Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Unleashed Performance - 810RWHP, Stock Engine, Oil-less Rear Mount, and E85

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnies
good tune

And one pull on the dyno isnt going to pull it off unless its completely out of whack.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis
And one pull on the dyno isnt going to pull it off unless its completely out of whack.
Well, hardly one pull. If you notice on the dyno graph, it's Dyno Run #102. And it's been turbo'd since run #21. Granted, not at this power level, but by run #35 or so it's been 600+whp. The 711rwhp dyno graph I posted up a few weeks ago on 110 octane was run #65. And since the E85, 80lb injectors, and new cam, the last 30+ pulls have been 780+. I've also been torturing it on the street for the last 800+ miles. Out of town in it right now actually. On the more radial tire friendly 750whp tune, and still pulling down 30mpg on the hwy with the E85. Really loving this stuff!

Originally Posted by Talon77
Dude... serious congrads on this! I saw how fast that thing was last weekend in Cinci, can't believe you've gotten another 100+hp/tq out of it since then! Insane man!! Gotta be pushing some sort of record, lol. Congrads on reaching a whole new level man! Out of this world for a stock block ls motor.
Billy
Thanks Billy! Almost as insane as your "I can do burnouts at 80mph" boosted C6!

Anyone know what the record is for a boosted cam-only LS1? I keep forgetting just how amazing this really is. Because it also still has the stock rear end, stock axles, and stock transmission (non-Z06)!!

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
Good to see the oilless turbos working out for you. Damn good numbers. How is spool on the turbos? What rpm do you hit full boost?
Thank you! Spool up is wicked fast. Without any foot spooling (never even tried that), it makes 10lbs by 3800rpm's. Can't even imagine what it would do with an Auto and a converter!

Originally Posted by JAX04
Great numbers Rob!
Thanks dude!

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Rob,
Did I catch that right on your site that you rear mounted the maf and it's a draw through setup? Interesting, as I can't recall anyone doing a draw through Turbo LS setup.

Yep! Been doing it on LS engines for years. Well, since 2004 anyway. Personally, I just think it makes more sense. But to each his/her own.

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Still running MAF? Give us your opinion on it being a restriction.
Yea, started out with the 2-bar SD, but never been a big fan of it. No other reason than simply personal preference (please, not looking to debate it here ) Using the truck 85mm MAF on the rear. Doesn't seem to be a restriction, .

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
What are the iats looking like? Any chance of just running no ic and just meth and e85. I love how simple this rear mount is, especially if you can get away with no ic.
With ambient at 60 degrees and the IAT sensor mounted in the inlet pipe, just before the TB, iat's start out at about 65 at WOT, then climb to 75 just before the methanol comes on. After that, they drop through-out the pull and typically end up in the mid 50's. I agree on the simplicity, but I just hate relying on methanol. Too many things to potentially go wrong. I've always used methanol as an "insurance" plan, rather than a "requirement".

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I want to know how the ringland on #7 is staying together...lol. I just lost mine at 14psi of boost, but then, I have my rear vent tubes blocked as I'm running a FAST intake.
Honestly, I don't expect it will be for long. Just seeing what this thing can do before we stick an ERL engine in it. That sucks you lost yours!! Just an opportunity to go faster now I guess?

Originally Posted by skinnies
good tune
Thanks man!! Fwiw, I've been watching your RX7 build since the beginning!! GREAT WORK!!! Also, the 2nd car I ever owned was a 1980 RX-7 "Targa 7". I've had probably 6-8 more since then. And I've wanted to do a Turbo LS FD forever, but never could afford it. Anyway, that's why I'm such a fan of your build!

I think that answers most of the questions. Won't have too much more to report over the next few weeks. We're ripping the vinyl off on Monday, throwing on some L5 quarters, and laying down some new paint. Gonna use the downtime to fab up a FMIC, then pull the kit off the car and make jigs for all of the piping. After that, we'll have everything coated and do away with the heat wrap.

Speaking of L5 quarters, we're gonna end up doing some different custom wheels. So the 3 piece SSR wheels on the car now will be for sale later in the week. They are 18x9.5's & 19x11.5's, with BFG G-Force tires all the way around. The front's are BRAND NEW (2 weeks old), and the rear's have about 8k on them and still have pretty deep tread left. No price yet, but open to offers or even trades!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! It's really good to be back on here and active again. Thanks for all the support everyone!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

track times soon...? not sure whats close and open... 4-5 weeks locals should be
Old 01-22-2012, 06:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Raymer@Unleashed
Well, hardly one pull. If you notice on the dyno graph, it's Dyno Run #102. And it's been turbo'd since run #21. Granted, not at this power level, but by run #35 or so it's been 600+whp. The 711rwhp dyno graph I posted up a few weeks ago on 110 octane was run #65. And since the E85, 80lb injectors, and new cam, the last 30+ pulls have been 780+. I've also been torturing it on the street for the last 800+ miles. Out of town in it right now actually. On the more radial tire friendly 750whp tune, and still pulling down 30mpg on the hwy with the E85. Really loving this stuff!

