Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bye-bye bottle. Hello twins. LS Coupe refit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1PUNK
**** tease.
Originally Posted by LS1PUNK
Just flipping ya **** man.

Cant wait to see what it can do power/track wise.
Im not, lol. I wanna see some numbers
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoulda put the skinnies on the back and got some numbers!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me get some new tires back on it and make some full pulls. I want it to be all it can be before I bore you guys with assumptions. But I will tell ya this, I already beat the old dyno record and I just got started.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was having some issues with the Holley DIS coils... Well here is my fix. Eliminate the need for them. I should have this setup on my motor by next week. Going with a MSD box (Digital 7 Plus with a HVC II coil)

FYI, I could not mount the Jesel distributor forward because of clearance issues with the turbo. So I made this bracket to rotate the head 180 degrees. All the plug wire clear the valley plate and there are spacers behind the mounting bracket to simulate the Jesel belt drive cam cover... Everything will make more sense when you see everything mounted on the engine with everything in place.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the specs on the turbo?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cam72aro
what are the specs on the turbo?
pt-106 (1.32 a/r)
Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to the dyno numbers.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No dyno numbers, but I did take it to the track today.

It will not build any boost at the line. Converter WAY to tight. Hell, it won't fall out of a freakin' tree for the first couple hunderd feet. My 60' times were in the 1.8's!!!! BUT... When the boost does kick in, WOW!!! With about 7 lbs of boost, it ran 161MPH!!! on a 10.10 second pass!!!...
Old 05-06-2012, 06:33 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LSmonster
No dyno numbers, but I did take it to the track today.

It will not build any boost at the line. Converter WAY to tight. Hell, it won't fall out of a freakin' tree for the first couple hunderd feet. My 60' times were in the 1.8's!!!! BUT... When the boost does kick in, WOW!!! With about 7 lbs of boost, it ran 161MPH!!! on a 10.10 second pass!!!...
I was in the same boat 3 years ago.....

Is the A/F 12.5-13.0 during spool up?
Have you bumped the timing during spool up to 36-40 degrees?
Have you advanced the cam 4-6 degrees?
Will the car go to 3300 rpms on the transbrake?
Do you have a 1.32 housing on the turbo?
What tranny fluid do you have in it?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I was in the same boat 3 years ago.....
Hey Phil,

Here is what I have.

Is the A/F 12.5-13.0 during spool up?
14.0 A/F during spool
Have you bumped the timing during spool up to 36-40 degrees?
Timing fixed @ 32. Pull timing during boost (No boost at the line)
Have you advanced the cam 4-6 degrees?
It is advanced 4 degrees now
Will the car go to 3300 rpms on the transbrake?
No. It will not even go to 3000 RPM on foot or trans brake
Do you have a 1.32 housing on the turbo?
Yes. 1.32 housing
What tranny fluid do you have in it?
Redline
Old 05-06-2012, 07:16 PM
7 Second Club

14.0 is alittle lean, motor wont make as much torque, maybe try bump the timing up to 38-40, add some fuel shooting for 12.5, advance the cam another 2-4 degrees. Is it a BS3, if so do you want to send a log file?

Who's converter?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

14.0 is alittle lean, motor wont make as much torque, maybe try bump the timing up to 38-40, add some fuel shooting for 12.5, advance the cam another 2-4 degrees. Is it a BS3, if so do you want to send a log file?

Who's converter?
I thought "lean and mean" was what you wanted when trying to build boost off the line... But I can pull it down if you think it would help.

No problem on the cam advance.

And I'm using the Holley Dominator EFI for the fuel, and a MSD 7535 Digital 7 box and a Jesel belt drive distribitor for the spark.

Converter is a Neal Chance bolt togerter 10" with a stage 3 stator. I have a stag 4 stator I can throw at it too... Which I think I will.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM
7 Second Club

I thought "lean and mean" was what you wanted when trying to build boost off the line... But I can pull it down if you think it would help.

No problem on the cam advance.

And I'm using the Holley Dominator EFI for the fuel, and a MSD 7535 Digital 7 box and a Jesel belt drive distribitor for the spark.

Converter is a Neal Chance bolt togerter 10" with a stage 3 stator. I have a stag 4 stator I can throw at it too... Which I think I will.
That is the exact same converter I had. Started the same way as you. Stage 3 full tight. I can tell you that your combo(427" right?) will spool that converter no question. That is the same converter I sold to Andreas because I needed a tighter converter than the 10"/stage 3 combo on the 438".
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is the exact same converter I had. Started the same way as you. Stage 3 full tight. I can tell you that your combo(427" right?) will spool that converter no question. That is the same converter I sold to Andreas because I needed a tighter converter than the 10"/stage 3 combo on the 438".
Good to hear... I have a 421" motor so we're close.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:05 PM
7 Second Club

