Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI and stock ecu, wiring in a swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI and stock ecu, wiring in a swap?

Hey there. I am currently in the middle of building out an L33 with an LS1 intake manifold and throttle body. I'm almost to the point where I will need to decide on what to do for wiring and ecu (I decided to build out all the exhaust manifolds and piping first and get all the hardware finished before getting into the electrical).

At first I was going to go with a stand alone from painless since it seemed to be the most user friendly and cost effective at 1500 for everything including software to tune. Now from some of the things I have read here and there i know that stock these motors can take up to roughly 12psi but I am only going to be pushing 8-10 max since that should easily net me 500 rwhp intercooled and cammed. I know that the LS1 ecus are fairly powerful and can be tuned for almost just about anything.

What I want to know is, since it is a MAF and MAP based system stock is the MAF fed pre turbo or post turbo? Can I use the stock ecu and use something like MAF pro to get rid of the MAF and run only the MAP sensor? Is the stock MAp sensor a 1 bar or 2 bar? I also want to run e85 and will be looking to use 1000cc injectors. I haven't really found much on turbos and stock ecu system around here and maybe if people chime in we can get a lot of info put together and make a nice sticky out of it for others on this boosting issue alone?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Get a good tuner and go S.D. they will have no problem doing that for you !
Old 10-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Teching In

S.D.? Obviously a good tuner is the final step I just want to know all of my options with the wiring harness and ecu for this swap.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speed density

Just get a stock harness and strip it down, if you don't want to let me know I can help you with it. Where you located? Definitely get a real tune, tune is key on these stock motors! Do a 3 bar setup, e85, and 80lb injectors, ls9 gaskets/studs, cam/springs, and should have no issue at 600+ rwhp for a LONG time.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Teching In

I figured a 2 bar setup would be better, more resolution and we don't plan to push the motor past 10lbs for a long time. We already have the cam and springs,head gasket will be next. I have the stock L33 harness but I'm not sure if it is worth while to tear it down or not for an LS1 ecu or if even could be. See going speed density was the idea form the get go which is why I liked the harness and ecu provided by painless for 1500. From what I have gathered in the past 2 days now it seems in order to go speed density on the stock ecu and harness I need something like an HPtuners suit. Which is another 500 dollars, which with a harness an ecu either you look at is going be right around 1000 dollars. From what I understand the HPtuner can only be used so many times with one car which seems like a huge downside since this is an open ended project that will most likely be progressing power wise through the years with different setups.

Current power goals are something right around lower 500 rwhp. I guess at this point what would you guys suggest for tuning the Stock ecu for Speed Density, which is what I meant by just a MAP sensor.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by xeros15
I figured a 2 bar setup would be better, more resolution and we don't plan to push the motor past 10lbs for a long time. We already have the cam and springs,head gasket will be next. I have the stock L33 harness but I'm not sure if it is worth while to tear it down or not for an LS1 ecu or if even could be. See going speed density was the idea form the get go which is why I liked the harness and ecu provided by painless for 1500. From what I have gathered in the past 2 days now it seems in order to go speed density on the stock ecu and harness I need something like an HPtuners suit. Which is another 500 dollars, which with a harness an ecu either you look at is going be right around 1000 dollars. From what I understand the HPtuner can only be used so many times with one car which seems like a huge downside since this is an open ended project that will most likely be progressing power wise through the years with different setups.

Current power goals are something right around lower 500 rwhp. I guess at this point what would you guys suggest for tuning the Stock ecu for Speed Density, which is what I meant by just a MAP sensor.
You can retune your licensed pcm as many times as you want, there is no limit. I can not imagine running a turbo ls without hp tuners. I have 2 turbo cars that I tweak the tunes on for years. Always learning and improving.

I find pickup computers & harnesses as they go dirt cheap, they are the same thing but don't have the ls1 name & price. The injector connectors are different so you have to buy new ones from summit for dirt cheap.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Teching In

So gutting up my l33 harness to work with an LS1 ecu is just fine or better yet just finding the ecu to the l33 harness would be fine? I was told that the l33 ecu has some draw back in tuning something to do with torque limiter setting?

Returning the PCM seems to me like a huge cost at the end of the day if I have to send it out after every few uses and pay to have more credits added to it or whatever?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by xeros15
So gutting up my l33 harness to work with an LS1 ecu is just fine or better yet just finding the ecu to the l33 harness would be fine? I was told that the l33 ecu has some draw back in tuning something to do with torque limiter setting?

Returning the PCM seems to me like a huge cost at the end of the day if I have to send it out after every few uses and pay to have more credits added to it or whatever?
Truck PCM's are identical but have different parameters on certain things for example radiator fan turned off and no wire at that port. add a wire & turn the fan on etc.

With HPT you tune yourself as many times as you want for free.

You need to do a lot of reading here & on hptuners dot com
Old 10-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Yea hence why I'm going to try and document this build as well as I can. That is if all works out properly in the end. There was a thread on here I found the other day that pointed out the differences between the truck PCMs and engines and the F body and vette ones. Now I can't find it....maybe its on the other comp I was using. Really don't feel like doing the wiring myself though. I mean I have alldata and could pull up the schematics just a hassle, but also has to be as budget as can be.

Quick Reply: FI and stock ecu, wiring in a swap?