Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

If you've had a procharger and turbo car in here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If you've had a procharger and turbo car in here!

I've debated these two systems for years and need your input if you've had both. I only want to make the switch once. I have a high compression motor which has a forged bottom end ls1. I planned on changing out the heads and cam with other parts to a boost motor. I already have long tube headers, custom 3 in y pipe, Borla exaust, a 12 bolt with 4:10 gears, which I will change out for boost, etc. This car will be street driven and may never see the track. Which system will I be happy with and not regret later? Thanks for your input.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Come on guys, someone has had both systems with a six speed car like mine. I need your input.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be happy with either system honestly. Can you do some of your own fab work and engine work or do you just want to bolt something on? Do you like a stockish quiet sounding car or do you like something that lopes and whines giving a bold statement? You can make a lot of power with turbo or supercharger, but the power delivery is much different. Either way they are both insane for the street A D1SC pullied up pretty good will shred tires everywhere you go pretty much instantly. With headers, cam, d1sc your car will be pretty loud even with a quiet muffler like magnaflow.

I would say a 6 speed turbo car is a lot more work to get all the bugs sorted out. There is not much better than opening my electric cutout and hearing my turbo whirling away while cruising around town. Close the cutout and you have no clue my car is anything but a cammed ls1. You may have to remove the a/c for some turbo setups but you don't have to deal with belt issues either. I've had a few street races recently, people wonder wtf just happened when you hit the wastegate and blow by them sideways haha.

Here is my friends car I tuned, it ran 10.7 banging the gears in a heavy pig with a d1sc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztWKVR_0DQI

Here is some of my turbo videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrhVubhLs-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlMH1yPFZQE

Here is my friends D1SC LS1 on 9-11lbs, Trex cam, headers, etc
Before and after the D1

Here is my setup with a TC76 @ 7lbs
Before and after comparison

Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for your input, a/c is a must have in Louisiana, so I'll have to keep it. I have family that can help me with the motor and as far as my on fab work I can't do that so it will prob be a kit from a turbo sponcer or procharger sponcer. What type of bugs did u have to work out with a six speed? Either way I'll go with a f1a or bigger turbo for upgrading the motor later on down the road. This is the type of info I need to make my decision. The 455 rwhp my 346 h/c car makes is not fast to me anymore so that's why I'm making the switch to fi.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say with you wanting to keep your A/C, and the fact that you already have a high quality full exhast system, I would go with a procharger. I think you can make up to 750rwhp with a D1-SC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

You can keep your A/C just fine with a turbo setup
Old 07-16-2011, 10:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRIS'S 98 SS
Thanks for your input, a/c is a must have in Louisiana, so I'll have to keep it. I have family that can help me with the motor and as far as my on fab work I can't do that so it will prob be a kit from a turbo sponcer or procharger sponcer. What type of bugs did u have to work out with a six speed? Either way I'll go with a f1a or bigger turbo for upgrading the motor later on down the road. This is the type of info I need to make my decision. The 455 rwhp my 346 h/c car makes is not fast to me anymore so that's why I'm making the switch to fi.
How much time do you have to put toward your build? The reason I ask is that a procharger can be done over a weekend if so inclined. A turbo can retain A/C, see my build, but it typically requires tube headers or I've even heard of vette manifolds working as well. The problem is that it takes some fabrication of the radiator/fan/condenser to get it all to fit. That has taken us some time and plenty of back and forth. It's not a daily by any means.

I guess it depends on what you use your car for and how long do you want it down for. If I wasn't traveling it wouldn't take so long. I don't regret the decision to go turbo over the procharger. I wouldn't want it any other way.

If you are up in the air, call josh@kytp. Explain to him what you want and he will tell you the pro's and cons of doing a turbo setup over the procharger. he really is objective about it and not just out to get a sale.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, my car is not my daily driver. I have a truck for that. As far as time it's limited with two small kids but I could work on it a little at a time if needed. I thought about calling Josh but wanted other peoples input who has had both and liked one better than the other.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If done right, belt slip is not an issue at all with a procharger. Get an Aster bracket, use a good belt, and break it in properly and your belt won't slip.

Look at the dyno graphs above that Nitroused383 posted and look at where each of the setups made more power than the normally aspirated setup. The procharger made more low end torque quicker, but less overall torque and power.

Figure out at what rpm you want more power and then look at the logistics involved with doing that setup.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another way to look at it is which do you want more irregardless of price and time? Turbo or super? With that bieng said if your heart is set on one setup then go that route. I've seen guys go from a procharger to turbo setup, but never see someone go from turbo to procharger. What does that tell you? Depends on your preference. I thought about going procharger initially because it was easier, but I knew it was a matter of time before I'd want a turbo. I skipped ahead and bit the bullet to go turbo.

