Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

'Trust's Viper GTS TT v.2 - I know, not LSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 'Trust's Viper GTS TT v.2 - I know, not LSX

Well, time for a build thread refresh. Most of you guys know I've been working on a new build, and it's taken some time, but it's mostly ready, so here is a thread!

The car:

Well, after a lot of work, changes, challenges, the finish line is in sight.

This is how it all started, I made the mistake of buying a used kit from one of the Viper forums in hopes of bolting it up and going. Goal was 700rwhp ish all the time. $7k later I got this:

Being OCD, I was a little disappointed with the condition of the parts, but dropped it off at the shop regardless. It came with the turbos, I/C, injectors/driver box, hot and cold side piping etc. Basically complete. The shop got everything torn down pretty quickly:

then called me with an issue.

Turbos that came with the kit did not come remotely close to fitting, they didn't even line up with the flanges before hitting the oil pan, after a dispute with the buyer, I told him I wanted $1k back which would give me enough to get the shop to make the adjustments to make the kit fit. He decided not to refund me after agreeing to, so I spoke to my CC company and they got me squared away for that refund. The next step was building custom manifolds and re-routing the hotside to meet up with the new custom manifolds, after a lot of consideration, we decided to ditch that idea.

Since the shop was new, and owned and operated by some very close and very talented friends, we decided to try a different setup, not new by any means, but not practiced by many Viper owners. As far as we knew, this would be the first twin turbo remote (rear) mounted Viper. I decided to stick to the factory forged motor which have been proven to 1000rwhp. The kit uses the factory cast manifolds and flex pipes.

Work begun:

and it progressed fast:

The shops fabricator had an awesome idea for the Wastegates...

We had 2 options, I ended up with the one on the right for both:

After the rear section of the car was mostly done, work went to the engine bay. This is how it looked before on nitrous:

One of the builders called and asked if I'd like to do a Gen III intake, not too many people do it, but I hated the boat anchor factory Gen II intake so I was game. $750 for a factory intake later.. also with custom fuel rails that the shop built for the swap.

Mocked up:

Building the charge pipes:

I decided I wanted the stuff black, shaved the valve covers from the Viper logos, and got both the intake and valve covers powder coated black, along with the new charge piping for the Gen III intake:

After that the miscellaneous pieces were added/connected and they got it running.

The car went off to the dyno at this point after some street tuning. The Vec II I was using for Engine Management was a challenge as it's always a revolution behind, but the shop had it under control, car started making decent power on very low boost, 650/700 no timing, less than 5k rpm. After a day dyno session the car dropped oil pressure pretty low, shop shut the car off, loaded it up and took it back for an analysis. Unfortunately, after draining the oil and finding bearing material in it the motor had to come out.

I debated for awhile on keeping the factory motor, or building. After a while, decided on building, factory crank, forged bottom end, .020 over, 488 to 492ci. I also decided to trade out the VEC II with AEM EMS and purple BOV's, I was really digging the purple and black.

Back, and back in.

Another challenger:

It went to a very reputable machine shop did the work, after several weeks of work, got it back in the car just in time for TX2K11 leaving us about of week of tuning. After the car got started for the first time and began to be broken in it started to vibrate around 3k RPM. The shop did everything possible, checked balance on the clutch, flywheel, harmonic balancer, drive shaft etc. and all checked out, after speaking with the machine shop, they neglected to balance the crank. FML.

The motor had to come back out, and I just wanted to forget about it, we all went to TX2K11 without the car and I still had a blast. The motor went back to the machine shop in late May/early April. While the motor was away, resonators were added to the down pipes and I opted for a larger hot side converting the kit to a T4 kit from the .63 T3 housings that were on there.

Comparison:

Fast forward to reinstall of the motor, and after break in, ready for the dyno:

The car saw the dyno today for it's pump gas tune, very first pull, 9 psi it did 737rwhp, 799rwtq, by the afternoon it ended up with 921 RWHP and 906 RWT
Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Q, 91 pump, 11* of timing and 11.5 AFR's and 13psi. The car is spooling pretty late on the dynojet, 5000 RPM and not in time for where it would lay down peak torque, it sees full spool on the street at 3.5k. I'm super stoked with the numbers on pump. I'm attributing the late spool to a few things, in this order; non-loaded dyno, factory heads/cam, & 6 speed.

I'll be taking the car home this week to get u sed to the power level, then it will go back to tune on C16 on the 22nd. The goal, which is very conservative, is 1100 RWHP and 1200 RWTQ or 20psi, whichever is greater , once it does that, I'm done for awhile.

