Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Should Whipple Make A Gen 4 F-body Kit???
Yes
97.09%
No
2.91%
Voters: 860. You may not vote on this poll

Whipple Supercharger for the Gen 4 F-body

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have to agree what people say ,and what people will buy are worlds apart, all these people saying yes they would buy i doubt would, lets be real ,i think maybe 5 people in this thread might buy whipple if it was to come out, others are just full of it. ask 6le he deals with this all the time, he post a thread about something they are going to make and everyone chimes in saying they want one asap, well when its time to buy no one is around. i think people just like to hear them self say they would buy it or something,or just dreaming. lets be honest anyone that is going to pass up a pro charger for a kit that is going to be a pain in the *** to install and max out around 500 doesnt know much.now my guess of a max of 500 is just that a guess, would i like there to be a whipple ? i would like to see a well thought out kit made for ours cars, do i have much hope that it will happen ? not really, others have tried and failed, but if anyone could pull it off it would be whipple. sorry for my ran togther post only half the keys on my phone work lol
Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Captain Double Post

again im just guessing 500 max, that is a far out guess, the 03 cobra guys would know way more about whipple superchargers than i would ever know, and i know a few guys that make some big numbers with them,i was more just saying that on a stock ls1,dont rag on me for that part of my post because the rest of it is true and everyone knows it lol.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you are just guessing on the 500, but you are far off. the small mp112 maggie will max out above that number. I have seen ls3 with 2.9 whipples in the 700+ area with stock crank and forged rods and pistons. I've seen stock ls3 motors with the 2.9 whipple in the 600+ on stock internals.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with the statement of only a few people would buy the kit. 1. Not many people have the cash to spend 2. Not many people want to "modify" the car to make the kit work on there car. I personally could not fork out 6000+ for a kit at my presant time, but if I did have the cash id rather have the 2.9 whipple over a procharger or turbo setup.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Captain Double Post

I agree,my guess of 500 was more towards your every day stock ls1 on a safe amount of boost.maybe we will get some info soon
Old 11-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Captain Double Post

What i would like to hear about is the eBay cx racing Turbo kit,or whatever its called,i read somewhere that they were going to redesign the whole kit to fix the issues with them and keep the same price.i wanna say i read about it in gmhtp
Old 11-05-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
lets be honest anyone that is going to pass up a pro charger for a kit that is going to be a pain in the *** to install and max out around 500 doesnt know much.

Yeah, I passed on the procharger and installed that pain in the *** maggie all by myself and I sure dont know much.

If you're going to post w/o merit, why post at all? To hear yourself type like those people you mentioned that wont buy the kit? You make it sound like everyone can just run out and purchase a procharger but not a whipple or maggie kit. Cause everyone has procharger dollars in their wallet but no one has maggie or whipple dollars. They all run in the same price ranges. Once you've spent $6000.00 on a kit a couple more grand just comes with the territory, whether it's supporting mods or whatever. Once you choose FI you're going to blow some cash. None of these kits are something you can do on the cheap. It's like having a big block and expecting great gas mileage.

Do some research before you just go guessing and posting more worthless crap. Like was said earlier the mp112 maggies make well over 500 hp. The TVS are making 800+ on built motors and neither of those are screw compressors like the whipple.

You say those of us that have a maggie over a procharger dont know much and yet you're posting about some ebay turbo kit in a whipple thread.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

TVS is not a twin screw. still a roots. but still accurate on hp numbers, although TVS need one verry beefy motor for 800hp.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:53 AM
12 Second Club

i sure hope this happens. i miss the whine.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Captain Double Post

so its pointless to say 80 percent of this post is just saying yes they want one when its just a bunch of bs, listen i wasnt calling out anyone at all , i agree its a ton of money to spend, and again read my post im talking about a stock ls1 motor, not a built motor, i would hope a built motor can make more than 500,i think there was alot of merit to my post, if you go 3 pages back i think you will see that. and honest your first part of your post pretty much made my point,(pain in the *** magie) when you could have bought something that was simple to install.again wasnt calling anyone out but my 1st post made alot of good points,but it seems like i rubbed you the wrong way, my bad if i did, but honest everything i said was an opinion , im allowed to have one right,thanks,and my phone is crap so excuse my ran together post,
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

You got my vote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by ivan c
You got my vote
It costs very little to vote and a lot more to buy.

Hopefully Whipple will do more market research before they decide to go forward.

Andrew
Old 11-05-2011, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
If modifying the cowl is not an issue, then why haven't more people installed a Whipple 2.9L in their F-bodies already? Something doesn't add up...

I think that the kind of guys that don't mind cutting the cowl are running turbos or centrifugal blowers.

Andrew
i've worked with turbos and eaton blowers in the past. turbos have quite a few possible failure points. a fixed displacement blower has far fewer. a turbo requires a lot more fab work than just cutting a cowl. blower manifold and heat exchangers just bolt on. if someone gave me the option between a 2.9l twin screw, and a fully fabbed turbo kit like the APS kit, i would still go with the blower, even if it was more expensive. the only draw back to a fixed displacement blower is heat and maxing out the compressor. i seriously doubt 99% of the people on here looking for a bolt on blower are going to max out a 2.9l whipple. I think if produced it will definitely sell. just my .02
Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Again.. I point out... Wheres mike?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Probably doing the professional thing & waiting for the OK from his higher ups to come back in here with news about their company & it's products.

This thread was just to see if there was any interest or not; It's served it's purpose, and Whipple doesn't really need to come back in this thread.

If anything further is to develop, I'm sure it will have it's own, new and designated thread.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Hopefully Whipple will do more market research before they decide to go forward.

Andrew
They have to start somewhere. Why not put a post on a message board dedicated to the platform they are talking about building it for? Granted it would be a poor way to do business if all they did was put one post up, and bang, pull the trigger on production. But used as a stepping stone, it's a good way to start. Now, someone can say, 'Hey, maybe we should look a little more closely at this. There is some interest, let's take it a step further.'
Personally, my next step would be to call the company’s selling my product. I'd say something like, "We've got a possible product in the works for XX platform. How many would you want to purchase once we get a full production run. Remember, I can get you a discount on bulk orders."
Message board as a definitive money strategy, no, but used as a stepping stone, why not. Think of it this way, if 4 people said yes, is there any reason to go on? If 400+ people say yes, would you maybe take a longer look?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Chvywolf
They have to start somewhere. Why not put a post on a message board dedicated to the platform they are talking about building it for? Granted it would be a poor way to do business if all they did was put one post up, and bang, pull the trigger on production. But used as a stepping stone, it's a good way to start. Now, someone can say, 'Hey, maybe we should look a little more closely at this. There is some interest, let's take it a step further.'
Personally, my next step would be to call the company’s selling my product. I'd say something like, "We've got a possible product in the works for XX platform. How many would you want to purchase once we get a full production run. Remember, I can get you a discount on bulk orders."
Message board as a definitive money strategy, no, but used as a stepping stone, why not. Think of it this way, if 4 people said yes, is there any reason to go on? If 400+ people say yes, would you maybe take a longer look?
You're right. This is a quick easy way to start, but it should definitely not be their only means of assessing the potential market for this product. Their dealers would actually be a very logical next step since they actually KNOW who buys what and not just talks about it.

Andrew
Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Nothing for the LT1? Sheesh...
Old 11-08-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Our poor LT1s are the red-headed step children of Chevrolet.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Got my vote

Quick Reply: Whipple Supercharger for the Gen 4 F-body