Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AES 390-D1SC-3.4 pulley~10lbs of boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AES 390-D1SC-3.4 pulley~10lbs of boost

Car does not have a working boost gauge yet. Been fighting this car for the past couple of months with one issue after the next, mainly map sensor issues. Anyway, we do some more tuning last night, finally on a 2 bar tune. Map tops out at 171 kpa on hpt. I look up the conversion chart and it shows me to be making roughly 10lbs of boost. Did have a little bit of belt slip no doubt, we could see the map fall off here and there at wot, but it was brand new and I didnt wanna crank down on this sucker yet. Figure I MAY get another 1lb or so with no slip, maybe a tad more. So, I figure theres a leak or two somewhere. I have searched through pages of leak threads, but have yet to see how cap the system and test, I am really just looking for a parts list to get. I figure its the intake most likely is the culpit. I really wanted to see anywhere from 14-16 or so with this pulley, or am I just way off thinking that?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Hey man,
What I did to make a boost leak tester for my turbo kit is get a proper sized rubber cap from Lowe's and drilled a hole in it. Then I put a male air compressor chuck in it with some silicone around the inner and outer edges. Then attach this cap to the blower inlet with a hose clamp. This way, I would hook the air compressor hose to a regulator (I used a cylinder leakage tester) and then hook the cylinder leakdown tester to that port in the rubber cap. Then I just turn up the regulator and once you get to about 9-10psi, you can start listening for leaks. I found a couple huge leaks in mine when I first put it on because it wouldn't make over 8psi. I did this and then started wiggling pipes and couplers and it will show its ugly face.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah after no responses I kept searching more and finally found a thread showing what to do. Seems like I need to pull the valve covers and rockers to check for leaks around the intake after I make the cap. Putting press around this area without the engine running wont hurt anything will it? I know its a boosted car and all I just feel like I need to ask for some reason. Should I put how much boost pressure I am shooting for on the system?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by taws6m6
Yeah after no responses I kept searching more and finally found a thread showing what to do. Seems like I need to pull the valve covers and rockers to check for leaks around the intake after I make the cap. Putting press around this area without the engine running wont hurt anything will it? I know its a boosted car and all I just feel like I need to ask for some reason. Should I put how much boost pressure I am shooting for on the system?
I wouldn't pull the valve covers until you rule out the SC plumbing. No, It wont hurt it at all and I've never hesitated to do it to mine. I would just use some type of adjustable regulator where you can ramp the pressure inside the system up until you hear a leak.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You would be surprised how much tightening up on the belt will help. Mine would make 9ish with the belt loose. And once it was tightened the **** up, it would hit 14lbs. This on a 402 with a D1 and 3.4 pulley. Bet money this is your problem to.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

I put them pretty damn tight. I have the extra idler mod on my bracket and I damn near have the 2 pulleys contacting each other. I did order a slightly smaller belt so I can experiment a little. I did a test, found a bolt missing that you loosen to clock the blower, was a pretty good leak too. I fixed it, and fixed another where my 90 going to the tb was leaking a little. Now when I pressurize the system I am getting leakage around my injector o rings. Never even heard of this before. All the o rings are brand new with an ls6 intake
Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

I did order the truck inlet from bob with the bigger conical filter, all I had was a small mushroom filter on the blower. I also ordered a set of dual cut outs for the exhaust to help with power a little
Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did she put down on 10psi? She should be making more boost then that. What size is the crank pulley?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

its the 7.65 I believe, the ati balancer with the stock 8 rib pulley. I havent dynoed the car, its all been on the street. Tried to a few weeks ago but the owner of a local shop wouldnt give me and my tuner any time. I have found some leaks, so thats a good start. The injector stuff has me a little puzzled as I have never heard of it before. Did a little searching today and found similar issues, all with the import guys running like 20lbs or more though. One of them is particularly bad. I wouldnt spray soapy water there, but is was enough to blow out a lighter holding it several inches away. I contacted FIC today about some better viton seals I hear of people having good luck with. Other than that IDK what to do, I doubt the intake would be junk
Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your running a 7.65 crank and a 3.4 blower pulley your currently close to if not at max impeller speed on the head unit. It should be making at least 14psi on your CI/setup. As you've already found, you have some bad leaks. Spraying soapy water on the couplers is a good idea on how to find leaks and it won't damage anything. Trace out all your vacuum lines and make sure their all good too....your losing a decent amount of air somewhere.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They make an injector o-ring lube / grease that you can get at some auto parts stores. You defenitely need to grease them up.

Quick Reply: AES 390-D1SC-3.4 pulley~10lbs of boost