Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

convince me...SC or Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love ProChargers...probably because they are the under dogs. But if ultimate power is what you are trying to obtain - turbo is the way to go. I think both have their quirks with problems and maintenance. I mean - it's forced induction...you are going to have to work on it. Changing pullies is not a hard task - so I don't find it all that cumbersome. You could always pulley real small to max the blower out and run a wastegate on the charge pipe side to regulate from low boost to high boost - though it is sometimes debated that this can be hard on the blower.

I plan to stick with Procharger because I like it being a little different.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hawk584
" Due what you think you can afford "
haha problem is Im going to go big or not go at all.

If I go with a SC its going to be an F-1(maybe an A/C/R), 8-rib pulley, custom front mount intercooler and piping, BOV and supporting fuel system to include meth.
If I go the turbo route I will go with a custom truck mani hotside w/ ss crossover and downpipe (all ceramic coated), the wastegate will be dumped to the atmosphere, stand up the radiator w/ slim fans, custom front mount intercooler w/ piping, BOV, electronic boost controller and supporting fuel system to include meth. Both will be tuned by me using EFI Live.
All in all after doing some research and comparing the cost of both options I think I can actually build my own turbo kit cheaper...ultimately the car would be down longer with a turbo build due to fabricating my own hotside, standing up the radiator, etc...
Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 AM
9 Second Club

If or when I ever get into another FBody I think I'm going to go with a F1 setup due to the simplicity over the turbo. I think a F1 would be great on a 370CI. It would just be a weekend car though since I have a daily driver now.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bpope
I love ProChargers...probably because they are the under dogs. But if ultimate power is what you are trying to obtain - turbo is the way to go. I think both have their quirks with problems and maintenance. I mean - it's forced induction...you are going to have to work on it. Changing pullies is not a hard task - so I don't find it all that cumbersome. You could always pulley real small to max the blower out and run a wastegate on the charge pipe side to regulate from low boost to high boost - though it is sometimes debated that this can be hard on the blower.

I plan to stick with Procharger because I like it being a little different.
I think either way I go around here I will be a little different Dont see many F-bodies around here, let alone FI ones...mostly primered civics or neons with noisy rattle can exhausts. Maybe the occasional 'stang.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Ummm.. plenty of people running prochargers (and other centri SCs) on stock cranks well above 800 HP. I would not let that be a determining factor at all. I vote for SC for simplicity and maintainability.

Ive never had a turbo car, but I know lots of people who have, and it always seems they are chasing problems with the turbo system itself. I know there are a few issues that need attention with the SC system, but they seem to be far less complex IMHO.

+.02
You say that but you have been "ironing out" your car for quite some time.

Just sayin.....
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ries
I think either way I go around here I will be a little different Dont see many F-bodies around here, let alone FI ones...mostly primered civics or neons with noisy rattle can exhausts. Maybe the occasional 'stang.
LOL. OK I got you...It's like Turbo F-body captial of the world where I live. LOL. There are quite a few F-Bodies in my town and a lot of them on the bottle or Turbo.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

1.TURBO
2. TURBo
3. TURbo
4.TUrbo
5. Turbo
6. turbo
7. super charger

In that order
Old 01-02-2011, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Either or will be bad *** lol. It sounds like you have a decent Idea on what you want. Oh and a centri blower sounds more like a learjet at idle and a turbo at full throttle...no waaaaahhhh lol (thats a KB or Whipple lol) I vote for the F1A...it will net you your goals, a little easier to maintain and more time driving it without it being down. Now yes there are some very reliable turbo cars but all in all they suffer more down time. Drive the car and have fun with it.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:23 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

I have two supercharged 4th gen Camaros and both have been SC'd since 2002. One with a D1SC kit and one with a Vortech V9G with "aftercooler" kit. Both have been completely reliable with the exception of needing to upgrade the Procharger to an 8 rib pulley system due to belt slip (the Vortech came 8 rib from the start). They are nice weather only "weekend" cars, but the kits have been dead nuts reliable while I see my turbo friends constantly wrenching and tracking down bugs.

That having been said, I have to caveat my experience. I have another car that is my all-out track car, so I have not made either of these cars "max effort" builds. They mostly have the original kits on them from the manufacturers with some small tweaks and mods. It sounds like you are shooting for a definite higher power level than I have, and at that level an SC car might be as finicky and high maitenance as the turbo cars I have observed. For my purposes, I am extremely satisfied with my two SC cars.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TWS
I have two supercharged 4th gen Camaros and both have been SC'd since 2002. One with a D1SC kit and one with a Vortech V9G with "aftercooler" kit. Both have been completely reliable with the exception of needing to upgrade the Procharger to an 8 rib pulley system due to belt slip (the Vortech came 8 rib from the start). They are nice weather only "weekend" cars, but the kits have been dead nuts reliable while I see my turbo friends constantly wrenching and tracking down bugs.

