Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Firehawk build up V 3.0 AES 385 and S88

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent. Thanks. I know what I need to do. I just need to spend a little more time on it. Last night my main objective what to get it running and get the oil changed and a good heat cycle in it. Now I can worry about putting all the other stuff together and get it road worthy so I can focus on going out and tuning it
Old 05-26-2012, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
PM sent. Thanks. I know what I need to do. I just need to spend a little more time on it. Last night my main objective what to get it running and get the oil changed and a good heat cycle in it. Now I can worry about putting all the other stuff together and get it road worthy so I can focus on going out and tuning it
I sent my tune over. hope it helps.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I sent my tune over. hope it helps.
Thanks the tune helped a little. Also thanks for helping be get all the correction stuff to conver my Wideband to read E85 stoick on HTP.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Well I haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked so far this weekend but I am very close. Thanks again 98Camarod for helping me out with some of the HTP issues I has having with getting set up to log E85. I now have all my config files set up to get my VE tables all dialed in.

I did get most of the body pannels back on the car. I just need to reinstall the front facia and inner fender liners. Then all that is left to put together is wire up all the gauges in the car but that is vey simple. I am hoping to get most of that done today. I am hoping to be out tuning the car Tuesday and Wednesday night getting it ready for are local Street rod weekend coming up.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks the tune helped a little. Also thanks for helping be get all the correction stuff to conver my Wideband to read E85 stoick on HTP.
No problem man. This f'in tropical storm has ruined the memorial day weekend here. Hopefully it's gone in time for some TnT on Wednesday. It's headed up north now, so your next
Old 05-28-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build Dan. I am using a lot of your ideas on my build. I like the turbo brace going across the frame rails. I am building one out of 1"x1" square tubing. I also like the wastegate idea. I might have to copy it on mine for ideal placement. Mine is a tight squeeze with a gt91, a 66mm presicion wastegate and keeping ac.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Nice build Dan. I am using a lot of your ideas on my build. I like the turbo brace going across the frame rails. I am building one out of 1"x1" square tubing. I also like the wastegate idea. I might have to copy it on mine for ideal placement. Mine is a tight squeeze with a gt91, a 66mm presicion wastegate and keeping ac.
Thanks,

I would however recomend using a 1" round bar for the support over the square tube. I built mine out of square tube first and it flexed more than I like. So I rebuild it using round bar and it has less flex than the square tube of the same size did.

I don't think the GT91 is much bigger if at all than my S88. I have seen 1fastbirds Gt91 and I think they are about the same size. You might want to look at his build thread. His cross brave bolts between the frame rails where mine bolts to the top of the rame rail.

Good luck with your build.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

The tubing I have is a very thick wall and I can't get it to flex at all, I will try it and see what it does. What size are the two smaller pipes on the waste gate merge?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

Best thing to do is see how it flexes across a gap that is the same as the frame rails.

The waste gate merge is two 1.5 inches that are blended into a 2 inch pipe that feeds my waste gate.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Best thing to do is see how it flexes across a gap that is the same as the frame rails.

The waste gate merge is two 1.5 inches that are blended into a 2 inch pipe that feeds my waste gate.
I took the bar that I cut to go inside the frame rails and put it on some 2x4's and stood on it. I weigh 250ish and it didnt flex on me so I think it will run. I think I am going to do the 2 small pipes into 1 for a wastegate merge. I can't get the wastegate angle I want with just 1 pipe coming off the center of the merge. I will start with a build thread soon. I have some tricks and different ideas on a bunch of things that I am doing. Thanks for all the good info that you have provided. Oh, Btw, what type of dealership do you work in? Has it picked up? I work for MB and the flood gates opened this past week.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

I took the bar that I cut to go inside the frame rails and put it on some 2x4's and stood on it. I weigh 250ish and it didnt flex on me so I think it will run. I think I am going to do the 2 small pipes into 1 for a wastegate merge. I can't get the wastegate angle I want with just 1 pipe coming off the center of the merge. I will start with a build thread soon. I have some tricks and different ideas on a bunch of things that I am doing. Thanks for all the good info that you have provided. Oh, Btw, what type of dealership do you work in? Has it picked up? I work for MB and the flood gates opened this past week.
Cool. Yeah do as much reading and looking around at other builds as you can. I wish I had done more looking around before doing my first turbo build. I learned alot from it though. I am MUCH happier with my current kit than my old one.

