Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best intake for Forced Induction

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ajensen383
I was just going to say the same thing...you beat me to it.... Anyway, Shawn is right, I am sure most shops do test all kind of different parts, intakes, cams, heads...etc..that costs money to do and they arent going to give up that info for free. I dont blame them either. Thats how shops make a living..building stuff for customers that kick *** because of their R&D and time and money they have into it.... If they told all their secrets, they wouldnt have a job...I know from experience that it takes alot of years and alot of money to figure out what works and what doesnt, cant expect these guys to give out that info for free... We are lucky that they help us as much as they do for free...... just my .02
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29

Take a look at the CTS-V in the above link. (Old shop is closed but website is still up) It was at 809 rwhp with an LS2 intake manifold, we then swapped it out for a FAST 92 and the power went up to 864! We lost boost with the swap too, so we either had a bad leak or the intake is that much less restrictive. With the huge increase in power that we saw, and the fact the customer has put thousands of miles on this new combo, I'll go with the intake being much less restrictive. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Secrets ?

I guess the biggest secret is how well a stock LS6 intake works...and that has cost virtually nothing.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajensen383
I was just going to say the same thing...you beat me to it.... Anyway, Shawn is right, I am sure most shops do test all kind of different parts, intakes, cams, heads...etc..that costs money to do and they arent going to give up that info for free. I dont blame them either. Thats how shops make a living..building stuff for customers that kick *** because of their R&D and time and money they have into it.... If they told all their secrets, they wouldnt have a job...I know from experience that it takes alot of years and alot of money to figure out what works and what doesnt, cant expect these guys to give out that info for free... We are lucky that they help us as much as they do for free...... just my .02
AMEN brother....god bless the internetI...lol)
Old 12-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess after 4 pages, we came to no conclusion....LOL
Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

conclusion is for 99% of people, replacing the intake is not necessarily the best investment.

and tuning/solid bottom end/fuel system/good fuel/60ft time will get you farther and faster.

if i dont run into any big expenses next year then id like to stick something else on for funs sake... but if it doesnt look like an ls1 i won't like it.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
conclusion is for 99% of people, replacing the intake is not necessarily the best investment.

I understand that, if you already have a combination, but for those that are starting from scratch, it can be very confusing, on what would work best... Your combination works well with what you have, but maybe something else would be better...who knows unless you spend a bunch of money to try one. I would imagine that the factory stuff is alot more restrictive that the aftermarket...If you take Bob's CTS-V example it picked up 62 hp over the stock LS-2..Thats quite a bit..
Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Like I said.. 99%

And I dunno what the guy is doing with the car but the expense to get that 62hp may or may not have been the next best move financially to get down the track quicker... dyno contest, perhaps.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
And I dunno what the guy is doing with the car but the expense to get that 62hp may or may not have been the next best move financially to get down the track quicker... dyno contest, perhaps.
I agree, the car set up means more than 62 hp , but once the car is set up correctly and gets dialed in , an extra 62hp will mean alot....
Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Wow would have thought there would be something in here about the Lingenfelter/weiand intake...Working on building a 408 LQ9 for 20psi...anyone have any experience with it? Also I have a 90mm TB on it with a 3-4 bolt adapter.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LS2 intake is not the LS6 intake. While the LS2 intake does have a bigger TB opening allowing for a 90mm+, it doesn't mean that it flows more air. The LS2 intake also has layers unlike the LS6 that is a solid chunk of plastic. Under boost, the LS2 swells and the layers separate. That creates turbulence inside the intake. I'd bet that had the LS2 been swapped for an LS6 in Bob's example, it would have split the difference making the choice that much more difficult.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Default Conclusion, BBK SSI looks pretty good for the price

