Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pics of my soon to be turbo'd LS1!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

+10 million for using swimming pool noodles as mock up tools!

This should be a fun car when finally dialed in.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red 95 t/a
Just a idea, But you could use a flex plate that came in the 2500 trucks with 6 liter with 4l80. You have a 300mm flex plate thats why u need the pilot adapter. The flex plate im talking about looks like a sbc 1 with a spacer that goes between the flex plate and crank flange. That way you would be able to get rid of the pilot adapter and loose the washers plus the converter will bolt up with no reaming....My cam only Ls1 had the same flex plate as you have in the pics and they are junk. Mines 400wrhp if its lucky lol and it cracked on the ring gear rite by the bolt holes. in 3 spots. I will try and find a pic of 1.

Thats the most evil and sinister chevelle i have ever seen...Very nice car
Thanks, I appreciate it. I didn't have to use washers. I was able to find a spot to turn the bolt around the other way just above the starter area. I think it will be fine now. I also used a little sealer to make sure the spacer didn't move. I was very precise about grinding the same amount out of each hole so I should be good. If I wipe out bearings then you can bet I will do as you mentioned.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you going to run an intercooler or just rely on the E85?

I am at a cross-roads in my '69 Nova twin turbo build, where I need to make the decision on what intercooler to use and where to place it. I'll be able to run truck manifolds turned forward and down since I have an aftermarket subframe. Here is a picture of the 408 in NA setup:
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Hey Cuz,
The build is looking good. Maybe we can do a little bit of wiring when I'm down there for Christmas.

Jeff---Lextech
Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chevy406
Are you going to run an intercooler or just rely on the E85?

I am at a cross-roads in my '69 Nova twin turbo build, where I need to make the decision on what intercooler to use and where to place it. I'll be able to run truck manifolds turned forward and down since I have an aftermarket subframe. Here is a picture of the 408 in NA setup:
Sorry just getting to this. I am not planning on using an intercooler. A lot of guys who have NOT run an intercooler have had success. They have sent me pm's of what needs to be followed to ensure I don't screw it up. E85 runs crazy cool. My plumbing is going to be as simple as it gets.

Quick question. When I use a 3/8 NPT fitting for the fuel rails it only goes in about 3-4 threads. Did you use an NPT or a different fitting for the rails. I want to use -10 on the other end of the fitting.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lextech
Hey Cuz,
The build is looking good. Maybe we can do a little bit of wiring when I'm down there for Christmas.

Jeff---Lextech
Thanks Jeff. That would be awesome. I was kind of hoping you could show Greg and I how to modify the wiring harness. I am going to try my best to have everything else done by the time you get here. The bracket you made is awesome! Greg did a sweet job cleaning up the bracket that held the alternator and power steering. Here is a picture of it with the new belt. I think I will need to go at least 1" shorter on the belt. It is definitely too close to the pully.

Also, If you notice the exhaust manifolds. I was going to cut those just below the sensors. I have some T4 flanges that I was going to weld directly on so the turbo could sit literally on top of the exhaust. By doing it this way, I can run my down pipe above the exhaust manifolds and down between the firewall and the transmission. I think I can get 3" Also. My question is. Does the wastegate get mounted in between there? If so if I have 4-5 inches from the exhaust manifold and the turbo is that enough room to weld in the wastegate? It will fit nice right there and be even but it only gives me a short amount of space for the wastegate if that is where it goes.

I also still need an injector driver for my 160lb injectors. Can't afford new price so let me know if you come across one.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Cutting the pipe at the O2 sensor should work but, The angle of the pipe going into the T4 flange looks like it might be pretty severe. What about using some aftermarket manifold flanges and some heavy wall mandrel bends with your T4 flanges on top. That would give you a much smoother transition into the turbine housing.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cutting the pipe at the O2 sensor should work but, The angle of the pipe going into the T4 flange looks like it might be pretty severe. What about using some aftermarket manifold flanges and some heavy wall mandrel bends with your T4 flanges on top. That would give you a much smoother transition into the turbine housing.
We are going to mock it up this afternoon. I don't think it will be as severe as it looks. However, I will post a picture and tell me if I should go ahead and go the other route. Part of the idea of this build is to NOT spend any money out of pocket, showing what can be done. Maybe Not ideal but inexpensive.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

That's cool, I have no problem with low buck. Get the next shorter belt and you should be good. Get a good one though--Like from NAPA. Don't get a cheap belt they stretch and slip/squeal. What year PCM and harness do you have?

