Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Engine didn't last a summer/ new build time

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomz28
Now they think im trying to black mail them awesome
Man that freaking sucks man, sorry to hear that bro. I wonder how many more posts and pages this thread will go until either the previous owner of the motor, or the builder of the motor does reply and post in here. It will be really interesting to see what they have to say about the motor.

Do you know how long the motor was in the previous car? How hard was it run? For how long?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Man that freaking sucks man, sorry to hear that bro. I wonder how many more posts and pages this thread will go until either the previous owner of the motor, or the builder of the motor does reply and post in here. It will be really interesting to see what they have to say about the motor.

Do you know how long the motor was in the previous car? How hard was it run? For how long?
To add to that list, was it sold as fresh and ready to go?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

turns out its my fault for buying some one elses race junk
thats pretty shitty considering where it came from...
Old 08-24-2011, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
To add to that list, was it sold as fresh and ready to go?
It was sold ready to go and in supposed good usuable condition is my understanding.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you didn't buy it from the company, I wouldn't expect them to do anything for you.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
It was sold ready to go and in supposed good usuable condition is my understanding.
correct
Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
If you didn't buy it from the company, I wouldn't expect them to do anything for you.
+1
I'd like to hear the other side of this.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 PM
9 Second Club

the name is about to be posted every soon.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jridenour31
+1
I'd like to hear the other side of this.
i ask them to post in the thread but they want to keep it private

im prttey sure they will post when i give out there name
Old 08-24-2011, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the engine used when you bought it? IE it was ran with miles on it? Or bought and then sold to you?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:33 PM
9 Second Club

it was a fresh re done engine from a member and his builder sent it to as a engine in "good working order"
Old 08-24-2011, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

it was a fresh re done engine from a member and his builder sent it to as a engine in "good working order"
So it was a used engine that was rebuilt and sent to you. Was it the same engine builder as where it was origianlly bought from?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:43 PM
9 Second Club

yes...
Old 08-24-2011, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

yes...
See now I understand why you are upset. I must have missed it in the posts earlier, but I was reading it as you bought it used from a person not shipped from the builders shop.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Old 08-24-2011, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it was pulled out, went to the shop and then shipped out here to Camp Pendleton CA. It was a running engine out of a very well known car that has gone very fast on it. When Tom asked some questions as to the bore sizing he was told it was ok. I was in his room for that conversation. It was also well known as to the car it was going in...he didn't just buy this engine on a whim...many calls had been made before hand. It was known that this engine was going into a 6spd car and not an auto...also that it didn't have a BS3. Now my problem is when it was bought and known that it was going into a 6spd car and it came out of a auto....don't you think the pilot bearing should have been checked? Not the shop it originally came from...they built the motor originally for a auto car, hence it not being a problem. Crank trigger, replacing a thrust bearing, just problem after problem...and A LOT of lost money and time.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 PM
9 Second Club

so after a bunch of piontless PMs i now fell that its ok to say Kurt Urban Performance is the shop
Old 08-24-2011, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
The PM's were not pointless Tom. At least we made an effort to contact you. Many shops would not. Most of the issues with this engine (for Tom) began way before Kurt ever touched the engine. BTW, the engine worked just fine for mid 7's at more than 175mph on numerous passes.

For what it is worth, fact is Tom has spent less than $500 with Kurt Urban Performance.
So because he has only spent 500 dollars with you guys that makes it ok to not back up a product that was checked over by your guys and then sent to him with an ok to use sticker on it?

Seems like it's becoming very clear that you have to be a major player in this game to get the attention that every hard working man deserves.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The PM's were not pointless Tom. At least we made an effort to contact you. Many shops would not. Most of the issues with this engine (for Tom) began way before Kurt ever touched the engine. BTW, the engine worked just fine for mid 7's at more than 175mph on numerous passes.

For what it is worth, fact is Tom has spent less than $500 with Kurt Urban Performance.
So who got paid for the motor in the first place? If he paid someone for the motor, that was supposed to be 'turn-key', and had to pull it and send it back for an additional $500 in repairs, then I can understand why he's upset.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
9 Second Club

it never went mid 7s ont that engine only 8.0xx
For what it is worth, fact is Tom has spent less than $500 with Kurt Urban Performance. There are some good information in this thread, but as usual, much of the meat has been left out

I don't make a point to spend hours on the Internet trying to help out customers that have invested so little with our business. Fact is that Tom had some things go the wrong way for him. He is to blame for some of the issues, but seems to navigate around those parts. It is convenient to have the Internet at your disposal when you want to vent, but please assume responsibility for your own actions please.

- Engine was originally built by W2W (builder was not Kurt)
- Crank had issues from the day it was first installed (reluctor installed wrong and pilot hole drilled wrong)
so why not fix it- Crank and engine worked flawlessly for many passes in the 7's; why would the builder check the reluctor wheel when it had never been an issue?
again never went 7s and yes why waste time doing a detail inspection
- Crank issues were unknown to builder and owner; why? - car used Big Stuff 3 and it does not rely on the reluctor wheel in the same manner as stock; car used an auto trans, no need to verify the pilot hole
- Engine made it to Tom and he could not get it started; so he kept attempting to start it; all the while he was washing down the cylinders with fuel and removing all the oil
yup we did that. my fault thinking everything was right with the engine figure it was something i did
- Let the engine sit for months without oil on the cylinder walls; resulted in rust and the engine had to be honed and/or bored
months trying to figure out why it would not run- Owner payed to have the reluctor wheel fixed and all internals put into a new block
in a used block that was not filled
Great guy but looking back you should have paid for it- Was advised to put new pistons into the engine due to wall clearance; declined; result was excessive oil use
NEVER HAPPENED- Tom forced the transmission into the rear of the crank with longer bolts; effectively destroyed the thrust bearing due to excessive load on the rear of the crank
also never happened seening how the plug is just pressed in and off by just of faction of a inch we are not hacks we dont force things- Kurt agreed to work on the problems when he had the time; there was no money involved; after 4 months (or so), Kurt was not able to get to it
was told one month- Parts were picked up and taken to Billy; ironically, the same guy that built the engine in the beginning
i put the Engine together after we found it in parts

Last edited by tomz28; 08-24-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine didn't last a summer/ new build time