Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler question

I am looking to buy a new Camaro SS and I want to imediately throw a supercharger on the LS3 like a Magnuson. I was wondering is there a way to use a intercooler for these superchargers. I don't mean like the LS9/Edelbrock type intercooler, I was thinking more like a front mount. Also what is considered the best supercharger for these engines. I know there are several to choose from. Thanks Michael
Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Not that ive ever seen. there is simply not enough space 2 pipe in and out while fitting it all under the hood. If you want to run a FMIC then why dont you just go centrifugal ?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Do you guys realize you are talking about a front mount intercooler on a magnuson supercharger...... Might want to spend more time learning first.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirebirdSS
Do you guys realize you are talking about a front mount intercooler on a magnuson supercharger...... Might want to spend more time learning first.
I have done just that. I also realize I posted a stupid question since they come with "intercoolers." I know that FMIC are used for turbo/procharger but I was just curious. I now realize this. I also now realize how crapy the magnacharger and magnuson charger is compared to the whipple and kenne bell chargers. I think I am going to go with a whipple and see what happens.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about something like this?

http://www.automedia.com/Roots_Side-...ht20021101rb/1

Originally Posted by REAPER13
I am looking to buy a new Camaro SS and I want to imediately throw a supercharger on the LS3 like a Magnuson. I was wondering is there a way to use a intercooler for these superchargers. I don't mean like the LS9/Edelbrock type intercooler, I was thinking more like a front mount. Also what is considered the best supercharger for these engines. I know there are several to choose from. Thanks Michael
Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FastKat
Are you talking about something like this?

http://www.automedia.com/Roots_Side-...ht20021101rb/1
I originally was talking about a FMIC for a Roots charger. I then realized they have internal coolers and I am retracting my original question. I have decided to go with a whipple. I am looking for 600RWHP and this will get me there.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI twin screws also use an internal cooling system
Honestly why do you need a fmic the cooling systems that come with the kit work perfectly fine
Old 01-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Banned

Do you realize that when someone asks a question, they are actually trying to learn...? You could try giving an informative answer instead of being a smart ***... Some of us weren't born knowing these things.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

http://www.procharger.com/supercharger/blog/?p=211

Take a look at the above link, as you asked what is considered to be the best supercharger for these engines. Give me a call at 260 672-2076 for pricing much lower than what I can put into print for the systems available at the following link. http://shop.brutespeed.com/2010-11-C...stems_c644.htm If you call today (Sunday) leave a message and I'll call you back later today. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-30-2011, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
Do you realize that when someone asks a question, they are actually trying to learn...? You could try giving an informative answer instead of being a smart ***... Some of us weren't born knowing these things.
I was far from being a smart ***. The OP just needed to spend a little more time looking at the systems he presented, that was all. Looks to me he is on the right path now.

I have done just that. I also realize I posted a stupid question since they come with "intercoolers." I know that FMIC are used for turbo/procharger but I was just curious. I now realize this. I also now realize how crapy the magnacharger and magnuson charger is compared to the whipple and kenne bell chargers. I think I am going to go with a whipple and see what happens.
I will say this out of the three similar setup 500rwhp cars i have tunes/dynoed, a ls2 gto with a Magnacharger, a ls1 with a Magnacharger, and a ls1 vette with a Kenne Bell. I would take the Magnacharger any day over the Kenne Bell.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

I was far from being a smart ***. The OP just needed to spend a little more time looking at the systems he presented, that was all. Looks to me he is on the right path now.
Okie dokie. I learned something too. I'm not up on supercharger tech, I thought 'front mounted intercooler' meant the heat exchanger/radiator part, but because of this thread I went out and read up on it and now I see what it is too. So I learned my new fact for the day....
Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I now realize they are internally cooled like the LS9. Some of the reason for my question was because of the heat exchanger, but I did not do my reasearch until now. Like stated before I will be going with the Whipple on the stock engine to start out with. The exhaust will be upgraded to LT's and duals with cut outs. After I get bored with that setup I will most likely do a rebuild on the motor with accomidating mods else where of course.

I was looking at Mast Motorsports and their 416 LS3 is making 750hp on a TVS 2300. I have heard the Whipple can make up to 650RWHP on a completely stock car. So with a built FI motor and the Whipple 800rwhp should be acheivable.

I also have no intention on running a Procharger. I do not like the way they are set up on these cars and I will have the ZR1 style hood for when I am crusing and doing car shows. This way I will be able to show off the bling.

Quick Reply: Intercooler question