Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Using a FMIC on a TA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using a FMIC on a TA?

I know many use a fmic on a TA, however how many of you use a FMIC without removing the fog lights and firebird plate cover?

I would like to run a fmic set up but dont want to remove the lights and cover and was wondering how badly that would hurt the intercoolers performance and if anyone uses a fmic like this.

I will be buying a procharget set up soon and they released there fmic set up and I am trying to understand for my situation of not wanting to remove the cover and lights if the twin 4.5" is still my best option.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

maybe u should look into a different type of intercooling cuz its not going to work.Fmic and your gonna cover it up its useless it needs air flowing you have to make some sacrifices to the forced inductions god cant have it all.Maybe you can just spray it instead of fi
Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Not possible with an Fmic, you could try side mounts
Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe setup some type of thermostatic fan switch, when temperatures reach a certain point..itll trip the intercooler mounted fan to turn on and give you your airflow across the intercooler.

somthing along this?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-3653/
Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

A big fat intercooler peaking out of your bumper looks way cooler than lights or a plate filler anyway.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by evo462
A big fat intercooler peaking out of your bumper looks way cooler than lights or a plate filler anyway.
^^^what he said... before i cut the lisence plate cover...
Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guys have horizontal mounted front mounts and used an air dam to deflect air through the intercooler up from under the car

it is definitely possible, just gotta get creative

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...c-project.html
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

But how efficient is it compared to opening up that area?I bet it isnt at all if it was everyone would be doing it open her up and let her breath
Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

in factory configuration the radiator doesnt get any air from the front of the car and it is very efficient picking it up from the bottom. you can see from my sig pic the route i took, but theres always more than one way to get things done
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about say the APS twin turbo fmic? It mounts right behind the fogs/plate and folks are making stupid power with that kit. Maybe try to duplicate that intercooler mounting position and it'll keep the plate/fogs intact.

OR you can stick with the twin 4.5" intercoolers. Those are still pretty efficient, and could hold a fair amount of boost before you actually NEED a fmic. What are your goals for the engine setup?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Laid mine down flat too. Works pretty well, and flows more air than the twins.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
What about say the APS twin turbo fmic? It mounts right behind the fogs/plate and folks are making stupid power with that kit. Maybe try to duplicate that intercooler mounting position and it'll keep the plate/fogs intact.

OR you can stick with the twin 4.5" intercoolers. Those are still pretty efficient, and could hold a fair amount of boost before you actually NEED a fmic. What are your goals for the engine setup?
Pretty modest goals really since I wont be upgrading the bottome end anytime soon, the car will probably be at 8lbs for several years before I step it up.

I just thought I would feel this out, because I know I have seen members on here with fmic's that dont have the plate cover removed and I was wondering how that effected the performance of the system.

Ditching the fog lights isn't that big of a deal, but I dont want to remove the plate cover not only because I like the look of the bumper with the cover on it but also my state requires a front license plate and even though I dont use one it isn't as obvious as an intercooler showing the law that the car means business, LOL.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
in factory configuration the radiator doesnt get any air from the front of the car and it is very efficient picking it up from the bottom. you can see from my sig pic the route i took, but theres always more than one way to get things done
I do like the way your car looks in your sig. Real nice
Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...tains-air.html

This idea might work out for you.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I call BS on all opinions. It can be done and I did it.
I will pull up a picture for you.

BIG Front mount intercooler, fog lights still in use, intercooler is able to be covered up with the fill in (Good for car shows if you like)
Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 AM
On The Tree

I retract my previous statement. I be wrong
Old 02-05-2011, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

I could be wrong but I would bet it would still work damn good without removing the plate or lights if it was in the standard upright location that most do here. I feel there would be enough air swirling around it with the aid of the air dam. When I had a FMIC I retained the fog lights and had a mesh over the plate area, it worked very well and I don't think it would have hurt much if the plate cover was also there. Someone who has retained the lights should do test results with the plate cover and no plate cover to see the difference.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

The difference is air wouldn't pass through the intercooler.

You need some sort of ducting to have air pass through. Swirling would be less than efficient
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

I stand on my statement. The only way to prove me wrong would be before and after logging data. I agree that it would work better opened up but I don't think it would be the difference that some might think. Look at the third gen. Trans Am that have no air opening in front of the radiator, the air dam is what allows this design.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Yea which is why they lay the intercooler flat instead of straight up. I see no advantage of standing it up unless you are going to remove the spotlights or license plate section.

Quick Reply: Using a FMIC on a TA?