I work at a Buick GMC dealership. We haven't really picked up like we should have. Basicly every month we have been slow the first 2 weeks of the month then the last 2 weeks are were they should be. It is killing me getting one good check and one shitty check every month. Side work has been the only thing to save me. But I havn't even had much of that this year either. Although most everyone else I have talked to that works at domestic dealerships have been slow as well.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Well the exterior of the car is all back together. Now I just need to wire up all the gauges and my Meth kit then it will be all back together. I should be able to start tuning the car tomorrow night. I did take it for a spin around the block today and washed the car. It felt good to be behind the wheel again. Also I really am liking the way the car looks with the gray engine bay.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Cool. Yeah do as much reading and looking around at other builds as you can. I wish I had done more looking around before doing my first turbo build. I learned alot from it though. I am MUCH happier with my current kit than my old one.

I work at a Buick GMC dealership. We haven't really picked up like we should have. Basicly every month we have been slow the first 2 weeks of the month then the last 2 weeks are were they should be. It is killing me getting one good check and one shitty check every month. Side work has been the only thing to save me. But I havn't even had much of that this year either. Although most everyone else I have talked to that works at domestic dealerships have been slow as well.
I went from a Procharger to a turbo like you. This is my first turbo build so yeah, lots of learning. I have been high line for the last 10 years. I did Bmw for 9 years and been with Mb for 8 months. We had a couple of weeks that were slow this year, but have been booming most of the year. I hope for your sake it picks up. Usually summertime is busy. I am tired of flat rate and made the decision 2 years ago to go to school and get the f out of this business.

Last edited by Cam72aro; 05-28-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

I went from a Procharger to a turbo like you. This is my first turbo build so yeah, lots of learning. I have been high line for the last 10 years. I did Bmw for 9 years and been with Mb for 8 months. We had a couple of weeks that were slow this year, but have been booming most of the year. I hope r sake for your sake it picks up. Usually summertime is busy. I am tired of flat rate and made the decision 2 years ago to go to school and get the f out of this business.

I have worked at 3 different GM dealers over the last 9 years. I really enjoy working like this and like getting paid flat rate. But this is the worst I have seen it in the all of my 9 years in the industry. Even the guys that I worked with in the past that are in a larger city than I am now are slow. It just sucks all around
Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Well I took that car out for its maiden Voyage last night. I have lots of tunning to work on and I had one of my tables setup wrong that I couldn't make changes like I planned. I fixed the table after I got home but I am done for the night.

Car feels really stong. Throttle responce out of boost is GREAT and the turbo seems to spool fast. And I haven't even added any timing from my old gas tune with the old motor. I only rolled into the throttle a couple times and got out of it once it saw 1-2psi of boost.

I can't wait to get all the kinks worked out and really lay into this thing
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car looks good man. Do you know the hp rating between ur s88 and my s85?

whats your race weight
Old 05-31-2012, 05:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSXFORMULA99
car looks good man. Do you know the hp rating between ur s88 and my s85?

whats your race weight
I have no idea what the hp ratings are for the two turbos.

I am also hoping to have my race weight down to around 3450.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 AM
9 Second Club

Get the kinks out before saturday!!!!! Congrats Dan !!!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

glad to see it coming together, I've followed this build and have really enjoyed it.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
Get the kinks out before saturday!!!!! Congrats Dan !!!
Originally Posted by mike13
glad to see it coming together, I've followed this build and have really enjoyed it.
Thanks guys. I have my car in at work today to inspect it, change the oik again, and align it. I will be ready to start leaning on this thing over the weekend

Quick Reply: Turbo Firehawk build up V 3.0 AES 385 and S88