Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Piecing together procharger set up. Any help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Piecing together procharger set up. Any help appreciated

So i am piecing together a procharger kit. So far i have the D1SC head unit, And a dual intercooler set up, And injectors, I also have a racetronix fuel pump installed, Will this be enough for the fuel pump? Or should i be adding a booster to it?

Aslo as far as i know. I need an inlet hat? What exactly is an inlet hat? is it just the piping for the air filter or is it the air filter? Well i need booth. Unless i can make the one i getting with the head unit work. Witch came off a cobra. And it is reverse rotation. And i know im going to have to switch the location of the oil slinger. "thanks to bob"

Also, Im thinking i may want or need, The radiator plate, And Radiator fan, Also thinking about going with SDCE j bracket. and know im going to need 8 rib crank pulley, and crank pulley, As im assuming im going to need an ati balancer as well? the prochager i have coming is coming with a head unit pulley, but way to small, 3.20 8 rib, and a also gave me a 4.0 6 rib. but that i guess ill just sell. Im thinking im going to need around a 4.24-4.5??
im on a stock motor, It dose have full exhaust, I would like to get as much as i can out of it. While keeping it safe tell i save money for a forged bottom end, Also i guess ill need a boost gauge as well. and of course belts and tune. Other then that? anything else anyone would recommend?

Or if anyone has any of these parts just laying around and wouldn't mind getting them off there hands, let me know.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wide band, for sure! Its just handy to have to make sure everything is going ok. The fuel pump and a wiring kit should be ok if you keep the boost low as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Wide band, for sure! Its just handy to have to make sure everything is going ok. The fuel pump and a wiring kit should be ok if you keep the boost low as well.
Thanks! Actually i just installed a lc-1 wide band about a week ago. Though thinking i should get an actually gauge for it as well. I have a EFIlive program or could hook it up to my computer. but im thinking AFR gauge is one i should have, that and boost, And im thinking trans temp? or is there something more important then that? IM looking to buy a pillar with 3 gauges. so
Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

you will need a hat and a filter,talk to bob and he can hook you up if you cant make that one work

ati balancer is highly recomended(make sure you get the one for the supercharger) and a crank pinning kit would also be my suggestion

the fuel pump might be okay but you wont be able to go real far with it

you have to have the single fan setup because of the head unit(but you can add a small one in or pushers on front)

gauges(the more things you can keep an eye on the better)

methanol wouldnt be a bad idea either

do lots of research on here and let me know what you want for that 3.2 8 rib pulley

what is the temp. like in your area on a hot day ?

Last edited by speedcrazy2; 04-11-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedcrazy2
you will need a hat and a filter,talk to bob and he can hook you up if you cant make that one work

ati balancer is highly recomended(make sure you get the one for the supercharger) and a crank pinning kit would also be my suggestion

the fuel pump might be okay but you wont be able to go real far with it

you have to have the single fan setup because of the head unit(but you can add a small one in or pushers on front)

gauges(the more things you can keep an eye on the better)

do lots of research on here and let me know what you want for that 3.2 8 rib pulley

what is the temp. like in your area on a hot day ?
Well where i live. Its usually slow 80s all year long. I'm in Hawaii, So the temp is pretty constant. every once in a blue moon we can get to 90 in the summer, but usually only happens a couple time a year if that. As for the pulley, Ill let you know as soon as i actually get it here. And take a look at it and is in hand. I have not revived it as of yet. But was mailed off with the head unit as of today priority mail.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I would definitely get the hot wire kit and run the 4.25 pulley for now. If you can swing a meth kit then you should install one of those as well. Look at Asters bracket, you might like it a little more.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by speedcrazy2
Thanks!

http://shop.brutespeed.com/98-02-F-Body_c181.htm

I sell most of the piece parts required to put these kits together at the above link. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't already have a bracket, you may as well get Aster's over SDCE's. Bob sells that too
Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
If you don't already have a bracket, you may as well get Aster's over SDCE's. Bob sells that too
Thanks, I agree! Bob

Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Thanks, I agree! Bob
With the bracket i also got to switch out my water pump right? Dose that add up cost? i have been also thinking about that bracket as well. Also another thing i was a bit curious about. Is seeing that people complaining about flex? Not that im sure i have to worry to much about it since im only running low boost for now. But rather build it up strong then go back latter if and when i deiced i want to up the boost. I seen Steal j brackets. And also noticed that SDCE had a brave they put in to stiffen it? Is this something i should worry about?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes there is a little added cost with swapping the water pump, but when you consider the price of the SDCE plus the cost of a new J bracket to ship them to modify you still come out ahead for an 8 rib system I think with my setup.