Basics on the setup are:

Motor:
492 C.I.
Diamond Pistons .020 over
K1 Rods
ARP Fasteners everywhere
Pro Gram Billet Main Caps
Factory Crank
Stock heads/cam
Gen III Intake

Transmission
Stock Viper Spec T-56
Chomoly Flywheel
Spec 3+ Clutch

Turbo Setup
Precision Billet Wheel 6262's
5" Downpipes w/resonators
All stainless hot side/cold side (except for joints by the I/C)
Remote scavenge pump

Fuel/Management
1000cc DW Injectors
-10an feed, -8an return
Custom Rails
Weldon 2025 Pump
Magnafuel Boost Reference FPR
Aeromotive Inline Pre/Post filters
AEM Engine Management System
eBoost2

The car will get a few more things between now and the kill mode tune:

Pump controller to limit voltage under specific RPM, the pump is loud
Turbo Blankets
High flow Spal fan
Catch can

I'm thrilled with the car, and One Percent Motorsports in Edmond, OK has done some phenomenal work. The car drives like stock, runs smooth, has zero leaks or quirks, and was always kept clean at the shop, even on my random appearances. Obviously the build had a lot of quirks outside of their control and all were presented to me quickly and honestly. I can't say enough about the quality of work or the business conduct.

This is obviously a work in progress, and it's something I really want to experiment with. OPM will do all the work in the future, the car will need a clutch soon I'm sure, then it's off to suspension, scaling, and really getting it dialed in for those highway pulls in Mexico.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhllllly!! That **** is badd!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lookin good man!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****...if only or mexico's were the same lol.....I'd love to see this thing. Looks good Reza....a lot of us have followed the build since you started it....glad it's looking good for you finally!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats freakin amazing!
glad to see you finally got your car back and running again!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

Tx2k12 watch out ! Awesome build man !
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks great...
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I followed your build for some time.... beautiful car and great work from your shop!! Congrats on the numbers
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At first when I saw you were going rear mount, I started to facepalm, but I read on knowing the way you do things, and your OCD would not let this fail.. I must say that, now, after reading it thru, I am thoroughly impressed! VERY nice job man! I am a fan And those numbers are crazy for that boost level & timing level!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice build
Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

Very nice, I really want an 06 coupe.

Also I'm just gonna say I called it, what do I win? From your other thread when you posted the "Teaser" picture.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/14008242-post99.html
Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Very impressive! Congrats on the new found POWAH!!!! Now, get to the track
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
At first when I saw you were going rear mount, I started to facepalm, but I read on knowing the way you do things, and your OCD would not let this fail.. I must say that, now, after reading it thru, I am thoroughly impressed! VERY nice job man! I am a fan And those numbers are crazy for that boost level & timing level!
Haha, you and me both man. When the idea was presented all I thought was "no", I don't like even calling it a rearmount, I prefer remote mount, lol. We talked about it for a week, and they took everything into account. Thicker walled hotside, factory cast manifolds, heat-wrapped through the insulated side sills, all to keep the heat in, turbo placement for adequate filters, spec'd the exhaust housings for the setup, everything. It's crazy how fast it spools on the street, driving around all you hear is light spooling, put down the throttle and it sees full boost at 3,500RPM. I love it.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sluggish
Very nice, I really want an 06 coupe.

Also I'm just gonna say I called it, what do I win? From your other thread when you posted the "Teaser" picture.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/14008242-post99.html
Haha, notice how I 'omitted' your post lol. Good call man. C16 tune today .

Last edited by 'Trust'; 05-25-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

How much was the forged bottom end for a viper? I read that the srt-10s are only good for 650-700rwhp before braking.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sluggish
How much was the forged bottom end for a viper? I read that the srt-10s are only good for 650-700rwhp before braking.
I think in parts I probably have $6k in it. The number to stop on SRT-10's is 700rwhp, there was a local guy making 701rwhp and it broke, safe everything too. 96-99 Gen II stock motors like mine have made 1200rwhp on the stock shortblock, unfortunately my oil pump didn't want to do that.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

That is down right incredible looking! I seriously doubt that you will see any remote mount doubters in your thread..

Question: Is the rear valence going to shield the turbos and airfilters together or will they be exposed?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Very very nice Bro CONGRATS....

I say over 1200rwhp with 20psi and race gas..
Let's hear the beast?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Car looks great.

Tell Graycen I said what's up and great job.

-Wade

Quick Reply: 'Trust's Viper GTS TT v.2 - I know, not LSX