That having been said, I have to caveat my experience. I have another car that is my all-out track car, so I have not made either of these cars "max effort" builds. They mostly have the original kits on them from the manufacturers with some small tweaks and mods. It sounds like you are shooting for a definite higher power level than I have, and at that level an SC car might be as finicky and high maitenance as the turbo cars I have observed. For my purposes, I am extremely satisfied with my two SC cars.
I know it will happen and expect issues to arise as with any high horspower car pushing its limits whether I go with a turbo or SC, I guess Id like to minimize potential problems with either kit and maintain some sort of reliability so I can actually enjoy the car when I drive it without worrying whether Im going to slip a belt, overboost, etc...
Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Anyone here ever regret putting either turbo or SC on their F-body? Or wish they would have gone SC instead of turbo or turbo instead of SC?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

My next project is a front mount car. I want to have one of each like inspector12. Pm him since he has a 900+ wheel F1R/408 and a 800+ wheel turbo 402. I'm sure he could chime in.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To tell you the truth thats one of the SC issues that is deterring me the most. I would hate to be running around and have a belt break. I never personally had any issues with any of my turbo setups except for the normal boost leak here and there but that is just as likely to happen with an SC setup. I guess you could also worry about exhaust leaks or manifold cracks if youre using tubular manifolds but I plan on a self-made truck mani kit if I go the turbo route.
I did the truck manifold kit myself. I don't mind the log style manifolds. I'm going for reliability. I agree, the only issues I've ever come across are boost leaks.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Teching In

The best thing about SCs is hearing the echo after you stab the throttle. Turbos are quiet and tame considering the massive power they can make. I would go turbo.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
I did the truck manifold kit myself. I don't mind the log style manifolds. I'm going for reliability. I agree, the only issues I've ever come across are boost leaks.
Im with you on the truck manis...reliability is a plus. They may not be the prettiest but they are proven time and time again. Unless I went with a kit from a known and reputable fabricator, which could end up costing a pretty penny, I would worry about tubular exhaust manifolds cracking over time. Ive seen it time and time again where normal heat cycling mixed with weather conditions/changes can be brutal on tubular manifolds. But since Id like to build my own kit (if I go the turbo route) I'll be going with truck manis
Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Random question Ries is ur Camaro black with CME and flip out stereo?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
My next project is a front mount car. I want to have one of each like inspector12. Pm him since he has a 900+ wheel F1R/408 and a 800+ wheel turbo 402. I'm sure he could chime in.
That turbo car of his made 800+ at 4500rpms I believe!

To the OP:Im partial to the procharger world because I have one lol. I have never installed a kit before and I did it all myself in the shop. Was really easy and simple as everybody has said in this thread. Wish I had the coin to upgrade to a F1 series blower. Im running a D1SC right now at 16 psi and the car made 780rwhp and it is a blast on the street with a 6 speed. Any route you take will be a good one. Ive been tempted to make my own truck manifold kit with a PT88, but we'll see.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djfury05
Random question Ries is ur Camaro black with CME and flip out stereo?
haha isnt that 90% of black camaros? But to answer your quiestion, yes to all of the above. Just installed the stereo a few weeks ago and made a custom bezel with 2 guages...one a wideband and one of which is an empty space waiting for a boost guage
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
That turbo car of his made 800+ at 4500rpms I believe!

To the OP:Im partial to the procharger world because I have one lol. I have never installed a kit before and I did it all myself in the shop. Was really easy and simple as everybody has said in this thread. Wish I had the coin to upgrade to a F1 series blower. Im running a D1SC right now at 16 psi and the car made 780rwhp and it is a blast on the street with a 6 speed. Any route you take will be a good one. Ive been tempted to make my own truck manifold kit with a PT88, but we'll see.
What gears are you running in your rearend? How much downtime was there from installing it yourself? Im assuming youre running an intercooler...you running meth? How are the iat on the really hot days?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

haha isnt that 90% of black camaros? But to answer your quiestion, yes to all of the above. Just installed the stereo a few weeks ago and made a custom bezel with 2 guages...one a wideband and one of which is an empty space waiting for a boost guage
Haha well reason I ask is because I've been to WTi twice now and seen a black camaro with cme both times and it was cammed and had cme and tinted windows and the flip out stereo.. figured it might be you so I asked.. drove around a lot in 1st and 2nd gear lettiing it whind out lol.. pretty loud car

Quick Reply: convince me...SC or Turbo