Honestly, I don't expect it will be for long. Just seeing what this thing can do before we stick an ERL engine in it. That sucks you lost yours!! Just an opportunity to go faster now I guess?

Seeing that you're running methanol injection, as well as E85 explains a lot. I'm going under the impression that what did me in was just too much heat and too tight of a ring gap on the stock piston. My rear steam vents are capped, causing extra heat, and running just straight pump gas. Pump gas runs a lot hotter than E85 or even having the methanol to help cool things was what I think did me in, that and pushing 14psi on a stock motor. I keep hearing people say "safe tune" but I was only seeing 13-14 degrees of timing, and air/fuel was in the mid to high 10s, so it wasn't exactly lean or excessive timing.

But just like you said, time to go forged, and I'll be puting a methanol kit on it as well as steam tubes in the rear to help control excessive temps. I plan to upgrade my injectors to 80s and have them flow tested and put the higher flowing ones in the rear.

Live and learn I guess, and that's what I'm trying to do is learn from my mistakes.

Who knows, maybe the really cold IAT's made for a much denser air charge and it was just too much power for the pistons.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome results! Question on these turbos tho. Can you mount them in any orientation or do they need to be horizontal?
Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
Awesome results! Question on these turbos tho. Can you mount them in any orientation or do they need to be horizontal?
Any orientation but with where they mount it it would have ground clearance issue and no room for a filter
Old 01-22-2012, 02:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BLWN1
track times soon...? not sure whats close and open... 4-5 weeks locals should be
Yea, hopefully! Trying to get the car ready for Carl Casper's Auto Show next month. Then, right after that, we're planning on taking it to Beech Bend when they open.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When do you think you will start turning these kits out Rob? I have a buddy with and auto c5 that we just put headers on and now he wants to put one of your kits on his vette like ASAP. I guess we will be taking the heades back off.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:39 PM
FormerVendor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
When do you think you will start turning these kits out Rob? I have a buddy with and auto c5 that we just put headers on and now he wants to put one of your kits on his vette like ASAP. I guess we will be taking the heades back off.
Well, just being 100% honest, it'll probably be at least 60-90 days from now before I'll be ready to pull the trigger on selling these "systems". Technically, we could start building them tomorrow. But I want to personally put the entire kit through some serious torture first.

Since first putting the turbo on the car, I've logged over 1200 street miles. The first 300 or so at 575rwhp. The next 500 miles were with E85 and at 711rwhp (I should point out that 300 of those miles were in the rain and snow). The last 400+ miles were put on this past weekend with it "dialed down" to 780ish rwhp. And again, in the rain and snow, but loaded down with a couple hundred lbs of luggage (yes, my gf can squeeze that much stuff into a FRC! Pics to prove it, lol). On that road trip alone we drove over 100 miles away, sat in stop-n-go interstate construction traffic for over an hour, straddled nearly every kind of roadkill (maybe even a chupacabra?), dodged enormous strips of semi-truck tire tread, raced a new Audi from 80mph to 150mph while simultaneously re-paving the highway with fresh rubber, followed by a climbing expedition over gargantuan speed bumps in our hotel parking lot. So, we haven't quite tested it out in every possible scenario, but we're getting close.

One more thing, and this may be a deal breaker for your buddy. We aren't going to offer this in a "kit form". It will be sold only as a "turn-key turbo system". Built, installed, and tuned completely in-house. About 10 years ago, a really wise man told me, "Rob, don't ever sell a kit! Because nobody will ever assemble it, install it, tune it, or know it as well as you." And MAN was he right!! -RIP John Lingenfelter
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

About time you got back to work Rob
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

I'll have to make the trip down to the shop once I get my TA up and running. That Vette is a beast!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

So is that good power for that size turbo on a vette? or just average?
Is this a new billet wheel? Sorry if I missed it.

Do you think a pte unit would make more power? Just asking because there is not much info on the Comp units.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Reckless
About time you got back to work Rob
You ain't kiddin! Though, to be honest, I haven't really ever quit doing LSx tuning. In fact, I've spent the last few years tuning Dodge and Ford vehicles with SCT and Diablo too. I just haven't had my own shop in about 7 years! Can you believe it's been that long??? I remember in the early LS1 days when I was considered a "young pioneer". Now I'm just "some old fart".

