Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stock Shortblock Shootout updates and competitors thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxmalibu
personally, id rather see a junjkyard motor pulled from the junkyard and add a turbo or NOS and see what it can do STOCK.....
Originally Posted by PACKETFOCUS
I'm with you on that man. I think spending $$$ on bearings and rings and rod bolts is a waste for a junkyard/stockshortblock deal.

Especially one thats gonna kick a rod in 3-5 passes lol
isnt that what "stock" is? If you change bearings, or add rod bolts you are freshening it up or rebuilding, and its not "stock" anymore. It would be "modified" or "altered" from its stock state... But like anything... rules are made up to cater to those who cry and lose so they have a chance to win.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
isnt that what "stock" is? If you change bearings, or add rod bolts you are freshening it up or rebuilding, and its not "stock" anymore. It would be "modified" or "altered" from its stock state... But like anything... rules are made up to cater to those who cry and lose so they have a chance to win.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the stock bottom end ls1 engines I have had, the two problems main problems are bending rods and pushing head gaskets. Both which in my case, have been tune-up related and caused by detonation.

I ended up getting a 120k 4.8. I plan on getting it, putting it in the car, and then welding up my turbo piping. This is the only event I plan on running a stock motor so I'm not spending the $$$ to swap bearings, or add ARP head/rod/stud bolts.

Hell, I will be lucky to finish the car by the race since I'm just getting a motor this week.

Worst case I will just spray it if I can't get the turbo setup built in time.

Based on the rules, I should be running in limited since my car is so heavy. But this is supposed to be fun, so I'm going to run the outlaw class and see how my tank does compared to lighter cars.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PACKETFOCUS
Based on the stock bottom end ls1 engines I have had, the two problems main problems are bending rods and pushing head gaskets. Both which in my case, have been tune-up related and caused by detonation.

I ended up getting a 120k 4.8. I plan on getting it, putting it in the car, and then welding up my turbo piping. This is the only event I plan on running a stock motor so I'm not spending the $$$ to swap bearings, or add ARP head/rod/stud bolts.

Hell, I will be lucky to finish the car by the race since I'm just getting a motor this week.

Worst case I will just spray it if I can't get the turbo setup built in time.

Based on the rules, I should be running in limited since my car is so heavy. But this is supposed to be fun, so I'm going to run the outlaw class and see how my tank does compared to lighter cars.

"In time"? There isn't even a date set yet as far as I know. You might have plenty of time. lol
Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

I talked to Sam and he said it should be July/August timeframe- so I have a lot to do before then to get a new car ready.

If its not finished, I will just run my 98 ls1 street car with 1-2 stages on it @ 3600lb+ in the limited stock class.

Quick Reply: Stock Shortblock Shootout updates and competitors thread.