I would try those changes 1st. If they dont work, I would loosen it 2 shims, that will gain you 200 rpms. I think the air/fuel will gain alittle, advancing the cam alittle, more timing will gain alittle, add all those little changes will get you to 3200-3300 and the turbo will light off. At the end of the day I bet you will be in the stage 3 stator with 2 shims loose.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would try those changes 1st. If they dont work, I would loosen it 2 shims, that will gain you 200 rpms. I think the air/fuel will gain alittle, advancing the cam alittle, more timing will gain alittle, add all those little changes will get you to 3200-3300 and the turbo will light off. At the end of the day I bet you will be in the stage 3 stator with 2 shims loose.
I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help, Phil!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is some in car videos. No full passes because it was breaking up at high(er) RPM and boost. You really can't hear it in the video, but when I lift off the gas, that's when it starts to break up. I even tried getting back into it a few times but it would always break up again.

It stalls better now, (thanks, Phil) but still no boost on the brake. But I think I'll get there now with a little more timing and employ the 2 and 3 step. I had the steps it set at 4K but it never hit it either one. But I did not want to mess with that this outing because of the engine miss.

As for the engine miss. I pretty much nailed it down to spark plug gap. It was building more boost than I thought and I had the plugs gapped at .030/.032... And I think it was blowing them out. I was no where near my 8500 RPM shift point but the boost was up around 25 PSI on a few passes and that's when it would start missing. I'm also going to up my spring pressure a little too... That could have been a contributing factor so I'm going to put another 50 lbs on the seat. Plugs will be gapped at .020"

As I said about, I'm going to start putting more timing in it at the time and more total timing too. Plugs looked fine but there were no timing marks on the strap. At the line, I was at 35* until it stated pulling it fast after 3 lbs of boost. Total timing at Max boost was 10* <That's pretty low so I'm sure putting some timing there will help things too... Wish me luck.

PS: It's freakin' hot here now (Arizona) so I won't be testing this thing again until the Fall. I "might" take it to the LSX Fest in Kentucky but that will depend on if I can spare the time to go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv8a8...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-19-2012, 04:34 PM
7 Second Club

With an MSD8 plus box, I gapped my plugs at .018 sometimes .016

What was the A/F and timing when you were staging, WOT on the brake?

You might want to split the shims in the converter 2 and 2.

Here is some in car videos. No full passes because it was breaking up at high(er) RPM and boost. You really can't hear it in the video, but when I lift off the gas, that's when it starts to break up. I even tried getting back into it a few times but it would always break up again.

It stalls better now, (thanks, Phil) but still no boost on the brake. But I think I'll get there now with a little more timing and employ the 2 and 3 step. I had the steps it set at 4K but it never hit it either one. But I did not want to mess with that this outing because of the engine miss.

As for the engine miss. I pretty much nailed it down to spark plug gap. It was building more boost than I thought and I had the plugs gapped at .030/.032... And I think it was blowing them out. I was no where near my 8500 RPM shift point but the boost was up around 25 PSI on a few passes and that's when it would start missing. I'm also going to up my spring pressure a little too... That could have been a contributing factor so I'm going to put another 50 lbs on the seat. Plugs will be gapped at .020"

As I said about, I'm going to start putting more timing in it at the time and more total timing too. Plugs looked fine but there were no timing marks on the strap. At the line, I was at 35* until it stated pulling it fast after 3 lbs of boost. Total timing at Max boost was 10* <That's pretty low so I'm sure putting some timing there will help things too... Wish me luck.

PS: It's freakin' hot here now (Arizona) so I won't be testing this thing again until the Fall. I "might" take it to the LSX Fest in Kentucky but that will depend on if I can spare the time to go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv8a8...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-19-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With an MSD8 plus box, I gapped my plugs at .018 sometimes .016

What was the A/F and timing when you were staging, WOT on the brake?

You might want to split the shims in the converter 2 and 2.
I was @ 12.5 A/F WOT on the brake. And I "think" bumping the timing up to around 40* on the brake it might light the turbo... I think it's very close now.

I can't wait to see what this thing is gonna do when I can put some power at the tree and off the line... Even those shitty short shifting runs and slow speed for the first couple hunderd feet, I still went 132 MPH in the 1/8...
Old 05-19-2012, 05:11 PM
7 Second Club

I was @ 12.5 A/F WOT on the brake. And I "think" bumping the timing up to around 40* on the brake it might light the turbo... I think it's very close now.

I can't wait to see what this thing is gonna do when I can put some power at the tree and off the line... Even those shitty short shifting runs and slow speed for the first couple hunderd feet, I still went 132 MPH in the 1/8...
38-40 degrees will help, especially with a low CR motor
Wrap all the pipes
blanket on the turbo
make sure your IC pipes are sealed
check BOV for leakage

Just to make sure....
1 3/4" headers?
2.5" crossover?
1.32 g-trim?

Quick Reply: Bye-bye bottle. Hello twins. LS Coupe refit.