Last edited by willizm; 07-16-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Things I had to do with my turbo setup, design / build an alternator relocation bracket, build an intercooler mount, delete ac, buy pusher fans, wire fans, cut a notch in my k-member for the truck manifolds, pull radiator forward, use lt1 radiator support, reroute power steering lines, remake my exhaust setup (had a nice header setup with a nice y merge I built). I will likely need to reseal my fast intake as I think its leaking and also have to add new valve springs. I also had issues with my stock coils, I had a couple cylinders misfiring, I tried all sorts of plug gaps from .02-.30". I've gone through several plugs and wires chasing the issue. I ended up trying my friend's ls2 coils which solved the issue, so I bought a set of D585 truck coils. Turbo setup will require stiffer valve springs, exhaust valves will float from back pressure with minimal springs.

A procharged car would work well with 3.9-4.11 gears, my car sucked with 4.11's so I installed 3.5's. You want boost off the line, you need a 2 step, no big deal though that was by far the easiest thing I've installed on my car. You will have to redo your PCV lines with turbo or procharger so that is more work. I had to upgrade my clutch, went with a mcleod RXT twin, either setup will need this. I installed a methanol kit, more wiring etc.

My friend installed his procharger setup in a few weekends, I spent every weekend for 3-4 months working on my stuff. I'm still not done working on it, you're never done working on an FI setup lol. As far as the dyno results, I see full boost @ 2800 rpm in 4th gear. On the dyno it didn't spool as early. Turbo setup sees 1-2 lbs as soon as I wack the throttle but usually takes .5-.8 seconds before full boost hits. In 1st gear on my car goes from 3000 rpm to 5500 rpm in .5-7 seconds or so and the boost ramps in quick and hard. Do you want to blow the tires off right when you hit the throttle or .5-1 second after you hit the throttle, lol either way you need good tires. With a procharger it's instant boost based on what rpm you hit the throttle. At the track lag doesn't matter at all since I can launch on 7lbs of boost with the 2 step. My car is a daily driver and it's street manners are important to me.

Last edited by Nitroused383; 07-16-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

i have a turbo car and a procharged car, and considering everything you said id say d1sc!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Launching!

I have driven both with similiar horsepower levels (640+whp)with 10:1 comp. both 6 spd ..ive driven an auto (th400) d1 also and for a street car i like the D1sc, it revs instantly on 12psi and is pretty hairy to drive the turbo has lag then a huge burst of torque ,, it just depends on how you like your power to come on ,4.10s will be fine too.. there both fun
Old 07-17-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a turbo, but I think that since you have most of the supporting mods already to suit a supercharger and don't get alot of time to work on your car a blower would be your best bet.

Just make sure you get a decent belt tensioner setup, so your not dealing with belt slip and all should be good.

You were taling about maybe going a bigger turbo if you went that direction, but honestly, a big laggy turbo on a M6 would suck on the street.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

I want to do the fi one time and not regret having one system over the other. I will pick out a system for room to grow later down the road ( bigger motor ).
Old 07-17-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my Procharged car it drives nice and stock till u crack the pedal, and instant TQ is great. Ive never been in a turboed ls car before so I can't say much on that part. But I'm curious so I would like to try that type of setup as well. If I ever buy another TA camaro or vette I think would go turbo IMO
Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRIS'S 98 SS
I want to do the fi one time and not regret having one system over the other. I will pick out a system for room to grow later down the road ( bigger motor ).
The ProCharger D-1SC can get you up close to 800 rwhp down the road when you're ready for more power. If you think you may eventually want more power than that, you can go with an F-1A to start out with. Here is a link to a complete system that I sell. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ20...-Speed-Kit.htm Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

NitRoused 383, when u say you are never done working on a fi setup what do u mean? Does a turbo always require maintenance or issues compared to a procharger? I quess this is what I need to find out before I pull the trigger on a system.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

F1 is only 500 more, might as well go with it. trust me, you will never have too much power!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive had 2 turbo setups (1 was a 6 speed and one 4L80e) and a 6 speed procharged setup. My opinion is this, for a fast FUN street car I say D1SC, especially if you want to keep the 6 speed. If your concerned about 1/4 mile numbers, you cant beat the Turbo/Auto setup.

Im more of a street guy and didnt like the turbo lag combined with the stall convertor "feel"..plus having 8.6:1 CR along with the added weight of the TT kit & 4L80e didnt help either. But Damn!, kick it down on the highway & it was scary fast.

The procharged setup was fun on the back roads and the highway. Plus with a procharged setup, you can get away with steeper gears which makes it more fun down low.

Quick Reply: If you've had a procharger and turbo car in here!