Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

scavenge pump mounting and drain line help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default scavenge pump mounting and drain line help

Hey guys I've been looking into it a bit but haven found everything I was hoping to find on the subject so I'm posting up.

I've been looking at scavenge pumps for my twin setup and was wondering about the setup. I know the consensus is to go big on the drain lines, -10an or -12an but does this hold true for scavenge setups as well?

I was initially hoping to get a mechanical pump but information on mechanical pumps seems scarce and the pumps I have seen seem pricey (which might be the reason the first hand info on them is scarce). I'm thinking about just biting the bullet on a turbowerx exa pump. The pump comes available with -10an fittings at the largest. If I have 2 -10an lines T'd into the intake side of the pump's -10an line will that cause any issues since there is no increase in line diameter after the 2 lines join?

Also since the pump would have 1 -10an exit line, would you recommend T'ing that into 2 separate lines routed back to my current drain fittings in the oil pan or cap one off and just route the oil return through one of my current oil drain barbs on the pan?

Furthermore how are you guys with scavenge pumps mounting these. I take it the pump needs to be lower than the turbos to function optimally. Where's an ideal mounting spot and how are you guys routing things (lines to pump, lines to drain tank then pump etc.)

TIA for any help.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Also, if you've got pics post them up please. I'd love to get some ideas before getting into this.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

I can help you with the subject.

I have a -10an from each turbo that Y into 1 line to the TurboWerx Exa pump. On the outlet side, It is one -10an line with a check valve to the return port. I mounted my scavenge pump on the front of the K-member. Its a C5 corvette, so it may be different from yours, but I'd say its about even or slightly higher than the turbo drains. I know people who have mounted them somewhere on the front frame rail with no ill-effects, too.

I had smoking issues with the stock APS stuff and decided to address it with these upgrades. It cured all my smoking issues and seems to do the job as far as evacuating the oil from the turbos.

HTH
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome, that is what I like to hear. My kit is an aps as well and my turbos smoke on WOT not much but enough to worry me.

Question, you have yours mounted in front of the turbos, would it be better to mount it behind so under WOT when the nose lifts up gravity works with the pump or does the scavenge pump do a good job of sucking the oil regardless of going against gravity?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 PM
9 Second Club

You can mount the TurboWerx Exa-pump higher than your turbo's drain and it will work fine. I have a front mount turbo on my 01 WS6 with a small vented catch can mounted under the turbo. I'm using a TurboWerx Exa-pump mounted in the stock battery location with no issues. Without a catch can / scavenge pump I was having smoking issues.
Attached Thumbnails scavenge pump mounting and drain line help-picture-054.jpg   scavenge pump mounting and drain line help-picture-057.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Launching!

I have an -8 going into my Weldon scavenge pump and a -6 out. No problems. -10 out of the pump is way overkill.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hotrod406
-10 out of the pump is way overkill.
Got any info to back that up?

IMO, it's not overkill judging by the amount of oil that is flowing through it.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
Got any info to back that up?

IMO, it's not overkill judging by the amount of oil that is flowing through it.
-10 line is huge. You need it for the aerated oil coming out of the turbo but the oil going out of the pump is not frothy like that. A big line won't hurt anything obviously it's just more expensive and harder to work with. -08 would be plenty for twins.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

I'm using a single turboworx exa, -10 from turbo to pump and -10 back to pan. Rearmount turbo, and pump is about 7 inches higher than my turbo
Old 09-18-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hotrod406
-10 line is huge. You need it for the aerated oil coming out of the turbo but the oil going out of the pump is not frothy like that. A big line won't hurt anything obviously it's just more expensive and harder to work with. -08 would be plenty for twins.
It sounds like you would think 3/8" hardline from the pump to the pan would be okay for a single rearmount then?

On further thought though..... With all of the effort to keep the pressure down to the minimum in the crank case, maybe it's not a good idea to inject the return oil directly into the crank case from a powerful pump? Maybe it would be better to inject it into a vented catch can near the engine that has a really massive drain line from the can down into the pan? Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

http://vtsql.gkvbf.servertrust.com/T...-kit-p/787.htm

drains perfectly
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the catch can before the pump necessary? What's the idea of using the can?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

I run 6an line from the pump directly to the valve cover. Absolutely NO problems.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

have a question for you guys, would a check valve be ok to run post scavenger like a summit racing 10 an check valve with a 2psi cracking pressure? just wonderin if this would help keep oil from draining back into the turbo from the line itself?

Oh and i have a 4an feed and a 10 an return from the back of my car to the front.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
have a question for you guys, would a check valve be ok to run post scavenger like a summit racing 10 an check valve with a 2psi cracking pressure? just wonderin if this would help keep oil from draining back into the turbo from the line itself?

Oh and i have a 4an feed and a 10 an return from the back of my car to the front.
Put the check valve in the pressure line. Oil will back up into the turbo while the engine is running if you put it in the drain line.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

I already have a feed side check valve that's flowing with the oil so that when the engine is off, no oil seeps into the turbo.

what I was getting at is would a check valve after the scavenger do the same on shut down and would it be ok to run after the scavenger since its pressure output is significantly lower then the engines pressure output. im not sure how much pressure the scavenger can create.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
I already have a feed side check valve that's flowing with the oil so that when the engine is off, no oil seeps into the turbo.

what I was getting at is would a check valve after the scavenger do the same on shut down and would it be ok to run after the scavenger since its pressure output is significantly lower then the engines pressure output. im not sure how much pressure the scavenger can create.
Oh, yes, you can do that on the output side of the scavenge pump.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Is it essential to have a small collector for the pump to pick up from ?

And I see some mention, their collector also has a vent line ? Is that essential ?

Yet others Ive seen pictures of, just tee the turbo lines then run them directly to the pump. So does that work ?

And as the pump is actually pushing the oil back into the engine, I'd see no reason to go for a huge diameter hose.
Even the line from collector to pump could probably be -6 or -8 with no issues, especially if the hose is long. Less chance of the pump trying to suck air if the hose is a smaller diameter.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

I have Turbo Werx pump mounted in the rear, right behind the diff on a C5 with two -10 lines coming in from a T and a -6 going back to the valve cover. I do have a check valve on each turbo, without it the oil will drain past the seals and blow out the exhaust. One way that may possibly fix that without check valves is to have the scavenge pump run on a turbo timer or something for maybe 30 seconds after the car is off to suck the oil out of the turbos, but then they might be a little dry on startup.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

ok, good to know. ill be installing a check valve on the outlet side of the scavenger asap

Quick Reply: scavenge pump mounting and drain line help