Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Our Turbo 5.3 and new stock bottom end record attempt (video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kscocoa
Nice times. Good to see the motor hold up to that much power. I'm going to run a 5.3 with a 75mm turbo with 10-12psi in a 68 Camaro hoping to run mid 10s in the 1/4. The only formula I know to convert 1/8 to 1/4 is the NHRA formula of 1/8mile x 1.57 but don't know how accurate it is but it comes out to a 9.15 but I would think a turbo car would pick up more on the big end than a N/A setup.
I've heard it's 1.57 n/a, 1.56 nitrous, 1.55 turbo, dunno if that's true though.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Needs a GoPro camera... haha
Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
I've heard it's 1.57 n/a, 1.56 nitrous, 1.55 turbo, dunno if that's true though.
That could be. All the ones I ever seen done were N/A cars.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Teching In

We are going to another street car race this weekend to try again. We are going to find the limits of this motor sooner or later. Stay tuned because we don't church it up about what we have or doing. We will push the envelope and not sweat it one bit or miss lead anyone.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Launching!

loving the reality of this thread!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck and be safe.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Teching In

well no record this past weekend. track sucked. we won the race but really detuned it to get it down the track. it went as fast at this particular track with less power than it has with more power in it. 6.17 and around 114 i think was mph but not sure. was only on about 15psi and 100 shot of nos. we are usually around 25psi and 175 shot. we started with the 5.83 tune and made a peddle fest out of it so we started taking power out from there. this thing is 3 for 4 in races we have entered and still runs like a top.lol we have definitely raised a lot of eyebrows with it. next race want be until September but will be testing a new converter, drag radials, and holley efi system before then so i will keep everyone updated on it. thanks again to howlin for the tuning capabilities. without him this thing would be nothing but a basket case to drive. he really wrote a tune for it saturday night for the track conditions and it got faster every pass.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats ... Inspiration for us fellow max effort stock motor guys
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM
8 Second Club

how much timing do you run with the 175 shot?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dudeman
i think it is around 17. not sure. have to look at the tune. howlin on here does it so he would know. he may chime in if he sees it. he is busy getting the holley hp ready for this thing so we can go faster. changing the converter and a couple of other issues right now and then we will be back out. vacation in 2 weeks so no big rush to get it all going with the upgrades. will keep everyone posted
Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

I am not trying to speak for my brother but this thread has not been updated for a while and he just had his camaro on the dyno on Tues with his 5.3L and 85mm turbo. It made 640 @15 psi but was pushing thru the converter so it didnt hit what it should. Made 595@10 psi. He is LS1LT1Cam on this board. Told me last night he was gonna try and take it to the track this weekend and see what it does there if with the converter issues.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastimes
i think it is around 17. not sure. have to look at the tune. howlin on here does it so he would know. he may chime in if he sees it. he is busy getting the holley hp ready for this thing so we can go faster. changing the converter and a couple of other issues right now and then we will be back out. vacation in 2 weeks so no big rush to get it all going with the upgrades. will keep everyone posted
I'm guessing your going to continue to spray the motor with the dry shot in closed look with the Holley HP EFI and let the computer control the fuel and nitrous curves along with the boost/fuel/timing curves?

I'd love to drop the coin on the HP or Dominator set-up. I've downloaded and played with the software for both and it really looks nice. Main thing is I have never tuned a car before ever and the Dominator software I could definately learn quickly and make great use of it as it truly is user friendly. I love the self learn feature. One the fuel map is full set copy it to your ve table and then hit the re-learn button and it will use the fuel map it made up for the current ve table while it re-learns and continues to fine tune it more.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dudeman
Also Curious to know this....
Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Teching In

haven't done much to it lately. nothing going on in our area right now. we haven't installed the holley system yet. changed the converter, going to radials, and changing the rear gear this week to get ready for a big race at the end of the month that we won a couple of months ago. timing is 17* with the 175 shot. going to try some more boost on it maybe this weekend to test or at least at the next race. wanting to go with a stock 6.0 we have laying around to see if we can pick up with just an engine swap. it will still be stock bottom end but with a vengeance camshaft. just hate to fix something thats not broke. lol will have some updates after next friday.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club

Congrats guys! Very impressive! Stock Bottom Ends rule!!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Don't change the motor out till it blows. Push it and see what it will do. Don't make a bunch of changes if it already works well.

