Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bye-bye bottle. Hello twins. LS Coupe refit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax4499
I think you will find that 2.5 is just about right from the collector to the t-4 flange. your running 3" down pipes out of the back of the TC-76's correct. if it's race only i would dump it.
I'll run whatever size I need for a max effort, but if my 3.5" exhaust system doesn't hurt power, or won't hurt it very much, I'd like the stealth of it... Your thoughts?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by madmax4499
that is going to be fun. im doing twin TC-70 65's
Nice... Do you have a build thread anywhere?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
9 Second Club

Nice looking build! I would say 2.5" collector on the headers and 2.5" pipe to the turbo's, then 3.5 Downpipes. Did you do you chassis work? Looks great!!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boosted One
Nice looking build! I would say 2.5" collector on the headers and 2.5" pipe to the turbo's, then 3.5 Downpipes. Did you do you chassis work? Looks great!!
Thanks for the scooby. And all the work was done in house. Here's all the build pics from day one. http://s581.photobucket.com/albums/s...la/LS%20Coupe/ (405 photos)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

what mufflers are those? straight thru? if so, **** ya. thats a very nice exhaust. a little heavy, but meh. IMO, you may think about an AL exhaust.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i also suggest you check out yb's turbo section. lots of hard core turbo stuff in there.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmracer
what mufflers are those? straight thru? if so, **** ya. thats a very nice exhaust. a little heavy, but meh. IMO, you may think about an AL exhaust.
They Dynomax mufflers and they go straight through with a divider thingy... Not sure what that does if anything.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

im sure those are fine.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some mock up ideas while I'm waiting on hot side parts. This is kinda where I'm going with this setup. Elbow towards the firewall (I'll either have to mill this elbow to get the bottom of the TB above the firewall seam of fab a new one)... I'll deal with that when the time comes. The air/water intercooler will mount on the floor where the passenger seat in now.

I'm also going to put a nitrous halo between the TB and the elbow. I'm might wanna use it off the trans brake to spool the turbos instead of building boost with the foot brake. I can turn it off after it's leaves... Just and idea for some local club and grudge races.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Subscribed.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are a few pics of my headers. I was not able to use the Stainless Works headers BUT that does not mean that you can't use them for your turbo LS Fox body build. The only reason I could not use them is because I'm using a taller ETP heads (It's .750" taller than a production head) and I'm using a taller valve cover (because I'm using Jesel J2K rocker arms) You can use the Stainless Works headers with taller aftermarket heads or taller valve covers... Just not both at the same time. The "up and forward" F-body headers will not clear. If you have any other questions about using F-body Stainless Works headers on a Fox Body mustang, you can post your questions here, or send me a PM... I'll be happy to help.

I should have some mock up pics of the Stainless Works headers in my old camera. I'll post them up as soon as I can get them downloaded.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So are you going to build your own set of headers then? Sucks those SW arent going to work out for you.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
So are you going to build your own set of headers then? Sucks those SW arent going to work out for you.
Yes. The headers in the above pictures are mine. The SW headers did not fit for the reasons I listed, but they can work with stock valves covers or standard height heads... That's the main point. I wanted folks to know that you can buy the Stainless Works headers for your Foxbody Mustang (if you remember there are limitations)... Trust me, it's a lot easier/cheaper to buy mass produced headers than to do what I did above. The parts and labor for custom headers does/will exceed the cost of the Stainless Works headers.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Looks great buddy.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just saw this thread and I like it! the reason i say that is im not trying to rain on your parade but the area of each collector after the 4 pipes have combined where the pipe necks down at that angle, not optimal. it needs a smoother blend, having a (mostly) flat ring around the pipe in such a fashion will cause a section of extreme turbulence in the flow.

I suggest you saw the collector off just upstream of that area and use a "cone" or "megaphone" pipe instead. it will weld on at whatever diameter you need and very smoothly taper down to the desired diameter.

ps, you did an awesome job building those header regardless
Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
I just saw this thread and I like it! the reason i say that is im not trying to rain on your parade but the area of each collector after the 4 pipes have combined where the pipe necks down at that angle, not optimal. it needs a smoother blend, having a (mostly) flat ring around the pipe in such a fashion will cause a section of extreme turbulence in the flow.

I suggest you saw the collector off just upstream of that area and use a "cone" or "megaphone" pipe instead. it will weld on at whatever diameter you need and very smoothly taper down to the desired diameter.

Thanks. But I'm going to try them as is for now. One reason is I'm not going to be using twins any longer... Due to packaging issues, I decided to go with a larger frame single for the car. I did not want to give up the dry sump, alternator and my very street friendly twin fan radiator. So when I add the tubing off those collectors, the air will have a chance to straighten out by the tine it hits the exhaust housing of the turbo... So I think it will be OK. But time and testing will prove me a hero or zero.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSmonster
Thanks. But I'm going to try them as is for now. One reason is I'm not going to be using twins any longer... Due to packaging issues, I decided to go with a larger frame single for the car. I did not want to give up the dry sump, alternator and my very street friendly twin fan radiator. So when I add the tubing off those collectors, the air will have a chance to straighten out by the tine it hits the exhaust housing of the turbo... So I think it will be OK. But time and testing will prove me a hero or zero.
ahh ok gotcha. Im gonna steal that saying ......
Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

very nice work so far and I'm sure it's going to be sick when completed
Old 06-13-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen

I used the same collectors on my last build and make plenty of steam with them

Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would use the collectors, in-fact where did you get them?

Quick Reply: Bye-bye bottle. Hello twins. LS Coupe refit.