Hi Guys,
I don’t expect any shops to give away all their dyno testing secrets and formulas for deck height, rod ratios, piston, rod, head combos etc. Of course the manufacturers should be publishing their dyno tests the way Professional Products does on their website of the typhoon vs the LS6 intake. The typhoon has been shown to give up some low and mid-range torque for some high RPM gain of 17.7 hp at 6200 RPM. Yes the trade-off has to be made on how much we are spending vs the expected performance gain. Especially in a boosted turbo motor because usually more hp can be had by simply adjusting the wastegate. For intake manifolds in “DYNO PROVEN GM LS1 THRU LS7 PERFORMANCE PARTS” by Richard Holdener the LS6, BBK SSI and Fast LSX intakes are all tested on mildly modified LS motors vs the LS1 intake. You can conclude from these dyno tests the BBK SSI looks pretty good vs the LS6. The BBK SSI improves HP and torque thru out the entire power-band or operating range a bit more than the LS6 intake over the LS1 Intake. Richard Holdener himself calls the BBK SSI intake a “serious challenger” to the fast LSX intake. The BBK SSI intake gains hp and torque thru the entire power band and has the performance of the fast intake at half the cost. The BBK SSI intake gained 27 hp and 22 ft lbs of torque at 6400 RPM over the LS1 intake. The fast LSX gained 20 hp and 18 ft lbs of torque over the LS1 intake at 6000 RPM. From 3000 to 3700 RPM the fast LSX dipped below the LS1 intake for hp and torque.
The BBK SSI and the fast LSX were tested on different motors with different heads and cams vs the LS1 intake. But you can see intake manifold power-band gain tendencies on each of these intakes and where they are strong and where they dip in performance in these dyno tests.
In my case I am starting out with a LQ4 with factory truck intake. So I will purchase a BBK SSI for the best bang for the buck. If I already had a motor with a LS6 intake, I would not buy an after-market intake for a my turbo motor. We have seen LS6 intakes go into the 8’s in the quarter on boosted motors. I love the looks of the edelbrock pro flo XT, but I am sure it will give up too much low and mid range torque on a fast, street/strip weekend car. Especially my 74 camaro that will weigh about 3300 lbs without me in it. For an all out drag race super light bodied car with good gears to get it out of the hole fast it would be fine.
Hpbob1
Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

I still say reading n/a tests when you are going to boost it...is a waste of time.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going with Edelbrock's ProFlo (my 2 cents lol).
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fireball
shawn is developing a special carb intake elbow that has alot of engineering to help distribution for my new motor...its so secret that I don't even know the details of what he's doing
Interested in this, if it will be offered to the public . . . .
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Default N/A tests vs boosted hp & torque curves

Hi Stevieturbo,

Richard Holdener who wrote "DYNO PROVERN GM LS1 THRU LS7 PERFORMANCE PARTS" and "DYNO PROVEN 5.0L PERFORMANCE FORD DYNO TESTS", racer, engine builder and writes numerous articles for hot rod and car craft and other magazines disagrees with you. He has run thousands of dyno tests on n/a and boosted motors back to back and states the intake and cam selected for the engine determines the powerband, hp and torque curves on a motor regardless of whether it is boosted or not. He has simply run thousands of dyno tests to come to this conclusion.

Hpbob1
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

cam of course will dictate power band. Intake...less so unless there is something extreme about the setup
Old 01-02-2011, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
cam of course will dictate power band. Intake...less so unless there is something extreme about the setup
Like a stock ls1 intake haha
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hpbob1 your numbers are incorrect. I suspect that the FAST being compared is a 78mm version in these dyno tests that you mentioned or are being conducted on a VERY mild LS1 motor that has no need to consume anymore air.. Please feel free to post the article for independent review.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

my junk is in a fox so i have a lot more room for a intake. edelbrocks proflo and some of the carb style. i have tfs heads and a stock 78mm ls1 tb and ls6 intake i know i can get more power with a new intake.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just bought a pro flo to replace my stock truck intake...i know it wont be the same as comparing it to a ls6 but it should still be interesting to see how much it picks up. Im wanting to bet around 30rwhp, we shall see

Quick Reply: Best intake for Forced Induction