Jeff
Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

My PCM is the one you had. I think the last 4 numbers are 0411or 4011. I'll check. It did have the pins that you check to verify that it can be modified. The harness and pcm came with this engine. The only problem was that it was drive by wire instead of cable throttle for the throttle body. From what I understand the harness can still be modified though. Someone sent me the instructions to do it. I just didn't want to screw it up since I have never done any wiring. I will look forward it and post it. The 5.3, pcm, harness are out of a 2003 Suburban.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

The 12200411 PCM is 512kb with Red and Blue connectors. The 2003 Suburban "should" have a 1mb PCM with Green and Blue connectors. Either one is fine. Let me know what color the connectors are so that I bring the correct info with me.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it is 12200411 with Red and Blue Connectors.

Okay we got the turbo's mounted. Excuse my welding this was my first actual time welding so it is ugly but i only tac welded it for mock up. I am going to have a friend Mig weld it for me to make it look nice and clean. The exhaust manifolds won't allow to place the turbos exactly even on both sides but they are close. I also had to angle them slightly down with the angle of the hood in order to close the hood. The noodles simulate the downpipe. The compressor side I think I am going to point those down since I wasn't able to get the turbo's more symmetrically even. This way I can have a 4" cold pipe come off the throttle body and put a 90 on it to turn down just in front of the radiator, after it turns down I will then use two 180 bends and merge them together and connect to the turbo's. This way you don't see the "Y" pipe portion. If I "Y" it before the 90 I think it will make it look obvious the turbos are not in the same spot.

Where the turbo's are in the picture I will be able to run the wastegate into the atmosphere towards the inside of the engine on the drivers side. On the passenger side it will point and angle the same but it will go towards the outside, this should make for a nice...almost straight flow of exhaust for the wastegate. The placement of the turbos also makes a nice direct downward flow for the oil drain back on both turbos'

Anyways, please let me know if anyone sees any reason this placement will not work. My main concern is the turbos are not in the exact same spot on both sides and the fact they have about a 10 degree downward tilt. The oil feed is directly on top and oil drain directly on bottom.

What I do like is the turbo's almost sit right on top the exhaust manifold and there are no restrictions to the turbo.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Wicked69; 12-04-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

The shaft should be parallel to the ground. If it is not it can put a side load on the bearings and wear them faster.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

The shaft should be parallel to the ground. If it is not it can put a side load on the bearings and wear them faster.

Jeff
Okay. That is what I wanted to know. If I was to cut off the flange on the exhaust, I couldn' t just weld the t4 flange on and mount it directly on there could I? The wastegate has to have some piping to work, doesn't it?
Old 12-04-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

The turbos should be evenly spaced in the engine bay. Why spend all this money and have it look all uneven.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
The turbos should be evenly spaced in the engine bay. Why spend all this money and have it look all uneven.
I was just thinking the same thing. I don't like how it looks. I found this picture and think I could mount them using the exhaust similiar to this picture. I thought if I came over the top that it would look stupid but I don't think this looks too bad. Just a small "S" shape over the top to a T4 flange.

Lextech is my cousin and has a set of C5 manifolds.....man wouldn't that be cool if he would sacrifice his manifolds for my build. lol Those sure look nice in the picture. A whole lot nicer than the truck manifolds. lol

Last edited by Wicked69; 12-04-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Dude, I just bought flanges for my C6 manifolds two days ago. The C6 manifolds are fairly inexpensive and can be found on E-Bay. Did you notice the water pump in that picture-----It turns the wrong direction unless that is a pump that I am not familiar with.

Jeff

Last edited by Lextech; 12-08-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, I just bought flanges for my C5 manifolds two days ago. The C5 manifolds are fairly inexpensive and can be found on E-Bay. Did you notice the water pump in that picture-----It turns the wrong direction unless that is a pump that I am not familiar with.

Jeff
Yeah, I was just giving you a hard time...you know guilt trip. lol I did what you said, I just ordered some mandrel bend tubing from one of the sponsors. I got 3-180's, 1-90, and a 4' stick of aluminized steel. Surely, I can make it look pretty close to that picture. Going to see if I can find some c5 manifolds before the tubing gets to my house.

How do you like the set up in that picture as far as the turbo's and wastegate placement? I think it looks okay. I assume this was somewhat what you were refering to earlier with the mandrel bends.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Ya, That setup looks good. I would want some fairly heavy wall tubing to support those turbos hanging that far off of the manifolds.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got 16 guage aluminized steel. Good enough? If not I could also make a bracket to help support the turbo's.

Quick Reply: Pics of my soon to be turbo'd LS1!