Old 12-26-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love your setup!!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skinnies
Congrats on the record, finally now I'll have some motivation for my rx7 again!
LOL! u knew it was coming soon enough
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by atomic 6
You should know by other posts, here and on YB, that the 6.0 gave up @ topeka, after we got the voltage to the coils to 16 volts.

First pass at a lower boost, the engine(specifically the rods) broke.

A week later, it was running again, this time with a 4.8, because it was cheap. And we figure compressing a rod,this time, on a 4.8 is more safe than a 6.0
looks like it broke in the same place i broke my rods when i ran it lean. except 1 and 2 broke. looks like 7 and 8 broke in this case.

what is your theory regarding why it let go, in relation to the 16v

also, im curious what the 4.8 has run in place of the 6.0?

the shootout is going to be fun. that third gen looks like it means business.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=atomic 6;15768711]6010 is working good, up to 20 lbs(about 700hp) after that we saw some ignition issues at peak torque.

Once the voltage to the coils was brought up to 16 volts, no more problems with firing the rich e85 mix.

how did you get 16volts? do you meen that you are using a 16volt battery, instead of a 12v? i have a 6010 box on my l92 headed lq4 na motor in my street car. i have no complaints with it. i was just worried about using one on my turbo dragster motor, but your car proves that they can work!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
LOL! u knew it was coming soon enough
I figured someone would've taken it before that honestly, I commented I believe in early spring or so they had a good combo and thought they would take it from me. I'm sure in spring someone will take the record again from me, if they get this camaro done I could see it going in the 7's on a stock shortblock. Hopefully around late summer I'll have mine out again with the upgrades, I just don't have time to touch my own cars, too busy building everyone elses crap!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
looks like it broke in the same place i broke my rods when i ran it lean. except 1 and 2 broke. looks like 7 and 8 broke in this case.

what is your theory regarding why it let go, in relation to the 16v

also, im curious what the 4.8 has run in place of the 6.0?

the shootout is going to be fun. that third gen looks like it means business.

I believe we were losing power, with ignition not being hot enough.
We could see a saw tooth in the rpm on the 9.10 run, a little bit. And in the 8 sec run it was half of that run.
Then with a hotter spark on the 16 volts, recovering the lost power was too much for the rods on the older engines.

We never really made any runs on the 4.8, the trip down to Topeka(where the Mustang broke) was going to be the last blast of the year.
Our local 1.8th mile track was under water most of 2011, hopefully in 2012 it will be back and hooking for us. Last year cost a bunch to travel around and do testing.

Do you have any pics of the damage to your 4.8. If yours broke the same way this did then we would be smarter to switch to a Gen IV short block with the stronger rods.

If we have it done and tested by the shoot-out we may go. We only work on the Camaro on Wednesdays after work, and some Sundays.

But the stupid 275 rule in the heavier class will likely keep us home.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

6010 is working good, up to 20 lbs(about 700hp) after that we saw some ignition issues at peak torque.

Once the voltage to the coils was brought up to 16 volts, no more problems with firing the rich e85 mix.

how did you get 16volts? do you meen that you are using a 16volt battery, instead of a 12v? i have a 6010 box on my l92 headed lq4 na motor in my street car. i have no complaints with it. i was just worried about using one on my turbo dragster motor, but your car proves that they can work!

The camaro has a whole 16 volt system(including alternator), but the Mustang was using DC to DC convertor on the coils' supply power only.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
This "record" thing is pretty stupid when you are not running a full weight car.... Why doesnt someone just get a stripped down featherweight rail car and take the record? Or a motorcycle? It seems to be more coming down to who has the lighter car.... not the better "record setting" setup.
tell that to the guy from fast track perf, or stock48. they didnt get the memo.

what I think is stupid is running a heavy car and complaining about the guys who are going fast in lighter cars.

no one put a gun to your head to build a heavy car, so stfu about it already.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe we were losing power, with ignition not being hot enough.
We could see a saw tooth in the rpm on the 9.10 run, a little bit. And in the 8 sec run it was half of that run.
Then with a hotter spark on the 16 volts, recovering the lost power was too much for the rods on the older engines.

We never really made any runs on the 4.8, the trip down to Topeka(where the Mustang broke) was going to be the last blast of the year.
Our local 1.8th mile track was under water most of 2011, hopefully in 2012 it will be back and hooking for us. Last year cost a bunch to travel around and do testing.

Do you have any pics of the damage to your 4.8. If yours broke the same way this did then we would be smarter to switch to a Gen IV short block with the stronger rods.

If we have it done and tested by the shoot-out we may go. We only work on the Camaro on Wednesdays after work, and some Sundays.

But the stupid 275 rule in the heavier class will likely keep us home.
I dont have any pics sorry, but the rods broke in the exact same place on the big end. I was pretty impressed actually that I didnt break every single rod and piston in that thing. Also had 5 pistons still in that thing.

I was basicallly out of fuel, and the efi was doubling my fuel duty cycle to try and keep the afr set. with e85 and water injection, it was actually living.... till I got to the rev limiter and then all hell broke loose. see, with my efi, it does not do fuel compensation when its on the rev limiter, so as soon as I hit the rev limit, it killed fuel compensation, cut the fuel settings back to what my table listed, but fuel pressure was probably less than 20psi at this point. thats when the motor went BOOM.

thats why Im surprised it didnt take out every last rod. Im actually pretty impressed with the rods in this thing. although, the 04 up rods look a heck of a lot beefier.

why arent you running the unlimited class. have you heard of a car or two that could beat the camaro?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
The 2 injectors in the charge pipe are keeping inlet air temps down, not just the e85 itself. Sweet setup op!!!
thats def very smart to do. i bet alot of people will do this in the future.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
tell that to the guy from fast track perf, or stock48. they didnt get the memo.

what I think is stupid is running a heavy car and complaining about the guys who are going fast in lighter cars.

no one put a gun to your head to build a heavy car, so stfu about it already.
Nothing wrong with lightening a car or having a light car to go fast. When bragging about a record though you should at least have something backing it other than a featherweight car. In reality there is nothing extraordinary about these stock shortblocks, they are the same as thousands of people are pushing to the limits. The fact it is in a feather weight car does not make it special or if holding a record has nothing to do with the engine.
No disrespect at all to anyone...Its Bad *** what is being done and awesome.. just the "record" part I think needs a little more back bone to be supported. - My opinion you can hate me for it.... but I really dont care.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Look at the record however you want, take the weight out of it, Skinnies RX7 is still making way more power down the 1/4 mile than any other car has yet that posts on these forums. With the same power a 4000# car would have to go 147mph in the 1/4 mile to be making the same power as the RX7 at 2700# going 168mph. The 155mph or whatever that car went last year was pretty impressive, not that big of a deal, but the 168mph now is pretty far past what anyone else is doing. Im impressed with the reliability more than anything, thats the hard part, Im not real good at it myself

Quick Reply: Full Weight 8 on a stock short block