Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Engine didn't last a summer/ new build time

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there you have it guys
Todd i dont think you work for kurt at the time did you?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

you have a funny way of doing it after you just said i was trying to blackmail you
Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tomz28
i put the Engine together after we found it in parts
Here is how we picked up the motor. No internals what so ever were in the block.
Attached Thumbnails Engine didn't last a summer/ new build time-img00033.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
9 Second Club

no pms Todd not any more post it here now
Old 08-24-2011, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chubbz155
Here is how we picked up the motor. No internals what so ever were in the block.
this is how we found it after 4mos of sitting at Kurt urban performance
Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
No Tom, I am just trying to smooth things out.

After talking with Billy, he insists he did not build the original engine, just want to clear that up
by the looks of things Todd you dont have your facts staight at all.

so help your self out and stop trying to prove something that you have no clue about.
so far you have called me a lair and that im trying to black mail you

and now people you see why i didnt want to try to get Kurt urban performance involed. its just a waste of time for everyone

(PS the reason i use the full name is because the next time someone searches for Kurt urban performance. all of this BS will be pulled up)
i rest my case good night all
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

You are right Tom, some of my facts are not correct. I removed all of my posts regarding this issue. I was not an employee at the time this occurred. Apologize for getting involved and creating confusion.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

damn Tom buddy i hate to read all this give me a cal some time
Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this is a bunch of bullshit. You guys KNEW what car the motor was going into...it came out of a built auto and was going into a 6spd...so yes check the pilot bearing and associated items! It also was stated that the car did not have a BS3 so after it didn't start why did it take 4 months to get a bucket of parts? How about the piston to bore clearances? You guys are supposed to be professionals....try acting like a professional. A true professional will stand behind their services and work and correct their deficiencies. Kurt urban performance had a pull out motor from a race car and sold it for Mark knowing the car it was going in. When there was problems with the engine because it wasn't 100% compatible you back out stating because it wasn't originally built by you it isn't your problem. You guys "checked" out the motor when it came out and said it was "good". Your excuse that "Tom just had really crappy luck" is a load of ****. Stand by your company...sorry this isn't a 7sec car spending 80K at your shop. Doesn't mean you get to dick over the average Joe's.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ruh Roh...
Old 08-25-2011, 03:35 AM
10 Second Club

The installer should check pilot bearing depth, not the builder. And if they didn't use the reluctor wheel, how would they realize it was installed wrong. My $.02
Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 AM
9 Second Club

its a good thing i quoted Todds BS before he removed all his BS.
The truth will all ways come out. and what could of been a cheap fix for them is now going to cost them in lost sale.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I hate to see this. This whole damn thing is a **** sandwich for all parties involved in my opinion. Maybe a few mistakes on both sides of the thing that caused a whole lot of friction. Lesson- Don't buy an engine out of a race-car.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tom,
Can you post the invoices for work performed at Kurt Urban Performance and why the work was desired?

Kurt Urban
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by tomz28
Well after all the BS getting this engine up and running. that i got from a member on here and was built by what i thought was a great builder(vendor on here). turned out to be nothing more than a **** poor pile of parts with a big price tag on it.

so how did i find out the engine was bad? well the car started to smoke bad on decell and then all the time. there was oil in one down pipe so i was thnking turbo. sent that in to get looked it was fine. try alot of stuff than said F--- it took the engine out did some testing found the engine had some crazy leak down going on

things wrong
crank trigger was not clocked right (old issuse)
flywheel bolt pattern is way off (old issue)
waited for 4mos and the builder still couldnt get it back together after the trigger was put back on right. (old issuse)
i ended up putting it back to together my self and after looking at the clearance and calling the builder and asking if what i found was ok. he said "its fine"( piston to bore clearances WAY off)

sorry this is me venting

on to the bright side. i took the short block up the Billy Briggs. he stayed after hours until i could get up there after work. i took the engine and heads to him. we knock a piston out real quick took some measurements and he said he couldnt belive it didnt smoke from the start. he said turn around will be pretty fast . less than 4mos LOL

whats really funny is how much power it made still being this poorly built lol

so it s getting new Diamond pistons with the same CR and hoping callies will hook it up on a crank that should of never made it pass a quality check
a better cam as well the one i have is really small

ill post pics of all the crazy junk later. i hope next time on the dyno we should see a %20 increase in power

Help me understand the situation, since a LOT of stuff has been posted. Some of it is very confusing....

Please fill in the blanks for me....

1. You purchased a used engine from a seller on LS1Tech that was built by W2W. You did not buy it from W2W or Kurt Urban Performance?

2. Before you took delivery of the engine from the LS1tech seller, the LS1Tech seller sent the engine to KUP to inspect it for you? If so, who paid for the inspection, you or the seller?

3. KUP shipped the engine to you or did the LS1Tech seller ship the engine to you?

4. You installed the engine and found various problems with it. Reluctor wheel, crank, etc.

5. You call KUP and say the engine has problems and will he fix it since he inspected it for you or the seller or both before you received it?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
Help me understand the situation, since a LOT of stuff has been posted. Some of it is very confusing....

Please fill in the blanks for me....

1. You purchased a used engine from a seller on LS1Tech that was built by W2W. You did not buy it from W2W or Kurt Urban Performance?
correct

2. Before you took delivery of the engine from the LS1tech seller, the LS1Tech seller sent the engine to KUP to inspect it for you? If so, who paid for the inspection, you or the seller?
KUP is his sponor and re-built it fresh ready to go

3. KUP shipped the engine to you or did the LS1Tech seller ship the engine to you?
KUP shipped it to me

4. You installed the engine and found various problems with it. Reluctor wheel, crank, etc.
yes sir
5. You call KUP and say the engine has problems and will he fix it since he inspected it for you or the seller or both before you received it?
i was going to pay KUP to put it back together once it was all fix but it never got done

there was more posts in this thread but Todd pulled most of them. so it is kind of a mess now. im done with the bad mouthing. i hate threads like this. the word is out and im moving on with my New build and my life.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 427
Tom,
Can you post the invoices for work performed at Kurt Urban Performance and why the work was desired?

Kurt Urban
Hey kurt for the record i still think of you as a very smart guy.
i think you need a better Manager
you never gave me one i dont think just like i never got the cam card i ask for

but im done now unless someone wants to drag this thing out any more
Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
You are right Tom, some of my facts are not correct. I removed all of my posts regarding this issue. I was not an employee at the time this occurred. Apologize for getting involved and creating confusion.
way to be a chicken. what branch were you in?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
Man, I hate to see this. This whole damn thing is a **** sandwich for all parties involved in my opinion. Maybe a few mistakes on both sides of the thing that caused a whole lot of friction. Lesson- Don't buy an engine out of a race-car.
agreed
Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The main thing I think that points to no wrong doing by tom is that the posts that were made in remarks to his points made about the troubles he went through with this motor were removed.

That should show anyone who reads this thread what really happened.

I will say I have NEVER heard a bad thing about KUP and have a good friend that helped me into the racing world that uses one of his assemblies with great luck as it's never had to been torn down in 3 seasons of HARD racing.

I think the little guy kinda got lost in translation here. I understand Kurt does lot's of big n ame race car's and that little projects that are done on the shops own dime usually rarely end up going the customers way.

Hope you get a good running engine in your car soon tom, I'm sure you'd love to drive it once.

Quick Reply: Engine didn't last a summer/ new build time