Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Project: Stang' Bang: New Edge Turbo Build... class? Track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starting to look like something finally! Getting their, this is of course, all new to me. But i think we are getting through it

Think ill have the seats mounted in position by the end of the weekend, and start figuring out the Holley HP wire routing etc.

No, the front down bars are not welded to the floor plates yet, im contemplating doing 2x3 outriggers up front as well. Bruce from Lucas oil, tech guy, said i dont have to, 6x6 plates are fine up front, only the hoop needed out riggers.

Anyway, heres a few pics

Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Decided to change my down pipe and put it out the bumper on the passenger side, the plugs and wires were going to be WAY to close to the exhaust going the original way.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the new down pipe
Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks Dave!

Im liking it too, ill probably get it close to being out the bumper so we can get an o2 bung in their, but i think ill wait until the fender is on before taking it the rest of the way, i could hang the bumper, but since it mounts to the fender too, wanna make sure its perfect.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

had about an hour to knock out a task, well, i still need to cut the holes, but i did trim to fit, and weld on the new flange and tack in place for a photo op

Had i had another 1 7/8" 180*, i may have wrapped the back one around over top and made it stick straight out like the other one, thought that would look pretty sick, i may still even do that.

Hows this for wastegate placement?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Veteran

We were so close to starting the car this weekend, but wouldnt ya know, we didnt have the two bolts that hold the starter in and couldnt find them anywhere! lol. I ALMOST pilfered the ones from my GTO, lmao.

Anyway, lots of small mundane tasks knocked out, battery and fuel cell mounted, fuel lines plumbed, positive cable is ran to the front, I NEED AN F-BODY WATER PUMP THAT WORKS, Holley is mounted, harness is ran to the inside, i bought some 10 gauge generator wire that has 3 wires in it, and is wrapped in very thick rubber, this should be perfect for the direct positive and grounds for the holley and the fuel pump relay wire, all wrapped together running under the carpet.

Made brackets for the big *** Holley Coils and mounted them in the best way i could see fit, i honestly just couldnt see a better way of doing it, ive ordered another plug wire kit, to help with cleaning it up, i will run 2 over each corner and it will look very uniform when its done, basically the passenger side on the driver side.

This week i have to build a bracket/stand for the oil return to rest on and then finish wiring the car and building a Cold side, also ordering the 33spline spool/axle and clip elim package from Moser today.

Start up vids to follow soon. Best i can tell, turbo kit is mounted for the last time, i used Copper RTV so i hope its on for awhile, lol.. all gaskets installed, new MLS exhaust gaskets installed, she is getting close.

Yes, i will clean up the engine bay, i wont pull everything to paint until the car goes back under the knife this fall.

Few things left to do:

Build Firewall in back of car, plus patch some holes up front
cold side
oil pump mount
wiring
clean up core support
mount and plumb map sensor and all associated vac/boost lines
cooling setup
order Holley 120#low z Inj.
mount shifter,

bunch of small tasks here and their, but we WILL start the engine this week and get it learning.

Anyway, few pics.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

boy the in floor frame connectors are a pita
Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bad6as
boy the in floor frame connectors are a pita
To be 100% honest, they were no where near as bad as we thought they would be.

None the less, they did take some time, alot of trimming, fitting, trimming and fitting type thing.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Teching In

thanx bad alot of time and welding went in to them but not to bad except for my arms getting burnt from all the welding lol
Old 05-05-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Pressing on... Did i mention how much i hate wires? DAMN!

Made the kirkey Seat mounting frames, spent the day wiring the car. Gotta wire up the gauges and mount the oil return, and we should be able to run her around the neighborhood

Anyway, few pics from today, maybe we'll start her tomorrow, maybe not, kind of burned out for the moment.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Only One picture tonight...

Spent the entire day working out a few electrical gremlins that we just knew would be their with myself doing all the wiring for the entire car...

Regardless, got the oil return pump mounted, plumbed and wired, and its working, especially when their is oil pumping through it :mrgreen:

I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with LS2Formula and he got me squared away real fast! If you are watching the entire vid, you will here my half drunken *** talking to him working my way through the HP EFI, which by the way, simply amazing, it was so simple, i had the cam sensor wrong, i had it set to the lsx4, ls2 style, instead of the early ls1, single pulse style.

BIG THANKS TO STEVE! Really appreciate the insight bro! Thanks!

anyway, it finally lives, now we can tackle house keeping, brake system, and finish the other wires, headlights, brake lights, blinkers, and power windows and radio

Click link, fast forward to 2:15 for the good stuff...

Forgive the screaming lol, i was ecstatic! And my 3 year old son was loving it, you hear him at the end as well. lol. We love our cars around here

Oh, also forgive the names we call each other, we give each other **** all the time, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkAePOtG4AA

Last edited by JAX04; 05-06-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

I assume you will be competing in NMCA Real Street? I would keep that Borg, throw in some rods and pistons, and have fun!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:18 PM
9 Second Club

Congrats on getting her fired up! Will be waiting for some track results
Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
I assume you will be competing in NMCA Real Street? I would keep that Borg, throw in some rods and pistons, and have fun!
Well, i actually, bought, torn down and built/building this car for a specific class here, Muscle Street, its very similar to RS. However, our series, Indy Rage, has been shut down and we no longer have a series to race in.

So i basically decided to take a step back and slow down and really take my time now, since we arent pressed for time any longer.

At the moment, the plan is to just get it finished up, get it running, go to Muncie, make some passes and learn. Since i dont have anything real close, someone had brought up OL 8.5 in Cincinnati, we make look at that when we get closer.

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
Congrats on getting her fired up! Will be waiting for some track results
Thanks man! We are excited to get her out, im very curious as to what this thing will weigh, since at the moment, i dont have to worry about weight, we may just leave it alone and see where it ends up.

Def keep everyone updated!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

After some installer error related transmission trouble and thinking my **** was fried...

stupid manual valve...

http://youtu.be/2bfGHlXY8F0
Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Video says it's private
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

fixed the link, sorry guys
Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Well aside from the fact that i cannot get the dang thing to idle worth a ****, it runs great. Has no problem driving the road, rolling the tires at will, etc. lol. Changed the springs in the gates to like 9. what ever springs, green precision springs.

Drives good, needs aligned, need to bleed the brakes some more, adjust the shifter cable and get an actual trans brake button. Other then that, i cannot complain to much, def a different feeling driving a car with manual brakes, never did that until now.

Anywho, drove it down our street about 10 times, the guy at the end enticed me to light them up, probably rolling about 15mph, and layed into the trottle and they just lit up.

Im also pretty sure i will be sending this converter off to PTC, or just getting a new PTC converter, its WAY to tight, i cant foot brake it up very high before it pushes through the brakes, and im new to trans brakes so i have no long how long i sit on the brake, however, i can only imagine that i shouldnt be on it very long.

Anywho, keep plugging away at it and trying to get it to idle...
Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Well the car is running, been driving it around the neighborhood for a week or two now, had some small issues with the idle tuning, but thanks to Los, we got her all good to roll now, car drives great, learns well, needs a much looser converter and think we may advance the cam a touch

Old 06-30-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

So Dave came over and we mounted the radiator back in with the new shroud setup, and we also mounted the Terminator front bumper, i really love this bumper alot!

It is now plated and insured, just need to snag a door for the driver side, and mount the harnesses, im really trying to make the dyno day!

Just a few quick pics, we are going to do a lip on the front bumper as well.

Quick Reply: Project: Stang' Bang: New Edge Turbo Build... class? Track?