Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Motovative Insta-Boost Quick Spool valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line is if you can't afford it fine but don't complain about the price of quality. You either get quality or you get budget. This was a sponsors post trying to help us out providing a quality part. He was met with mostly negative responses. How sad.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
Bottom line is if you can't afford it fine but don't complain about the price of quality. You either get quality or you get budget. This was a sponsors post trying to help us out providing a quality part. He was met with mostly negative responses. How sad.
agree, you guys still have the choice to not buy it. If you think it's too much, then what are you doing in an FI section. Pay to play and truth be told if I had a big single supra or something that is generally pretty laggy low end I'd look at getting one of these. Honestly it seems like it would be worth it to me for $500 to get a quality part from SP that has a great reputation.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you and SP selling $50 worth of product and an hour of time and try to rape everyone at $400 or $499. I can make it for $50 and I don't get commercial discounts on flanges and other parts. I could see a $200 price tag, but I like to be wined and dined before I get fu*ked.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IKnowtheFuture
Why are you and SP selling $50 worth of product and an hour of time and try to rape everyone at $400 or $499. I can make it for $50 and I don't get commercial discounts on flanges and other parts. I could see a $200 price tag, but I like to be wined and dined before I get fu*ked.
I would hope you are talking a apples to apples peice here? If so..for $50 your going to supply a nice looking spool valve, with actuator, built of the right meterials, with a warranty. Give me your paypal I would like to purchase one for testing.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so, he can build it for $50 and just a good actuator costs $80...tell me whats wrong here
Old 10-30-2011, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by IKnowtheFuture
You dont sound very smart.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
I'm so sick of the "budget build" threads. If you can't afford to do it right then get out of the forced induction forum. I would suggest the "appearance and detail" section. FI is not low budget!

FI doesn't mean you have to throw your money away. I have under 8k in my engine/Turbo setup. That includes 408 forged rotating assembly, 88mm t6 Turbo, and custom stainless headers/crossover/downpipe. If your not careful you could end up paying 30k for a setup like I have. Just have to be careful before you just hand money over. 500 is just a little too overpriced IMO.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to see before and after dyno results with a big turbo for the engine displacement.
If the results are there, $500 is still good bang for $$$ for a reliable ,quality peice that produces the goods.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It certainly doesn't cost $500 to make, not even $100 IMO. I could build the same thing for $50 as well, and I'm not the best fabricator on earth.

I'm currently designing one that uses a solenoid to actuate so I can control it with an arduino.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where do y'all get all these parts for $50, a good stainless t6 flange costs that almost
Old 10-31-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How good do these quick spool valves work? Are we talking like instant/PD blower boost response? Or just a quicker spool up? Im oblivious to qs-valves....
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
How good do these quick spool valves work? Are we talking like instant/PD blower boost response? Or just a quicker spool up? Im oblivious to qs-valves....
Pretty much faster spool means instant power down low and higher top end. It all depends on the setup and when the valve starts to open.

I am also trying to source parts to make one on my own. It is going to be interesting...
Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buick_lsx
Where do y'all get all these parts for $50, a good stainless t6 flange costs that almost
Call up your local water jet guy and send him some CAD drawings. You'd be surprised how inexpensive it is to get stuff like that made.

Remember, the guy making the turbo flanges are making pretty good margins from suckers like us too
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by killernoodle
Call up your local water jet guy and send him some CAD drawings. You'd be surprised how inexpensive it is to get stuff like that made.

Remember, the guy making the turbo flanges are making pretty good margins from suckers like us too
I totally agree....

I already priced a WG and SS T3 flange. Flange is only 1/2inch thick, but together they costs about $56. I only need to get a spare SS throttle shaft and some bronzed bearings of the same size. I have a pice of SS sheet metal that I can cut for a plate.

At the most it would cost me $100 in parts if that. With the simple DIY method for this piece and low costs, I seriously struggle to justify spending $450 to $500.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 3800SII
I totally agree....

I already priced a WG and SS T3 flange. Flange is only 1/2inch thick, but together they costs about $56. I only need to get a spare SS throttle shaft and some bronzed bearings of the same size. I have a pice of SS sheet metal that I can cut for a plate.

At the most it would cost me $100 in parts if that. With the simple DIY method for this piece and low costs, I seriously struggle to justify spending $450 to $500.
OH NO!!!! DIY = BUDGET! we cant have that! lol j/k
Old 10-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Why are no dyno GRAPHS up showing with and without. Sure would like to see what kind of a difference this thing makes.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 3800SII
I totally agree....

So I guess you tried to build your own car from scratch, because GM overcharge ?

People saying they can build their own for xyz are just plain clueless. Firstly about fabrication, and secondly about how business works.

Anyone could throw together a cheap piece of **** with second hand parts and hope it lasts a few months.

But for a business to design and make a piece from new components, pay all their overheads, source all parts etc through 100% legit means ( ie no backdoor parts ), all brand new parts and offer a warranty.
How the hell does anyone expect them to do that for peanuts ?

Catch a grip.

If everyone can do it so well and so cheaply, well you've just discovered a massive market. Get them made and get them sold. You'll be rich in no time.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So I guess you tried to build your own car from scratch, because GM overcharge ?

People saying they can build their own for xyz are just plain clueless. Firstly about fabrication, and secondly about how business works.

Anyone could throw together a cheap piece of **** with second hand parts and hope it lasts a few months.

But for a business to design and make a piece from new components, pay all their overheads, source all parts etc through 100% legit means ( ie no backdoor parts ), all brand new parts and offer a warranty.

Catch a grip.

If everyone can do it so well and so cheaply, well you've just discovered a massive market. Get them made and get them sold. You'll be rich in no time.
I don't think that you can compare these two events together. Not even on the same level... I wouldn't want to sell a copycat spool valve either. All I am saying is that any capable person can make their own if they wanted to. No way I could come up with the same quality as what they are selling, but I have enough knowledge to do it on the side for fun just to see how well it works. It is just for me alone. Heck, I already made a similar device using a second WG, so you can't tell me that I shouldn't try. If it is a POS then so be it...

More power to anyone that wants to shell out $500 to buy it. Once again in my opinion the unit is overpriced. You can leg hump SP and Motovative all you want.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is turning out to be a stupid argument/ discussion. If someone can build their own SV for a fraction of the cost that SP and Mototvative offer, than so be it. It can be done, post up pictures and results and be done with it.

Neither of these two parties have results other than, "yeah, it spools a million times faster." The only person that has ANY info/results from what I gather is Zombie. And he posted his results A LONG time ago.

DIY post results so people on here can see what a "$20" part can do.
SP and Motovative post in here with results to see what a $500-1k part does.

Simple enough?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

Catch a grip.

What are some other things that cost $500? Half of a turbo? An iPhone? A decent laptop? A pretty big TV? All of those things are several orders of magnitude more complicated to produce than a spool valve, which is just a flange, a butterfly plate, and a wastegate actuator, and all of those companies are making money too. I guarantee china will start putting decent ones on ebay as soon as they catch wind for like $20. LOL

All I'm saying is that for something so simple, they really are pricing themselves out of the market. Someone else is going to roll in under them and start selling these things for $100, then what is this company going to do?

Quick Reply: Motovative Insta-Boost Quick Spool valve