Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 S480 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 04:08 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 78buturbo
Nice I hear good things about the leash products,
Me too I was going to get the combo boost controller but 750 was more than I wanted to spend
Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by douglee25
Can you clue me in on what that is?

Doug
Sure. What it does is help you stage the car. Say your at the first beam on the transbrake, you use the pulse to "bump" you into the second beam. Most Turbo cars take a little bit to spool so if your on the second beam and you sit there spooling tthe turbo the light is green and your still waiting. While the other car is already going down the track. It really doesn't matter unless your competing I just wanted something since I have stock ish brakes and it can't hold this car for **** so ill be fully into boost and just slowly bump it into the second light and take off. There's videos on it just type it in YouTube
Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Doug,

It is what is known as a "bump box". What happens is a pulse width modulated signal is sent from this box to his trans brake solenoid. Depending on the PWM frequencies determines how far the car "bumps" into the beams with each bump of the "bump button" in the car.

Instead of having to spool your turbo on the footbrake, which normally needs a set of dual rear calipers when you're making big power to hold it in place....you can spool on your trans brake and then bump into the beams once your boost is built.

A lot of test and tune racers just pull in light both beams and sit on the trans brake until they have enough boost built to launch. IMO these guys will never be able to race anyone and will never be able to practice cutting a good light and staging consistently. I know most guys will say, "I don't have a race car and I don't plan on racing competitively so it doesn't matter to me."

Well, what happens when that cocky guy with a Mustang at the track calls you out one day and wants to run you? You going to sit on the trans brake all day long while he tears your front bumper off from dragging you down the track? You think he's going to wait on your car until you leave and let you leave first because you can't build any boost to save your life on the foot brake and cut a good light?

I feel like a lot of turbo guys sell themselves short in racing by doing what I just said. I feel that they should either learn to tune their car properly to get it to spool quickly and easily on the foot brake or run a bump box. Then be able to bump into the 2nd light instead of sitting on their trans brake. Even running the bump box I feel that they should still learn how to properly build boost by manipulating timing and air fuel ratios in their tune.

These bump boxes will help tremendously so that they can pull into the first light, press and hold their trans brake button while flooring the car getting it to spool very easily and quickly. Then they will tap their bump button once or twice to "bump" the car into the beams while still holding their trans brake button. Once that last yellow flashes let go of the trans brake button and hang on!

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 06-14-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM
8 Second Club

Oh exactly my point Martin I only made 5 passes and I knew to buy this right away. I can build enough boost just sitting at the second light but I want to be able to use a pro tree eventually. I build 10psi on the brake within 3-4 seconds if I want to. Just like you said you can play with afrs to build it quicker. That's why I have hp tuners in the first place. But with the twin scroll the cam you specd for me and this billet wheel I'm getting it will spool even quicker!!! The leash box is just going to make it nicer to stage I hated footbraking it into the second beam and once I rolled over the beams I said screw this haha I'd rather leave with 0 boost than sit there while a 14 second civic gets a 1 second head start on me.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Now put this thing in the 9's!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think Im going to need some also!
Old 06-17-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Sure. What it does is help you stage the car. Say your at the first beam on the transbrake, you use the pulse to "bump" you into the second beam. Most Turbo cars take a little bit to spool so if your on the second beam and you sit there spooling tthe turbo the light is green and your still waiting. While the other car is already going down the track. It really doesn't matter unless your competing I just wanted something since I have stock ish brakes and it can't hold this car for **** so ill be fully into boost and just slowly bump it into the second light and take off. There's videos on it just type it in YouTube
Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Doug,

It is what is known as a "bump box". What happens is a pulse width modulated signal is sent from this box to his trans brake solenoid. Depending on the PWM frequencies determines how far the car "bumps" into the beams with each bump of the "bump button" in the car.

Instead of having to spool your turbo on the footbrake, which normally needs a set of dual rear calipers when you're making big power to hold it in place....you can spool on your trans brake and then bump into the beams once your boost is built.