I have approached potential flex issues with an added bolt mounting for the blower, and more material on the bracket. I have a few users maxing out D1SC head units without having a problem with bracket flex.

The little pices such as fan shroud, radiator hold down, inlet hat for the blower you can get from Bob, along with my bracket system. I would recommend skipping the Procharger 16" fan and getting a Spal paddle fan, part # 30102082, it is much better at moving air than the one supplied in the Procharger kits. Never had my car over heat when the fan was working.

As far as your fuel pump is concerned, what are your current goals for power? The Racetronix single pump usually only good for somewhere around 550ish hp. Sometimes a little more, but not much.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aster
Yes there is a little added cost with swapping the water pump, but when you consider the price of the SDCE plus the cost of a new J bracket to ship them to modify you still come out ahead for an 8 rib system I think with my setup.

I have approached potential flex issues with an added bolt mounting for the blower, and more material on the bracket. I have a few users maxing out D1SC head units without having a problem with bracket flex.

The little pices such as fan shroud, radiator hold down, inlet hat for the blower you can get from Bob, along with my bracket system. I would recommend skipping the Procharger 16" fan and getting a Spal paddle fan, part # 30102082, it is much better at moving air than the one supplied in the Procharger kits. Never had my car over heat when the fan was working.

As far as your fuel pump is concerned, what are your current goals for power? The Racetronix single pump usually only good for somewhere around 550ish hp. Sometimes a little more, but not much.
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I might end up just getting it all from bob. but i have a week or two before i have enough cash to buy it all. And since im living in Hawaii. I like to order it all at one time to cut on shipping cost if i do go that route, So i figure i would keep my eyes open just in case someone has one laying around that would like to sell. Got to try and get the best deal you can now in days you know. I picked up my inter cooler setup. And Dsc1 i believe for a decent price. Or at least i think..
But as soon as i have funds in a week or two that ill be placing an order with bob for all the remaining parts i need. As for your bracket. I might just end up going that route now. I think you have me convinced

As for my goals. Im thinking the pump will bed good tell deiced to build up a motor for the boost. Im planning on as much boost as i safely can on a stock motor. And while im doing that. just keep my eyes open for parts to build the motor. Probably be 6 months to a year tell i actually get the rest of the parts together. And then go from there. Well that the plan at least.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you dont have the bracket already definitly do it right the first time and get the Aster bracket.

Also if you dont have the pipping already for the twins, i would sell the twins and go with a front mount. and get the better SPAL fan besides the procharger fan.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would also download the procharger manual from bob. i think he still has it on his website. by carefully reading through the manual you can see what parts you have and which parts you still need to get. it can be difficult to piece a procharger kit together unless you have experience installing them. i was constantly finding new parts that i didn't have and i didn't know that i needed. the slight cost savings was not worth the hassle in my opinion. good luck!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by youngrigo
If you dont have the bracket already definitly do it right the first time and get the Aster bracket.

Also if you dont have the pipping already for the twins, i would sell the twins and go with a front mount. and get the better SPAL fan besides the procharger fan.
I thought about the front mount, But everyone who has that looks like they cut away there bumper and or loses there fogs. Witch looks good if done right. But could not find it in my self to do it. Not yet. I actually picked up the twins with the piping all the way from the procharger, To the throttle body and all hardware. with the Polished plenum, for 500 shipped to my door in Hawaii. I figured that wasn't a bad price? And i definitely will get the better fans for sure.

