you changes as well.
Old 01-09-2011 | 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, thanks to so motivation by Rossko85 last night i got my *** today and decided to do some more work.

I was originally going to plumb my wastegate into my down pipe, and even cut and shaped the metal to make that happen, Thought it looked very nice as well.

But after much though, i decided, i liked knowing that my wastegate is opening and i like the sound. so im going with the old open dump.

Furthmore, i was able to all but complete my battery relocate yesterday with the help of rossko, so today i decided i would go ahead and run the positive cable to the front, i got some outdoor electrical conduit from home depot, its gray in color, lol. very rigid ****, it was not easy fishing it behind my some **** in the rear of the car. but overall im happy with it, it follows the exact same path my return oil followed for the rear mount.

well, onto the pics i suppose, just 3 today.

Last edited by JAX04; 01-10-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2011 | 05:39 PM
Teching In

Wow coming along very nicely.
Old 02-08-2011 | 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

I have not updated in awhile, sorry. Im a lazy ****

well, as of right now, wiring is all but complete, i have 1 wire left to move around to get it around to the driver side of the motor to hook upto my junction box.

I temp ran it the other day to key on and make sure things worked. To my surprise, all my little lights and dings came on and i was like WOW! so of course, curiosity got the best of me, bumped the key and nothing, starter didnt turn, wonder if i missed a ground, oh well.

But, as she sits, heads are back off getting cleaned today for final assembmly, valve covers getting painted gloss black, crossover and merge are off got finished welded today, had a few things to do, had to add a flex coupling in the middle. They pulled during finish welding, so had to address that.

Charge side is COMPLETE finally, need a few more Tbolt clamps to get her buttoned up.

small list of things to finish, still need to locate a few transmission bolts, lost 3 somehow, who knows.

need to redo all the plumbing for the trans cooler since my new radiator doesnt have a cooler built in, so im hoping this sinlge hayden will do the trick, its rated for a like a damn 1 ton truck with a 10k load or something stupid. cant remember. other then that. getting their, ill throw up a couple pics this weekend, need to put stuff back together first.
Old 02-09-2011 | 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stay at it! You have given me a idea of how to redo my hot side! How will you run your lower coolant pipe?
Old 02-09-2011 | 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Stay at it! You have given me a idea of how to redo my hot side! How will you run your lower coolant pipe?
Piece of cake

a swivel thermostat housing and some nice flexible radiator hose from summit

it should be here tomorrow. my only concern left is the fan situation. ive already butchered up my stock fans, so im going to continue to work on them, if i cant make them work, then i will be getting some slimmer fans that ive seen mentioned here once or twice. so either way, im probably about 500 bucks and some house cleaning away from a hopeful fire up.

thats if the motor doesnt get pulled to be forged before then
Old 02-11-2011 | 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Quick update as i got some stuffz done tonight

1. capped the -10 bung on the oil pan.
2. remounted the heads and retorqued with new ARP lube
3. This time i made sure to cover the heads up so i dont contaminate them
4. got my pipes welded up real nice,
5. cold side is complete, i even got new clamps to make sure its nice and tight
6. cleaned up some wiring, loomed it up to hide it.

things left to do

1. finish radiator mount and finish hacking up stock fans.
2. RE order the swivel thermostat housing since i ordered the wrong one. BUMMER!
3. figure out wire starter doesnt turn or do anything at all for that matter when key to start position
4. drill holes in hotside piping and downpipe for o2 bungs.
5. extend the factory o2 harnesses to make it to the hotside
6. rewire secondary fuel pump. THATS GONNA SUCK
7. mount everything up, and check for clearance
8. Construct some solid motor mounts then brace turbo.
9. run oil feed/return
10. ****, too much to list and im not going down stairs to look at the list on the wall.
Basically just a bunch of clean up and and tidying stuff.

Questions:"

Painting intake manifold

1. What did you do to prep the manifold for paint
2. what kind/brand of paint did you use.

Thanks for following along, and

big thanks to those that have taken time out of your schedules to come lend a helping hand.
i appreciate it big time.
Old 02-11-2011 | 08:34 PM
Launching!

Keep up the good work
Old 02-11-2011 | 09:07 PM
Teching In

Were u able to use the stock fans? Also how are you going to brace the turbo? You don't think the pipes are good enough?
Old 02-12-2011 | 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SirNemesis
Keep up the good work
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by Ls2Goat21
Were u able to use the stock fans? Also how are you going to brace the turbo? You don't think the pipes are good enough?

I dont know yet, lol. Today im going to be tackling that and trying to make them fit. My guess, YES. but who knows.

ive got a couple ideas to make them work, so we shall see what happens. Ill let you all know by the end of the weekend on that on.

And ill be bracing the turbo off the motor with some pieces of steel bolted to a few holes left on the block.

OH, just reminded me, i need to drill and tap that top alternator bolt since the lq4 doesnt have that hole.
Old 02-12-2011 | 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

well first things first bro, make sure the battery aint dead I just realized mine is
Old 02-12-2011 | 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

lol, i guess it could be too dead to turn the starter, but i would assume since all my lights and everything come on without a battery light, ive got something mess up
Old 02-20-2011 | 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, its been a long time coming!

Its been since August(ish) since ive heard my car run, so i spent this weekend doing what ive needed to get done. And i did, the turbo is not mounted on yet only because i want to take a grinder to the inside of the flange to clean some stuff up first.

And i always run it open first to make sure their is nothing that will ruin my turbo.

It appears to be smoking because i always soak the heat wrap in water to help it tighten after a few heat cycles.

Anyway, here is a few pics of the progress then the BLAM! Start up!

To all of you that have come over and helped or lent me tools to make this process possible, thank you!

I hope to have her road worthy in about 2 weeks. Mark, i hope your ready brother!

Old 02-21-2011 | 04:41 AM
Launching!
15 Year Member

Congrats on getting your car running. Always feels good when you turn the key and it starts up for the first time.
Old 02-21-2011 | 06:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by camarof41_383
Congrats on getting your car running. Always feels good when you turn the key and it starts up for the first time.
Thanks bro, its been a long road, and did feel incredible to hear it run. Im thinking another week or two and she will be on the road
Old 02-21-2011 | 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

Nice Build. What manifolds are those? Camaro? What HP are you shooting for? Look good!
Old 02-21-2011 | 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Blownz28man
Nice Build. What manifolds are those? Camaro? What HP are you shooting for? Look good!
They are truck manifolds cut off and vbands welded on.

the driver side one was cut off and built up so that it came out straight to clear the alternator.

hp wise, im not really sure, its stock bottom end lq4 with arp 2000 rod bolts, so im not expecting anything spectacular, this was more a learning curve for me and when this motor pops ill do the right things to make sure it wont happen again, or atleast really lower the chances.

but back to the question at hand, id love to see close to 600whp. But i dont think this 4l60 will like life to much at that level, or the motor. we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the compliments, do you have any build pics of yours??
Old 02-21-2011 | 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome kyle!! Nice to hear it run
Old 02-21-2011 | 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Nice build man! Looks sick! Can't wait to do mine. You just answered my question I was about to ask. I was wanting to keep the stock alternator position. Thanks!

Quick Reply: ROUND 4, LQ4 TC78 Front Mount GTO