Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Attention all stock shortblock players!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atomic 6
Can't it just be double or triple pinned, and then the crank doesn't have to be removed.

We have been pinning all of the aluminum engines we run, even without blowers, because the aluminum engines like to loosen the balancer oddly.
It is easily done, and looks to be pretty hard to break even just one pin.

I still like the idea, of going fast on a stock longblock, but everybody wants to change the gaskets, head bolts, and rod bolts.

So short block it is, now people want to take them apart too.

But, we should have cars that fit anyway it goes, so however the rules end up, I hope it is a success, and we have a some fun.

If you have an engine that can't fit the program, just go get a stock short block to put in the car. And save the other one with the excluding hardware for after you blow the junkyard one up.
So far my aluminum one has kept the balancer on, but I do remember when Jim drove down to KC in the g8 and had the bolt come out and we helped him get it back in. We use a big *** breaker bar and my 260lb friend to get them tight and they stay in, lol.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That day I heard his tensioner clicking(right as he was going to run again), and we seen the balancer was way out of alignment. I didn't know you were there that day, weird.

That is when we started to pin the aluminum engines.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 AM
10 Second Club

That day I heard his tensioner clicking(right as he was going to run again), and we seen the balancer was way out of alignment. I didn't know you were there that day, weird.

That is when we started to pin the aluminum engines.
Yep I actually helped find him the tools and maxxmitchell and I helped him tighten the crank bolt back down. We stood around and talked for a bit afterwards too.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Outlaw class and Street class.

Id take my forged 6.0 out for a jy 6.0 but man AL is a haul from MN.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a idea, about weight. (no min. weight, but must be NHRA legal)

First to stripe wins, lighter car leaves .05 later for every 50 lbs under other lane.

This would allow the quickest car at any weight to be seen.

But the Lightest car can't be the winner without catching the heavy car, and ultimately making the same power or more than the Heavy car.

3500 lb car leaves first and their power level nets them a 9.87

3000 lb car leaves .5 second later(because 500 lbs lighter) and has to run 9.37 or better to win, still cut a good light, and dead hook to take the win.

For full discloser, My car is a little tire street car at about 3700 lbs, but but would be lucky to run a 9.80 on a perfect day.

Last edited by atomic 6; 10-03-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

why does anybody think that a heads up race should be fair? fair is for bracket racing, little girls and ****.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Here is a idea, about weight. (no min. weight, but must be NHRA legal)

First to stripe wins, lighter car leaves .05 later for every 50 lbs under other lane.

This would allow the quickest car at any weight to be seen.

But the Lightest car can't be the winner without catching the heavy car, and ultimately making the same power or more than the Heavy car.

3500 lb car leaves first and their power level nets them a 9.87

3000 lb car leaves .5 second later(because 500 lbs lighter) and has to run 9.37 or better to win, still cut a good light, and dead hook to take the win.

For full discloser, My car is a little tire street car at about 3700 lbs, but but would be lucky to run a 9.80 on a perfect day.

No reason it shouldn't go 9.80's, my ltd is 3700lbs also, 2.73 gears, tight converter, and a 255 drag radial, it went 10.0's not even trying and that was with 110rwhp down.(bad valve springs and lower boost) That was the first and only time I've drove it at the track, my gf's been 10.7's in it with the boost/timing turned down and her taking off really easy. It's FAR from being setup for drag racing, it's a fun driver/sleeper we built when the rx7 got boring as not many to really race around here.

Everyone complains about weight, but how about since you got a bigger turbo I get a head start for that? Or you got really a better suspension setup, my **** went 1.40 60ft last time out. Or I have more rolling resistance from the tires so probably need a head start for that. You'll mph higher because of your radials too, do I get a head start from that?

Run what ya brung, so far I think I'm the only light car that is even talked about racing and hell you are just hundredths of a second behind me.

Originally Posted by nxfirebird
why does anybody think that a heads up race should be fair? fair is for bracket racing, little girls and ****.
I like that quote, I think I'll make it sig material.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Attention all stock shortblock players!-fast.jpg  
Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

So what are you bringing to this???

Details...
Old 10-03-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't get me wrong, there will be a car from Omaha, that will be light and a stock short block.

The facts are, we make way more power than Skinnies has (way heavier car running within a tenth), and We have a proven light car to put power into.