Originally Posted by cals400ex
i would also download the procharger manual from bob. i think he still has it on his website. by carefully reading through the manual you can see what parts you have and which parts you still need to get. it can be difficult to piece a procharger kit together unless you have experience installing them. i was constantly finding new parts that i didn't have and i didn't know that i needed. the slight cost savings was not worth the hassle in my opinion. good luck!
Personally i enjoy piecing it together. Ill get the exact system i want this way. Maybe ill feel different when im done. But i don't see it being that many parts.
Please correct me if im wrong. But if i have the intercooler and all the pipping for it. And the bov on it as well. Actually i have two of them. One came with the head unit i bought was well. And the head unit. I just have to pick up, Inlet hat, filter, And actually i have a filter that came with the unit that ill try, i got to get the balance and the crank pulley and a pin kit. And then the radiation fans and bracket, And then the right pulley on the head unit. and the Aster bracket, and a belt. But really what more is there besides this? Besieds tune and injectors. Witch i also already bought. well injectors any ways. The guy who sold me the head unit sold me some for an extra 200$ some Sieman deka 60lb, Witch under 5k miles on it. same as the D1SC i bought off of him.
But then again this is why i made this thread. Because i am totally new to this. And i could be totally wrong. And missing things. But fear none because all the help i get from everyone here. And just reading post of previous people
Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by FlipediS
Personally i enjoy piecing it together. Ill get the exact system i want this way. Maybe ill feel different when im done. But i don't see it being that many parts.
Please correct me if im wrong. But if i have the intercooler and all the pipping for it. And the bov on it as well. Actually i have two of them. One came with the head unit i bought was well. And the head unit. I just have to pick up, Inlet hat, filter, And actually i have a filter that came with the unit that ill try, i got to get the balance and the crank pulley and a pin kit. And then the radiation fans and bracket, And then the right pulley on the head unit. and the Aster bracket, and a belt. But really what more is there besides this? Besieds tune and injectors. Witch i also already bought. well injectors any ways. The guy who sold me the head unit sold me some for an extra 200$ some Sieman deka 60lb, Witch under 5k miles on it. same as the D1SC i bought off of him.
But then again this is why i made this thread. Because i am totally new to this. And i could be totally wrong. And missing things. But fear none because all the help i get from everyone here. And just reading post of previous people
http://www.ls1.com/ed/procharger_owners_manual.pdf

Here is an older copy of the LS1 F Body ProCharger installation instructions. The 8 rib balancer used these days is a 918853 part number, and disregard the fmu (fuel management unit) installation. Bob

Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You may be better off piecing it together. I thought I had all of the pipes/plumbing, but I didn't. I was missing one part here and there. I didn't realize it until I needed to install the part, and then I didn't have it. It isn't a huge deal. Maybe I am too impatient. haha.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cals400ex
You may be better off piecing it together. I thought I had all of the pipes/plumbing, but I didn't. I was missing one part here and there. I didn't realize it until I needed to install the part, and then I didn't have it. It isn't a huge deal. Maybe I am too impatient. haha.
HAHA, I know what you mean though. Im inpatient. As unfortunately the inter cooler setup was sent out parcel post mail And that is going to take about 30 days usually to reach Hawaii. So im a bit bummed about that. But i seen plenty of pictures of everything he has. and it is the complete piping, but im positive towards the end when im putting it together then i realize. O Wait i need this! ill be putting my foot in my mouth wishing i already had it. lol, But its a fun learning experiences.

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
http://www.ls1.com/ed/procharger_owners_manual.pdf

Here is an older copy of the LS1 F Body ProCharger installation instructions. The 8 rib balancer used these days is a 918853 part number, and disregard the fmu (fuel management unit) installation. Bob
THANKS! you are great help! cant thank you enough.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FlipediS
THANKS! you are great help! cant thank you enough.
You're welcome, thanks! Bob

Old 04-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

So my build might be put off a bit longer. I thought i was getting money back this year on taxes, And found out last week i owe. OUCH! So in the mean time, If anyone has a part or two they want to sell ill keep piecing it together. Until i have the money to buy the rest from bob.

Quick Reply: Piecing together procharger set up. Any help appreciated