Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My Forged LS1 KYTP TC 78 Header build

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My Forged LS1 KYTP TC 78 Header build

So I've been doing this build for a little while now. We've been through quite a bit of relocation for the ABS module and had to cut the fuel lines from the filter and run braided steel line up to the fuel rails.

Stuff going in(big stuff anyway)

KYTP TC78 Stainlessworks Header AC kit(Tial bov and wg)
TU1 Cam
317 Heads
Forged ls1 with stock crank
FLT built 4l60e
Strange s60
Dual walbro pumps
60lb injectors

Block back from speed inc. Very nice!

Battery relocated to the trunk using one of those autozone battery box specials.

317 heads slightly milled with a valve job

studs

Old 07-06-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What part required relocating the ABS module?
Old 07-06-2011, 02:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by evo462
What part required relocating the ABS module?
Since the tubular headers are up and forward they hit the side of the ABS module where the crossover meets. I got some more pics. Also we had to bend down the brake lines forward instead of how they were which is straight up. This way nothing is hitting the header.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

beautiful
Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Isnt the hot side piping a bit large in diameter?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLINGOLE
Isnt the hot side piping a bit large in diameter?
Are you referring to the headers, crossover or dp? The headers sit out further than manifolds so things like the fuel lines and brake lines need to be relocated. We tried to flare the fuel line under the firewall, but that didn't work out so well so we ended up ditching the hardline and ran -8 braided steel from the fuel filter forward. The DP is 3" and the crossover I think may be 2.5". I'd have to measure to verify. Headers are 1 3/4"
Old 07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The crossover is 3". Josh almost always uses 3" on the crossovers for the header setups. Makes it easier for him since that's what the collector is off the headers.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk00ss
The crossover is 3". Josh almost always uses 3" on the crossovers for the header setups. Makes it easier for him since that's what the collector is off the headers.
You are most likely right. I haven't measured it myself, but it is pretty damn big. It fits though and that is with puller fans.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Looking good bro, im def interested to see how this comes out, do you plan to push this thing to the limits?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

My brother in law and I Made alot of progress this weekend. Ps relocation is complete and looks beautiful. Coil packs on with some protectors on the wires and tied up with stainless line. We may relocate the coils but hope this will work well for now. They aren't touching. Hooking up some of tge cold side and cleaning up the mess of wires and routing them where try need to go. Josh@kytp makes a pretty damn nice kit I must say.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

I have no actual experience with the cross over pipes on LS1's, so my opinion doesn't count.

However, everything I have read is that anything 2.5" or larger on the cross over increases lag substantially.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Ya i was referring to the merge pipe between the headers and the turbo flange. But ok now that i look at it i see he did that because that was the size of the collector on the header. I know the pipe being a 1/2-3/4 bigger isn't really gonna change anything in the hp department just might make it .00098 seconds slower on spooling up. BUT then again that tc78 spools faster then a roots blower it seems like sometimes. So **** it might help!
Old 07-10-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SATAN
I have no actual experience with the cross over pipes on LS1's, so my opinion doesn't count.

However, everything I have read is that anything 2.5" or larger on the cross over increases lag substantially.
one thing i do know for sure is that 3inch pipe looks like business under there.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Holy crap those headers are a tight fit. I like the white also its kinda different. Lookin good.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

hey man if you get a chance post a picture on your down pipe. On my setup it dumps on the drivers side and i wish i had room to run it to the back. It kinda looks like you did.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SATAN

I'm not sure myself, but it's the same size as the header. I don't have it in front of me to look at, but I don't think it changes size from that header to the turbo flange. Josh has sold many of these kits so he may be able to answer to that.

better pic of the header meeting the crossover

Ya i was referring to the merge pipe between the headers and the turbo flange. But ok now that i look at it i see he did that because that was the size of the collector on the header. I know the pipe being a 1/2-3/4 bigger isn't really gonna change anything in the hp department just might make it .00098 seconds slower on spooling up. BUT then again that tc78 spools faster then a roots blower it seems like sometimes. So **** it might help!
I think It'll spool fine. Won't know till it's drivable, but I will tell you that my biggest limiting factor once I'm done is probably going to be my fueling. I only have 60lb injectors so I'll probably be pushing those. I haven't decided if I'm going to go e85 or run methanol injection so I didn't want to put too much into the fueling except for dual pumps and 60lb'ers.

one thing i do know for sure is that 3inch pipe looks like business under there.
Yes it does!!

Originally Posted by mpatton
Holy crap those headers are a tight fit. I like the white also its kinda different. Lookin good.
Thanks, it probably won't stay white for long. The swaintech coating has been known to yellow a little after some heat cycles. Swaintech only does one color. The black/white was kinda an afterthought since that is what I got from ST. My wheels are black and the body is white so I thought I'd just go with it.

hey man if you get a chance post a picture on your down pipe. On my setup it dumps on the drivers side and i wish i had room to run it to the back. It kinda looks like you did.
I don't have a pic of it, but will try to grab one next time i'm there. It dumps right under the firewall on the drivers side. my brother in law will eventually connect it to the exhaust and put a dmh cutout in as well. For now I'm going to dump it there to get it rolling. Do you have a pic of your dump?
Old 07-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned

Headers:
1 3/4" Stainless
3" Collector

Crossover:
3" Stainless

Down Pipe:
3" Stainless

Cold Side Pipes:
3" Aluminum

The StainssWorks headers these setups are based off of come with a 3" Collector. That is the sole reason for the 3" Crossover. From the Header collector to the T4 flange is less than 16" Per side. Hardly enough time to slow down the spool up of an already aggressive spooling TC78 turbo. Yes 2.5" pipe on the cross over would be ideal. However I do not like the Hard transisition from 3" to 2.5" in the collectors.

Will has done a very good job with pics and such of the install. This setup dies keep the Factory Accessories in the Factory locations. It does require some minor movement of relocation Concerning the ABS. I recommend junking it and getting an SMJ ABS Delete setup with a Line Lock. That is my personal preference though.

Keep up the good work Will.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

It looks sick and honestly I'm debaiting on saleing my truck manifold kit to buy one of these off you with a t6 flange. Do you have a website with pricing and options?

And will all I have is a 3inch 90 deg that dumps straight to the ground. Its a little to loud for me though
Old 07-10-2011, 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

It looks sick and honestly I'm debaiting on saleing my truck manifold kit to buy one of these off you with a t6 flange. Do you have a website with pricing and options?

And will all I have is a 3inch 90 deg that dumps straight to the ground. Its a little to loud for me though
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ew-setups.html

That will give you an idea of the kits he makes. The only thing that caught me off guard was the stock hard fuel lines. They sit right up against either the dp or the header. My brother took it upon himself to run braided steel from the filter forward and cut the hardline out. We tried to cut and flare the fittings back under the firewall, but the main feed was bieng a pita. Otherwise all the accessories bolt right up. My brother is the man and helped me out a ton.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Looks good man. Can't wait to see the radiator set-up and the fan set-up as well. Wish I could've went ahead with my FI build. We would've been twins lol.

Quick Reply: My Forged LS1 KYTP TC 78 Header build