We have been 1.2 with a stock suspension heavy car,and this one is a lighter four link car that does work.

Hopefully this event pans out, and we can bring some cars to it.

I am just looking at the racing aspect of it, people are calling for different classes, and this would be a way to do have one class, find who can make the most power, make it last, and then who get get the quickest time out of a Stock Short Block.

But I was thinking more for the event, and the draw of more racers, than just how we fit into this.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:39 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Word!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Must be a stock shortblock motor with factory casting heads."

i think this is going to limit ET's.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kmracer
"Must be a stock shortblock motor with factory casting heads."

i think this is going to limit ET's.
No way, the last 4 guys who have had the record all had stock casting heads. Let boost do the work and you can make plenty of power with the stock casting heads, unported or touched at all, other than springs!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
I suggested on the first page a limit of one engine per car, if this is a weekend deal. ie you dont want someone to show up with 8 $150 engines that only last two passes each.

rodbolts need to be stock for a truly stock bottom end. use any fastener on the top end.
how are you gonna win if you pop a motor mid run?

its your responsibility to come with a reliable tune up.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skinnies
Anytime you tear apart the stock shortblock I don't consider it a stock shortblock anymore, example I think it was tirefryin or someone who wanted to replace the bearings with stock bearings and rings with stock rings(possibly opened up) to create a fresh motor. I don't consider that a stock shortblock anymore, I think it should be just as it came from the junkyard(aka how gm built it), like I've mentioned I think rod bolts should stay stock, but they have become over the years so accepted it's hard to argue with them anymore with so many people wanting to do them and still consider it a stock shortblock.
you ******* whine too much. your car would run NO ******* FASTER with fresh bearings.

so if someone buys a brand new LQ4 its not stock? or.. is it just not fair? GTFO.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

To far for me but i also dont get how you have unlimited power adders but then stock head castings..thats cool but what about the n2o only guys.we cant make the same power just spraying as what a turbo car can make with stock heads..n2o guys should be able to run aftermarket heads.

As for all you guys saying budget racer this an that cant make 2400#.you better look at any mustang then because my x275 style stock suspension notch with me in it once finshed should be right at 2400#s..thats 10pt cage,normal aftermarket stock suspension,ls1,th400,8.8,1 seat,carpet an interior panels,lexan all around,deck an hood only thing fiber glass..oh an im 250#
Old 10-04-2011, 04:34 AM
10 Second Club

Go buy a new one, that is fine, but when you start taking it apart and replacing parts, its not stock anymore. If I could replace parts, I'd put new bearings it, open up ring gap, spray the bitch to the moon and you'd see a 170mph stock shortblock setup, but I don't consider that stock shortblock anymore as parts have been replaced/modified. I would definitely say a motor with fresh bearings is gonna take more of a beating than one with 100k or 200k miles on them.

It's not like I just came up with these rules, been that way forever, the whole replacing parts came up a few years ago in a thread.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
To far for me but i also dont get how you have unlimited power adders but then stock head castings..thats cool but what about the n2o only guys.we cant make the same power just spraying as what a turbo car can make with stock heads..n2o guys should be able to run aftermarket heads.

As for all you guys saying budget racer this an that cant make 2400#.you better look at any mustang then because my x275 style stock suspension notch with me in it once finshed should be right at 2400#s..thats 10pt cage,normal aftermarket stock suspension,ls1,th400,8.8,1 seat,carpet an interior panels,lexan all around,deck an hood only thing fiber glass..oh an im 250#
Good point, the non turbo guys will probably want a better head, not that it matters I think it should be allowed anyway.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

the street legal **** is that also..i would put money that almost 75% of the cars that show up saying they are street legal because there taged an such couldnt even get threw my states inspection..my mustang if i still lived in florida would be street legal all day and night..here it wouldnt even make it 1 min into inspection before i had 10 things that wouldnt get it threw..case in point,working wipers and windshield washer,must have cats,no after market exh's and even if you got by with it then you would get hit with noise level ****,race harness not legal,big cowl hood no go,e brake must work at 1k-2k rpms..see some of you guys live in car friendly states..just remember that some states arent that car friendly..

like i said its to far for me,plus im southern and have no need to run 1/4..im a 1/8th mile guy.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like it could be fun.

Quick Reply: Attention all stock shortblock players!