Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bye-bye bottle. Hello twins. LS Coupe refit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bye-bye bottle. Hello twins. LS Coupe refit.

Nitrous Setup... Been there, done that. Now it's time for something new. Below is a pic as it sits today. And here's the original build thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...e-project.html Tonight I will start to pull everything out for the installation of a couple of Turbonetics TC76 ball bearing turbos, air-water intercooler and fuel injection. The engine platform will remain the same; LS based engine. But I'll swap out the stock L92 block for a ERL Performance piece with a little bit bigger bore. I'll also take some of the stroke out, so the CID will pretty much remain the same. Somewhere around 416 inches. I'm also thinking about switching from race gas to E85 but that's not cast in stone. And I'm posting this refit in the section instead of the conversions and hybrids section because I'm going to rely on some of the venders in here for parts and advice. Wish me luck!

More later.

Last edited by LSmonster; 06-12-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will be sick for sure! Looking forward to this bad *** build
Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its still going to be slow cause its a mustang.

make sure you update us with plenty of pictures and good luck.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outta be interesting. Good luck sir and post plenty of pics.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys! The engine is out (motor plates make it quick) and I'll be tearing it down the engine tomorrow. Then the block will be boxed up and sent to ERL for modification. Current lead time on that is about 6 weeks. But I have a junk LS7 block and some stock heads I can use to mock up the headers... I'll probably start playing with that later in the week.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks sick, can't wait to see some progress
Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Out with the old and time to build the new. TC76 BB turbos. Callies Magnum crank, 3.900" stroke. And I have a set of Carillo rods and a set of the new Callies Ultra rods I got for another project. They are both good rods, but the new Callies rods are the best looking LS rod I've seen yet... Which is why I'll probably save them for the other motor. It will see a little more boost than this engine.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool, I remember following the previous setup's build.

Should be able to pass in traffic with this new setup.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to see the project coming along. Those TC's will rock that combo....
Old 04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Looking to get your hands on some of that DRadial money!! Your a sick man.

I've gotten a lot of complements on the cage you built for me. FRE
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smo's04Gto
Looking to get your hands on some of that DRadial money!! Your a sick man.

I've gotten a lot of complements on the cage you built for me. FRE
Thanks! And I have no idea what this thing will do but it will be fun putting it together. My "goal" is to run a 7.50 with it on drag radials... but talk is easy.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

i wish i could see the reciept for all those fittings/braided lines!!!! i bet theres at least $2k in just fittings and lines..lol
Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the junker mock up block and head set up for headers and turbo locating. I had planned on making the headers, but today I got to thinking about the turbo headers that Stainless Works makes for the F-body and I think they just might work.

So I called SW today and talked to Anthony about it. He was kind enough to send me some pics and after looking at them, I truly think they will fit. I'll have to get a set to be sure, and I'm not sure which ones will work the best (They make upper and lower mount headers)... So I might have to try both sets. BUT if they work, it will sure speed up the process. It's a lot of work to build custom headers and if I can save some time and aggravation... Hey, I'm not too proud to buy something that someone else has already figured out. And this will good for the other do-it-yourself folks that are thinking about putting twins on their Fox Body car. Having all the shelf headers is half the battle for a project like this...

Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

theres definitly way more room in a fox, especially in regards to up and forward headers. the shock towers are more cambered out than in. what're you planning for fuel management?

i also was following the prev. build and was thinking "he's gonna wanna change it later..." hahaha.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmracer
theres definitly way more room in a fox, especially in regards to up and forward headers. the shock towers are more cambered out than in. what're you planning for fuel management?

i also was following the prev. build and was thinking "he's gonna wanna change it later..." hahaha.
LOL... I hear that from a lot of people, especially my wife. She has heard more than once, "honey, I just need this one more thing and I'll be done."... She just> ; Go figure, eh?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

that is going to be fun. im doing twin TC-70 65's
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I need some hot side plumbing advice. What size tubing do you turbo pros think will be best for my set up for the hot side (from the collectors to the turbos) The turbos have a T4 flange. If I had to guess, I'll probably mount the turbos a foot or so from the end of the header collectors. The motor is around 415" inch with a max RPM (redline) of about 8500. I'll probably shift it at 8000 RPM. Based on things I've read here and other places, it looks like I should use something between 2 & 2.5" The primary tubing on the headers will be 1 3/4" And advice would be appreciated.

I would also like an opinion on using my current 3.5" exhaust system. Do you think it will hurt performance if I run the exhaust out of my turbos and connect it to the system I have now? Or should I just dump it out the fenders somewhere or just behind the motor towards the ground?

Old 04-08-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you will find that 2.5 is just about right from the collector to the t-4 flange. your running 3" down pipes out of the back of the TC-76's correct. if it's race only i would dump it.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Good to see the project coming along. Those TC's will rock that combo....
I hope so... And do you have or do that make a ALU v-band ring I can weld onto these turbos? I don't want to use hoses anywhere on this system. They are pretty small, and I have not found anything that size, yet... Or do you sell the housing with V-band rings already installed? Maybe the TC78 housing?

Quick Reply: Bye-bye bottle. Hello twins. LS Coupe refit.