I plan on going with the Holley HP EFI instead of having my harness re-pinned, buying a 99+ pcm, and paying 650 for tuning software when I can have a aftermarket set-up for the exact same price with all harnesses plug and play. Holley told me the HP and Dominator ecu's are exactly the same as far as engine control goes, only things the dominator does that hp doesn't is DBW throttle bodies, gm trans control, and the different pin-outs to be custom tailored.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Don't change the motor out till it blows. Push it and see what it will do. Don't make a bunch of changes if it already works well.

I plan on going with the Holley HP EFI instead of having my harness re-pinned, buying a 99+ pcm, and paying 650 for tuning software when I can have a aftermarket set-up for the exact same price with all harnesses plug and play. Holley told me the HP and Dominator ecu's are exactly the same as far as engine control goes, only things the dominator does that hp doesn't is DBW throttle bodies, gm trans control, and the different pin-outs to be custom tailored.
you will like the hp. its a very solid piece of hardware/software.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
you will like the hp. its a very solid piece of hardware/software.
I plan on checking it out in person at LSfest next week and making my decision then. I have already downloaded the software for HP and Dominator and I love how easy it is, I could easily tune my car with this software. I really like how I'll be able to control my meth injection through the HP computer and if it quits working like it did the other day on me it won't boost more than certain psi, retard timing and fatten the afr up and warn me that it quit. I also like being able to control the timing and fueling on the brake to allow quicker spooling and the closed loop functions are awesome on here. The nitrous controls are really making me want to put a small dry shot on my car pre turbo and use it as a way to super cool the IAT's and spool my turbo if the situation calls for a super kill mode
Old 09-03-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
I plan on checking it out in person at LSfest next week and making my decision then. I have already downloaded the software for HP and Dominator and I love how easy it is, I could easily tune my car with this software. I really like how I'll be able to control my meth injection through the HP computer and if it quits working like it did the other day on me it won't boost more than certain psi, retard timing and fatten the afr up and warn me that it quit. I also like being able to control the timing and fueling on the brake to allow quicker spooling and the closed loop functions are awesome on here. The nitrous controls are really making me want to put a small dry shot on my car pre turbo and use it as a way to super cool the IAT's and spool my turbo if the situation calls for a super kill mode
the boost control on the holley is not working yet. no word on when it will be working, so you are unable at the moment to scale back boost based on any parameters, because, well, it doesnt control the boost yet.

I dont know that it has the ability to detect a malfunctioning water injection system. I dont think the technology is there yet to tell the computer that the nozzle is clogged and not flowing, but I might be wrong.

I dont recommend using holley's water injection system. it is by far too expensive. what i did was put together my own injection components for about $150, then I use a holley 12v output to control a simple relay that switches the water pump on/off based on my parameters(in my case- boost)

now, one thing the holley can do, is that you can set it to say, if the air temp goes above a certain level, kill the engine. eg, with water injection my ait is around 124@, I can say, if it goes past 140°, the kill fuel and spark. that part i like, but again, you can build your own injection system and save hundreds.

the nitrous control features ARE very cool
Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
the boost control on the holley is not working yet. no word on when it will be working, so you are unable at the moment to scale back boost based on any parameters, because, well, it doesnt control the boost yet.

I dont know that it has the ability to detect a malfunctioning water injection system. I dont think the technology is there yet to tell the computer that the nozzle is clogged and not flowing, but I might be wrong.

I dont recommend using holley's water injection system. it is by far too expensive. what i did was put together my own injection components for about $150, then I use a holley 12v output to control a simple relay that switches the water pump on/off based on my parameters(in my case- boost)

now, one thing the holley can do, is that you can set it to say, if the air temp goes above a certain level, kill the engine. eg, with water injection my ait is around 124@, I can say, if it goes past 140°, the kill fuel and spark. that part i like, but again, you can build your own injection system and save hundreds.

the nitrous control features ARE very cool
I'm hoping that the boost control function is working and in use when I purchase it since it will be winter when I do purchase finally. I was told I can still retard timing, add fuel, add timing etc. vs. kpa and map pressure just not vs. boost yet?

Can you tell me how you have yours set-up since your using the holley efi?

Quick Reply: Our Turbo 5.3 and new stock bottom end record attempt (video)