Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

which oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which oil pump?

long story short I meant to get the melling more volume 10296 but got the higher pressure 10295. Will the 10295 still work well for my app or even better? Or should I get the 296?
it's goin on a forged 370 with a D1 700-750 hpthanks
Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

It will work great for your setup. The benefit of a 10296 is extra volume to supply turbo(s) and an oil cooler. With your procharger having a self contained oiling system you most likely won't need it.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

so any more opinions??
Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm curious to hear others opinions as well because I plan on getting the 10296 pump.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am using a Precision Oil Pumps Melling 10296 on mine. http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/...ard/Detail.bok You have to call to get the 10296 though, they only sell the 10295 on their website.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

youll be fine
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering if you are aware that with the 10296 you would have to do some grinding inside of the front cover to clear the bulkier pump, and if you're planning on using a double roller timing chain, you would also need to do some grinding on the pump to clear it. I was also planning on getting the 10296 along with a double roller for my 370 while waiting to receive it from AES, but I think I would just go with 10295 so that I won't have to get an extra capacity oil pan, otherwise there's a good chance that you'd end up sucking your stock oil pan dry using a high volume pump.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:45 AM
11 Second Club

ill stick with th 295 thanx guys
Old 07-08-2011, 06:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
Just wondering if you are aware that with the 10296 you would have to do some grinding inside of the front cover to clear the bulkier pump, and if you're planning on using a double roller timing chain, you would also need to do some grinding on the pump to clear it. I was also planning on getting the 10296 along with a double roller for my 370 while waiting to receive it from AES, but I think I would just go with 10295 so that I won't have to get an extra capacity oil pan, otherwise there's a good chance that you'd end up sucking your stock oil pan dry using a high volume pump.
My 10296 cleared perfectly on my LQ9. You have to grind/shim if you are using a double roller chain but a single works well. The remedy for preventing sucking the pan dry under accel is to put the stock tension relief spring in the pump. If memory serves me correct it's blue and the high pressure that comes in the pump is red. With the stock relief setting you start bypassing oil back to the pan sooner. Overfilling a half quart on top of the stock pressure spring all but eliminates it on a street car. You can dig up some very informative threads where Jon (I think) from Lingenfelter goes into detail about the difference in the 2 melling pumps compared to a stock pump and where they are best used. They sell all of them on their website as well.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FMX05
My 10296 cleared perfectly on my LQ9. You have to grind/shim if you are using a double roller chain but a single works well. The remedy for preventing sucking the pan dry under accel is to put the stock tension relief spring in the pump. If memory serves me correct it's blue and the high pressure that comes in the pump is red. With the stock relief setting you start bypassing oil back to the pan sooner. Overfilling a half quart on top of the stock pressure spring all but eliminates it on a street car. You can dig up some very informative threads where Jon (I think) from Lingenfelter goes into detail about the difference in the 2 melling pumps compared to a stock pump and where they are best used. They sell all of them on their website as well.

Are you using a stock ls1 front cover on your lq9? Anyway, thanks for the addtional info concerning the 10296.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Melling 10296

I am unaware of any clearance problems on a stock timing cover with the 10296 pump. We have installed many of these pumps without any clearance issues.

If you want to use a double roller timing chain then clearance is a problem (but I don't see any reason to use a double roller timing chain but that is another discussion or thread...).

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default 10296 vs 10295

With an aftermarket crankshaft and aftermarket bearings we normally recommend using a higher volume oil pump in order to be able to provide additional oil flow at low rpm to make up for the increased oil leakage that exists with the different radiuses and chamfers on the aftermarket crankshafts and bearings. The additional oil flow (volume) increases the oil pressure at low rpm (until you get to the pressure regulator set point). Changing the spring on the pump doesn't do anything until you have enough oil pump flow for the pressure control valve to start to operate.

The high volume GM pump or the 10296 pump are the higher volume pumps we normally recommend. With the high volume GM pump we supply a lower pressure spring for the pressure control valve so that you don't have more pressure than you need at high RPM. The GM high volume pump is normally used in applications that need a much higher oil pressure in order to operate the cylinder deactivation lifters and the camshaft phaser.

The 10296 is roughly 18% more flow than the 10295/LS1/LS2/LS6/LS3 pumps while the high volume GM pump is roughly 30% more flow than those pumps.

Here is a link to the description of the high volume GM pump on our web site.

Here is a link to some of the old discussions regarding oil pumps that has some technical information that still applies.

If your engine is already together and in the vehicle the easiest thing to do is just check what your oil pressure is. Check it with an accurate external gauge if possible. Get the engine oil fairly warm/hot (220 to 230 is pretty normal) and the coolant up to warm operating temperature (200-212) and then see what your oil pressure is at idle. If you oil pressure is ok at those temperatures then you are probably fine with the pump you have. The GM specification for acceptable MINIMUM pressure at hot idle is around 8 or 10 psi but you normally want to see more than that (15 to 20) since that is considered to be the bottom of the range (worn engine etc.).

Originally Posted by TermnEatr
long story short I meant to get the melling more volume 10296 but got the higher pressure 10295. Will the 10295 still work well for my app or even better? Or should I get the 296?
it's goin on a forged 370 with a D1 700-750 hpthanks
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (02-05-2022)
Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
With an aftermarket crankshaft and aftermarket bearings we normally recommend using a higher volume oil pump in order to be able to provide additional oil flow at low rpm to make up for the increased oil leakage that exists with the different radiuses and chamfers on the aftermarket crankshafts and bearings. The additional oil flow (volume) increases the oil pressure at low rpm (until you get to the pressure regulator set point). Changing the spring on the pump doesn't do anything until you have enough oil pump flow for the pressure control valve to start to operate.

The high volume GM pump or the 10296 pump are the higher volume pumps we normally recommend. With the high volume GM pump we supply a lower pressure spring for the pressure control valve so that you don't have more pressure than you need at high RPM. The GM high volume pump is normally used in applications that need a much higher oil pressure in order to operate the cylinder deactivation lifters and the camshaft phaser.

The 10296 is roughly 18% more flow than the 10295/LS1/LS2/LS6/LS3 pumps while the high volume GM pump is roughly 30% more flow than those pumps.

Here is a link to the description of the high volume GM pump on our web site.

Here is a link to some of the old discussions regarding oil pumps that has some technical information that still applies.

If your engine is already together and in the vehicle the easiest thing to do is just check what your oil pressure is. Check it with an accurate external gauge if possible. Get the engine oil fairly warm/hot (220 to 230 is pretty normal) and the coolant up to warm operating temperature (200-212) and then see what your oil pressure is at idle. If you oil pressure is ok at those temperatures then you are probably fine with the pump you have. The GM specification for acceptable MINIMUM pressure at hot idle is around 8 or 10 psi but you normally want to see more than that (15 to 20) since that is considered to be the bottom of the range (worn engine etc.).

Thanks for the info, i'm installing the 10296 on mine this evening. Good to know i shouldn't have any clearance issues, was starting to get worried.

Quick Reply: which oil pump?