Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

any custom procharger duel intercooler setups out there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any custom procharger duel intercooler setups out there?

Been thinking about taking my current duel intercooler setup and making a custom (duel) FMI setup. As in taking the two small procharger supplied intercoolers and mounting them verticly, insted of the current horizontal setup. I think it would be different (unique) and be able to get more cooling from the 2 holes that are already in the front bumber. I would'nt even have to cut my front bumper at all because they are pretty much the perfect size. Has anyone else done this?...if so please post pics because I could use some help with the hoses/pipes. And YES I know it would be much easier to fix up a single FMI, just thought it may be interesting to try and to have.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Banned

soooo, nobody has done this yet?..can't be true. Too many creative ppl out there on this site for this not to have been done or attempted yet.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, guys upgrade the dual intercoolers and go straight to a FMIC setup because it's more efficient for cooling and reducing flow restriction.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Sell the twins and go fmic!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned

+3 FMIC.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about this same idea about 6 months ago but never looked into the exacution of it. Give it a shot..Whats the worst that could happer, end up with a fmic..
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The twins for me where good for about 1 WOT blast in the Texas heat. I switched to a front mount and all my worries and heat soak dissappeared.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
The twins for me where good for about 1 WOT blast in the Texas heat. I switched to a front mount and all my worries and heat soak dissappeared.
yeah, I have water /meth injection as well ( a 50/50 mix) so that helps alot with the heat. I think the one big reason that keeps them from cooling as much as a front mount is the fact the duel's mount horizonatally instead of vertically. Obviously the intercoolers are laying in a fashion that does'nt allow them maximum cooling and maximum air to flow over them. I think you guys would be like "wow" if I did manage to mount them up vertically and behind the two untouched stock holes in the front bumper. I have completely removed my front bumber support and made a custom bumper support that weighs only like 5 pounds lol. well, it's not much of a support really (it would'nt help in a crash at all) but I took a quater in peice of steel about 2 inches tall and drilled two holes up on each side in order to bolt directly up to the holes from the bumper support. I saved alot of weight off the front end all without loosing any strenth. I think that peice of steel would make a great mount for those twin intercoolers lol
Old 01-01-2012, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put 3" ends on a set of them and put in my LTD so I could hide them better, I ran them in series, straight out of one into the other about a foot apart. The iats were high, I put meth on it and it was fine. I ended up switching to a 31x12x3 intercooler and the iats dropped roughly 50 degrees. I still have those intercoolers if you are interested, could then keep yours intact so don't have to cut them up and would have the bigger 3" ends. I went 142mph with them in my 3700lb ltd.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Location: Weatherford Tx 76085 corner of N. Hwy 51 and 150 Green branch Rd.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind but this is what I did with mine. Ignore the pic this was an old setup. i just did a quick draw up of how I had the twins , I never took pics. of it though.
I ran it with just a single pipe instead of using the "Y" pipe procharger provides.
I'm now running a Single front mount on mine.

Attached Thumbnails any custom procharger duel intercooler setups out there?-draw-up-twin-procharger-intercoolers.jpg   any custom procharger duel intercooler setups out there?-ernies-camaro-pics-166-.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My front mount I have now gets more air than these did, these were directly behind my bumper so I'm not sure it's an accurate comparision of these vs the front mount IAT's I mentioned earlier.

Here is a pic of how we did mine...

Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skinnies
My front mount I have now gets more air than these did, these were directly behind my bumper so I'm not sure it's an accurate comparision of these vs the front mount IAT's I mentioned earlier.

Here is a pic of how we did mine...

very very awesome pics and info you have there. I had something else in mind that required even more piping than what you showed. Your way is much more simple and if I decide to go this route of twin front mounts, then I will do it the way you showed. Thanks much
Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 AM
11 Second Club

I guess I'm confused to why bother do twin front mounts? Just to be different? Obviously a single front mount will have better cooling and will be less restrictive so why go twin?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Even if you didn't cut out any of the front bumper, a single front mount is going to help cool better from more surface area that is able to dissipate heat as a heat sink.

I left my license plate cover on and just had the two fog light openings as cooling and it stayed within 10-15 degrees of ambient even after romping on the throttle through a couple gears and cruising at low speeds through traffic.

Good luck, but I'm just curious what the motivation is to do this.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

twins = [FAIL]
Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

is there any way to run a front mount without tearing apart that foam bumper support thing?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Even if you didn't cut out any of the front bumper, a single front mount is going to help cool better from more surface area that is able to dissipate heat as a heat sink.

I left my license plate cover on and just had the two fog light openings as cooling and it stayed within 10-15 degrees of ambient even after romping on the throttle through a couple gears and cruising at low speeds through traffic.

Good luck, but I'm just curious what the motivation is to do this.
Ehh, my motivation?..Hell if I know man lol. Just thought it may be okay to try it. Yes tho I understand how a single front mount would flow better and cool much better as well. I was just thinking that changing them to being vertical, instead of horizonatal, would provide a lil better cooling than what I have now. I probally will just go to a single FMIC as soon as taxes get here in a few more weeks. I am ust confused on where to buy a kit for a decent price because the one that procharger sells is like 1000+$'s I think. Is there anyone else out there who makes a simple kit for less than 600$ to slap a front mount on these cars? Thanks for the help and info.

Last edited by ilovechevy1; 01-02-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: I'm dumb
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 35thsscamaro02
I guess I'm confused to why bother do twin front mounts? Just to be different? Obviously a single front mount will have better cooling and will be less restrictive so why go twin?
yeah, thought it would sound cool to say " I have twin front mounts" lol. Obviously tho I will probally just do a single FMIC seeing as how you guys are confirming my suspisions that a single would flow better and provide more cooling. I dont' get why procharger even did the twins from the get go. I mean, if they had mounted them vertically then it would'nt look so retarded and would cool better. Guess they figured ppl would buy it cause it kept you from cutting on the car , but they did this without considering performance if you ask me. I wonder what I could sell my duel intercoolers and piping for here on tech?.who would even buy them?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Buy a eBay intercooler they are like 120 bucks then buy a box of universal 3" intercooler piping/clamp/coupling kit on eBay as well cx racing. I did my set up for like 300 bucks

Old 01-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

thanks for the info man. Very helpful indeed. 300 bucks sound alot better than 1000 for the procharger one

Quick Reply: any custom procharger duel intercooler setups out there?