Originally Posted by Badmeat
I'll have to make the trip down to the shop once I get my TA up and running. That Vette is a beast!
Come on down!! We've got a lot of cool stuff going on in the shop right now. Putting turbo's on a couple of new camaro's, another turbo going on a vette, a 750+rwhp GT42-76 turbo Lightning truck, a custom twin turbo build on a Viper, and probably gonna change the oil on my '98 Buick Park Avenue this week (you won't wanna miss that!).

Originally Posted by spoolin turbo
So is that good power for that size turbo on a vette? or just average?
Is this a new billet wheel? Sorry if I missed it.

Do you think a pte unit would make more power? Just asking because there is not much info on the Comp units.
Well, I think so. The coolest part about it is the fact that it's so versatile. This is a dual ball bearing, billet wheel, 1200cfm turbo, capable of 1200ish HP. Yet, even at low boost, it makes great power (550+rwhp @ 7-8lbs) and spools faster than most smaller, "traditional" BB turbo's. Even in its' rear mount configuration.
As far as comparing it to a pte unit, I really don't know. PTE makes some really nice turbo's. I've been running them for over 20 years myself. But this new Comp Oil-Less turbo really is a different animal. Being oil-less, I'm not sure we're comparing apples to apples.

Anywho, I'll be uploading some better pics of the system within the next hour or so.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Banned

About 10 years ago, a really wise man told me,"Rob, don't ever sell a kit! Because nobody will ever assemble it, install it, tune it, or know it as well as you."
I heard that one too. Go figure....
Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 AM
FormerVendor

Smile

Here are a few pics of the final tip design. There are more on our website.

Feel free to voice your opinions....good or bad.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 AM
FormerVendor

One more, then I'm going to bed.

This pic is from our roadtrip this past weekend. Told ya my gf could fit 200lbs of luggage in a C5 FRC....

Old 01-25-2012, 05:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on everything, I can tell you are very excited! Nice to see someone on these boards with some positive emotion I noticed you were running the torquer cam a switched to a custom cam. If you don't mind what are some rough specs on the new cam and did it increase spool or hp over the torquer cam? I run a N/A cam with decent overlap and have been debating if a turbo cam is really worth swapping out.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

.... Well, I think so. The coolest part about it is the fact that it's so versatile. This is a dual ball bearing, billet wheel, 1200cfm turbo, capable of 1200ish HP. Yet, even at low boost, it makes great power (550+rwhp @ 7-8lbs) and spools faster than most smaller, "traditional" BB turbo's. Even in its' rear mount configuration.
As far as comparing it to a pte unit, I really don't know. PTE makes some really nice turbo's. I've been running them for over 20 years myself. But this new Comp Oil-Less turbo really is a different animal. Being oil-less, I'm not sure we're comparing apples to apples.

Anywho, I'll be uploading some better pics of the system within the next hour or so.
Well oiless or oil in there has nothing to do with the power output of the unit. Thats more in the wheels/housings. I would be in for a back to back vs a pte unit.

Also the Comp 79mm turbine is measured on the inducer side. A Pte unit is 84 or 82mm on the inducer side iirc.

Not many running Comp units out there, but ive made over 1000rwhp out of a 74mm from a 2JZ on race gas, no E85. Seems to make similar power to pte7675 billets, just never seen a back to back.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,

I am not into the car thing any longer and so I no longer frequent these forums but fwiw (if anything at all to you) I wanted to tell you congrats on the new place, looks great! Also the car, kit and it's performance are flat out amazing! Hope you can forgive all the ignoramus-ness-full I gave you back in the day...I guess we all know I'm not smart enough or skilled enough to hang with you pros lol. It's ok, the first step is admitting it right?
Goodluck with the car and your shop. In a weird but non-gay way, it's good to see you back on the forums sharing your inventiveness.

P.S. the end of the world is coming but we do not know the time nor the hour, or so it is written, so enjoy your birthday without fear ;-)

Ok car guys, sorry for the interruption, carry on, I'm out.

God bless,

-Jarrod
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rice etr
rob,

i am not into the car thing any longer and so i no longer frequent these forums but fwiw (if anything at all to you) i wanted to tell you congrats on the new place, looks great! Also the car, kit and it's performance are flat out amazing! Hope you can forgive all the ignoramus-ness-full i gave you back in the day...i guess we all know i'm not smart enough or skilled enough to hang with you pros lol. It's ok, the first step is admitting it right?
Goodluck with the car and your shop. In a weird but non-gay way, it's good to see you back on the forums sharing your inventiveness.

P.s. The end of the world is coming but we do not know the time nor the hour, or so it is written, so enjoy your birthday without fear ;-)

ok car guys, sorry for the interruption, carry on, i'm out.

God bless,

-jarrod
he's alive, he's still alive i don't believe it!!!!

Quick Reply: Unleashed Performance - 810RWHP, Stock Engine, Oil-less Rear Mount, and E85