A lot of test and tune racers just pull in light both beams and sit on the trans brake until they have enough boost built to launch. IMO these guys will never be able to race anyone and will never be able to practice cutting a good light and staging consistently. I know most guys will say, "I don't have a race car and I don't plan on racing competitively so it doesn't matter to me."

Well, what happens when that cocky guy with a Mustang at the track calls you out one day and wants to run you? You going to sit on the trans brake all day long while he tears your front bumper off from dragging you down the track? You think he's going to wait on your car until you leave and let you leave first because you can't build any boost to save your life on the foot brake and cut a good light?

I feel like a lot of turbo guys sell themselves short in racing by doing what I just said. I feel that they should either learn to tune their car properly to get it to spool quickly and easily on the foot brake or run a bump box. Then be able to bump into the 2nd light instead of sitting on their trans brake. Even running the bump box I feel that they should still learn how to properly build boost by manipulating timing and air fuel ratios in their tune.

These bump boxes will help tremendously so that they can pull into the first light, press and hold their trans brake button while flooring the car getting it to spool very easily and quickly. Then they will tap their bump button once or twice to "bump" the car into the beams while still holding their trans brake button. Once that last yellow flashes let go of the trans brake button and hang on!
Thanks for the info. I know how a bump box functions, but I wasn't sure exaclty what I was looking at in the picture. Good stuff.

Doug
Old 06-17-2013, 05:43 PM
8 Second Club

Just got the billet wheel in today so much nicer than the original cast

Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks nasty lol
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 AM
8 Second Club

We will see how it does tonight with the new wheel! Hope to get into the 9s same boost and timing

Old 06-19-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

We will see how it does tonight with the new wheel! Hope to get into the 9s same boost and timing

make sure and get some good video Doug
Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

Well???
Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^what he said lol
Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 AM
8 Second Club

Only got to run 3 passes before getting the boot and my licensing paperwork.
1st pass spun like crazy (Did a terrible burnout)
2.1 60ft lol
139 Trap
2nd pass was told do not go over 135 also need neck brace and gloves.
3rd pass babied it 1.7 60ft 10.1@141mph. Need more seat time but now need to get licensed so cant really test it out. This was with only 14psi instead of the 16 i ran the last time out so the new billet wheel is obv making more power.
Also Trans is getting too hot. There is something wrong with my converter its an ATI and is not right for my 3.08 gears. Talked to the trans shop this morning since it got too hot and leaked fluid out of the front seal. I need a new converter and also going to get the seal replaced. Calling PTC today to get something in the works.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

That sucks. I bet you were the fastest car of the night though???

I'm legal now for my times finally, going tomorrow to get some data logged and practice.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
That sucks. I bet you were the fastest car of the night though???

I'm legal now for my times finally, going tomorrow to get some data logged and practice.
Im not sure what was there i only saw a few guys run. This kid Raif and his 9.5@145 Evo was there His best pass so far.
Once i get more seat time i'll be fine but as expected running into issues.
Awesome your legal now! They are doing a Friday night street night??
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Awesome your legal now! They are doing a Friday night street night??
Yeah they are, but I want to go on Sat, think I'll get more runs in.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice doug. 141 trap is rollin. Picking up 2mph and a tenth with less boost. The new wheel must be doing a good job. Turn in to 18psi and you'll need a chute lol
Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
Yeah they are, but I want to go on Sat, think I'll get more runs in.
I'm tempted to go just to work on my launch as long as I keep it under 135 ill be fine
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
Nice doug. 141 trap is rollin. Picking up 2mph and a tenth with less boost. The new wheel must be doing a good job. Turn in to 18psi and you'll need a chute lol
Ya man it's awesome just gotta work on a few things to be expected since it was a cam only stock drivetrain a year ago.
When I get the ebc ill ramp it up to 20 by 3rd gear.

Quick Reply: LQ4 S480 Build