Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

98 Camaro Z28 Twin Turbo 427 ERL LS2 Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey micheal, did you put your order in for a sheet metal intake yet? If not, can you fit an edelbrock pro flo? There is also an interesting thread on yellowbullet if you get the chance. Talk to you soon, tracy
Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbreaux
LS Monster, I would be interested to see as well. From talking to John Marcella, the issue has to do with the intake elbow directing flow directly towards the rear cylinders. Of course, this is probably magnified in a boosted application. However, even with the car style TB, you would have to elbow the compressed air flow so I am not sure. If the Tb is facing rear, like some do when placing the intercooler inside the car, then I believe the front cylinders get all the air. John said it is extremely bad. On a bench flow, the rear cylinders air flow could knowck a brick off the table and the front cylinders could barely blow out a candle. He gave the the percentage of differences in air flow. The unfortunate issue is that if you want John to build you an intake, you better be prepared to put down a deposit and wait a while. I'm not going to say how long, but it takes a while. He is very busy, but has all the time to talk to you. Great guy! You could go with a Beck intake. I am thinking about it. It would take a fraction of the time. If I go with John, which I am most likely going to do, I will place a 2" carb spacer underneath my intake. That is my own idea to try to get the air some more time to direct down and not at an angle towards the back. It is only $50 from WIlson Manifolds along with some longer carb studs. Hell, I may even try to add another inch or two and make it 3 or 4". I think I'll have the room. John told me how to adjust the injectors to compensate and now burn up the pistons for now. I may put EGT probes on each clyinder to keep a data log of the temp also. It will be a while before getting the Marcella intake. I guess the positive thing about the time it takes is it gives you time to pay slowly each montha nd get it paid off. That is beneficial for those who can't smack down the entire amount all at once, like me.
Thanks for the reply and the information. But there is no way I can wait that long for an intake. Even going with a Wilson sheet metal manifold, which is just as good as anything out there, I just can't justify the cost, much less the wait. I'm trying to get the car done for the LSX fest in September and there's a ton of work left to be done... I don't even have my block yet.

I ordered a Mast Motorsports intake this week and it will be at my door on Monday... That I can deal with. (Thanks Cary/Chris) And sure, it will have some issues with using an elbow on a boosted application, but I "think" I have a fix for that. It's sorta radical idea, due to my packaging limitations... But of it works, I'll be into this setup for about half the cost of a Wilson or Marcella intake... Because my labor is free.

Last edited by LSmonster; 06-25-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I run a Beck intake, no problems so far.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Default CFE Intake

What Does anyone think about the CFE intake inregards to the issues that people are having with the carb style intake for a boosted applicaation
Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
I run a Beck intake, no problems so far.
Your e.t. speaks volumes on if the beck intake works or not.... I have heard a beck intake takes only "weeks" instead of "months. Is this the case Lastls1?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by TracyRR
Your e.t. speaks volumes on if the beck intake works or not.... I have heard a beck intake takes only "weeks" instead of "months. Is this the case Lastls1?
He had eye surgery when my intake was being built. He called and told me about it and said. The bad news is your intake is going to take a little longer BUT I can see so much better now it will turn out even better. Great guy to deal with. I oredered mine in the winter, I can't remember how long it took. I don't think it was long.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like you have surrounded yourself with the best in this business when it comes to going fast in the single digit e.t. zone.

People don't understand how much more power, money, time and effort it takes to go from a car running a 10.5 to running a 9.5 and so on.

Good luck I really love the fabrication work that is being done on your car, top notch stuff.

I'm taking some ideas with me when I decide to put my car in outlaw x275!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went checkout the OP's camaro today for the first time.....man, this thing is nice and everything is first class!! Great job micheal!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Tracy! You see that it can be done on a driveway with basic tools. I don;t have a shop or really an enclosed place to even work. I have ot pull the car out onto the driveway and jack it up everytime I work on it. I have alt of good hand tools and a Mig, Tig, and alot of very good precision measuring instruments (Starrett). It does in fact take years, ridiculous amounts of money, and alot of mental energy. Here are some updated pics after the air to water intercooler build and installation. I used a Wiggins style clamp on the throttle body because it was too difficult to line everything up pefectly and in case there is some vibration.
Attached Thumbnails 98 Camaro Z28 Twin Turbo 427 ERL LS2 Pics-001.jpg   98 Camaro Z28 Twin Turbo 427 ERL LS2 Pics-002.jpg   98 Camaro Z28 Twin Turbo 427 ERL LS2 Pics-004.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

A few more pics. I think I have the regulator in an acceptable place now.
Attached Thumbnails 98 Camaro Z28 Twin Turbo 427 ERL LS2 Pics-005.jpg   98 Camaro Z28 Twin Turbo 427 ERL LS2 Pics-007.jpg   98 Camaro Z28 Twin Turbo 427 ERL LS2 Pics-008.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good Mike. Your welding is coming along very nicely

225-343-9029
Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I am not good at alot of things and I hate doing alot of things, but strangely enough, I like to weld and I don't stink at it, at least for a beginner/intermediate. What I need is for Madman to add on to my roll cage so I can hopefully go faster than an 8.5. I need to talk to you about that.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets get it running 8.50s first. You have done a great job.

225-343-9029
Old 08-02-2011, 04:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This build looks amazing!

I have a question though. That's a three port regulator right? So you have to have a feed to it and a return going to the tank or am I just missing something?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

damn man this is a bad *** build!!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the compliments. They are needed to keep working on this thing day in and day out. As far as Madman's comment, I agree - the car probably needs to make it wodn the track first before thinking about making it go faster. I keep saying it is the most expensive Camaro that has never been down the track. It has only taken 3 years to convert it from a street car to a track car. By the time I am done, I will be too mentally, physically, and financially exhausted to drive it.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Teching In

nice you have given me alot of ideas its close to what im building. same car and color with the same motor also from erl. i like your set up it looks really good
Old 09-15-2011, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

I have more pics to download and will try to do so in the near future. Progress has been real slow over the past month becuase the heat finally became unbearable and I am working in my driveway. Yeah, all that work I did was in my driveway and garage. I put EGT probes on every cylinder with a Red Alert system. I put a new hood on. I just have to get my coils mounted somewhere underneath the car and I am good to go, aside from a few minor loose ends to be tide up. I am determined to run this car this fall.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So close man, don't get burned out now.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey micheal, what is the latest? p.s.....congrats on being a contestant on Pass Time!!! Very cool but sorry you didn't beat ken, lol.

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro Z28 Twin Turbo 427 ERL LS2 Pics